Ian Hunter diagnosed with tinnitus.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

If it wasn't directed at me why did you direct it at me? That's my post you responded to. :rolleyes:

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, tell me about it. We can start with the god-awful arthritis. Now there's a "gift" that keeps on giving.

Sharp 1080, Larry Mc and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Well it wasn't directed at you. Why would it have been?

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just watched that video. I heard an amazing interview with the former roadie named Neville Chesters, who pointed out that the explosion was made much worse because the sound stage where the Smothers Brothers show was filmed was completely airtight. An explosion inside of an airtight compartment could possibly rupture people's eardrums.

Michael Rose likes this.
  5. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Alcohol, caffeine, stress, illness, tiredness all exacerbate tinnitus for me. I have relatively mild tinnitus and do everything I can to avoid further damage.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As a music lover, the very thought of Tinnitus is enough to send shivers down my spine. As we age we lose our ability to hear to various degrees, but to add Tinnitus on top is just an horrendous affliction. I don't have Tinnitus, but I certainly feel for those that do. In a world where we're curing diseases, doing transplants, and editing genes, we're still stuck with some things which affect far too many people day in and day out. I feel for you guys.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I haven't been able to quell it. I've found ways to minimize it. What works best for me is to try and ignore it. I could see where it could drive you crazy if you dwell on it.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Christ you just described my average day! :D

elaterium and xybert like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Yep, got it in both knees.

10. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I suffer from it and once you have it, you have it. The ringing eventually becomes background noise, at least for me. The first couple of months were very difficult; it was hard to sleep; but I got used to it.

Sharp 1080 and videoman like this.
  11. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

:D

It kind of helps me to cope with it, like I can tell myself "okay it's just bad right now because i'm stressed and overtired or I've been drinking etc" etc.

noname74 and videoman like this.
  12. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I was suicidal at first. It’s been 2 years now and I guess I’ve acclimated to it. Still, I wish it wasn’t there.

videoman likes this.
  13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It is an occupational hazard for Rock Stars. He should rest his ears and do whatever the Doctors tell him. I hope he gets back on the road uses earplugs.

All us middle-age-plus rock fans have some degree of tinnitus. Mine is very mild because I started to protect my hearing more in my early 40’s.

14. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Whoa. That's very Beethoven of him. Seriously though, that's rough. The in ear monitors must be the #1 technology responsible for extending a performers career.

videoman and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I had that feeling too. Previous to getting tinnitus when I got a cold the ears would get noisy and then go away. Then it wouldn’t go away. When the ENT said I had tinnitus and the noise wouldn’t go away, I felt my life was over and I wanted to take the pipe. However, over time I got used to it.

elaterium and bluesky like this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Tinnitus never gets better - only worse. DON'T make it worse. It's forever and there is No cure.

Just don't fight it... 'accept' it, as with all injuries. It is the way it is - accept it and get on with life.

:shrug:

Find a cure, or even a real way to reduce the noise ... and your an instant mega Millionaire.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Joseph.McClure likes this.
  17. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

I like to think of tinnitus as being the tape-hiss on the soundtrack of life.

*edit: my relatively mild/intermittently annoying tinnitus that is.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. DrumMan

DrumMan Well-Known Member

Hey people, just joined so I could get in on this discussion

I'm a drummer, lost a lot of my high frequency hearing and came down with severe intrusive tinnitus about eight years ago

In my early stage my life came to a crashing halt. My tinnitus is extremely loud, an ultra shrill high frequency scream 24/7. It's louder than any environment I find myself in and it's grating shrillness was almost impossible to handle

My life was over, I knew it for a fact. There was no way I could live with this insanity inside my head. My life was a living hell

To make a long story short, today my tinnitus is still the exact same thing it was in the beginning, ultra loud and horrifically shrill, but I'm fine. I've recovered my normal life

Tinnitus distress is not a life sentence, far from it. My thoughts and focus go up and over the noise, and that renders the noise impotent. It's there but it's not there, meaning you can tune it out by not being consciously aware of it

I learned what tinnitus really is and what it really isn't from some very knowledgeable people who went through the same hell as me. If anyone is suffering badly from tinnitus distress, I'll be happy to offer some information, insight and advice

19. DrumMan

Tinnitus is tied to the electricity within our bodies. The phantom noise is caused by neurons seeking something they're missing, In my case, they're searching for my lost high frequency hearing

Tinnitus is usually caused by hearing issues, but some people with perfect hearing get it too, although it's rare. Tinnitus is also inside the head, inside the cranium. It's not in the ears as widely considered, although it certainly seems like it for many people

Better research and development is being done today, but it's an immensely complex condition. Not many volunteers for someone to open the skull and poke around

Right now habituation is the only thing that works for a majority of sufferers, but I can tell you it's true relief

I'm going to lay something on all of you that will sound ridiculous and absurd, just as I thought it was ridiculous and absurd when I heard it, over and over again

It took me awhile to comprehend it and believe in it, but it's the absolute truth....

The noise isn't the real problem, distorted thinking is. Distorted thinking is what drives the fear, and that fear drives the distress

Sounds crazy I know, but again, it's the truth

I'll leave it at that for now. If anyone is interested, I'll write more

friend74 and Alien Reg like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

The only time I really notice my tinnitus is when I'm reading this thread.

quicksrt, Manapua and Terry like this.
  21. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Hope he copes with it mentally. It can be difficult.

22. DrumMan

'The only time I really notice my tinnitus is when I'm reading this thread"

That's the place where you want to be with this condition Chris, only noticing it when you're intentionally thinking about it. My thoughts and focus will occasionally move to my tinnitus a few times during the day and night too, but I easily move away from it

It's an amazing thing, I've got a banshee on crack screaming it's lungs out inside my head. An intense, ultra high frequency shrill scream that never stops or relents for a second, yet I'm not consciously aware of it for long periods if time, as my life at hand takes all my focus

The key to recovery is, once you no longer fear the noise, once it's no longer a threat, it turns into a sometimes annoying ailment like a million other little pain in the ass things we all deal with

Tinnitus coupled with fear equals a life altering and possibly life threatening condition

Tinnitus minus that fear equals a condition that you can live normally with

friend74 likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It was worth it to hear The Who, Stones, Zeppelin, etc. etc. in a properly amplified arena with their new album on tap! Nothing like the roar of being up front!

footlooseman likes this.
  24. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Horrible. Only wish him the best

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.