Inside Llewyn Davis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HiFi Guy 008, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A folk singer trying to get his life together in 1961 Greenwich Village.
    Loosely based on David Van Ronk. Music produced by T Bone Burnett. Co-starring a big orange cat he reluctantly carries around with him. From the trailers I've seen it looks very interesting. The Coen Brothers stated that the film has no real plot, so they threw the cat in at the last minute. Good idea, and guess who seems to steal the scenes? The TV trailer is much bette than the few online.

Opening Dec 6.

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

"Just lay down on the floor young missy."

3. HiFi Guy 008

You know more about folk music than I do. Please elaborate.

I expect a lot of discussion about this film on the Forums. I'm not a 1960's folk music guy. But I'm going to see this as soon as possible.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I can't wait to see this. It's getting strong reviews on Rotten Tomatoes (93% at the moment).

5. HiFi Guy 008

And the lead is...Guatemalan. Makes it even more interesting.

Lord knows there are so many talented people here now that have been untapped.

And the fact that they cast Timbelake is even more surprising. Not a fan, but wow he does well in the trailer.

6. woody

woody Forum Resident

I know nothing about Folk but have watched way too much Raising Arizona, which I was doing for the umpteenth time when I posted. Sorry, for that.

I'll definitely be seeing this one.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The movie has got a weird, soft, very ugly look, but I'm expecting good things in terms of story and acting. I always say, "even a bad Coen Brothers film is better than many other filmmakers' good films."

8. HiFi Guy 008

It doesn't look like a Coen brothers film, agreed. Obviously going for a more rough "indie" look. I'll bet the cat steals the show.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He carried on his shoulder a... Siamese cat! (OK, more an orange cat, but still.)

How the hell does that cat put up with being on a NY subway? Maybe it was different in 1961.

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I read they literally tied the cats (there were five of them) to the actor, who didn't particularly like cats.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

must see !

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

First Coen Bros movie (in recent memory at least) where the great Roger Deakins wasn't involved. I was a bit worried when I first read that. Still, for me this is one of the most anticipated movies in some time. Can't wait to see it!

Check out this neat gallery at the NYT on how they worked to recreate 60s-era New York on a budget.
    http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/12/08/magazine/08llewyn_ss.html?ref=movies

dan c

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Vidiot likes this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I got the opposite impression about the film's look from the trailer I saw. We'll see when the film gets here (which I'm starting to doubt will be this year).

15. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

As a tuneup for this film, I rented 'Burn After Reading' (which I'd not seen before). I've never liked Brad Pitt more!
    Hilarious.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Every Coen Brothers movie is worth a look. When they're good, they're great. When they're not as good they're still interesting.

17. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Saw it at a sneak preview Thursday. A well made film about a not so good guy. Like Coen Bros films but this didn't leave you feeling good though it obviously wasn't supposed to.

18. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I saw the film today.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Dylan sees the film.

He makes a faux appearance at the end - and one of his previously unreleased (but presumably bootlegged) recordings is used in the film
    so I'm sure Bob had an opportunity to see the film - if he so chose...

The character is not supposed to be Dylan - but I suspect the constant search for money by a struggling musician is very familiar to him.

I've only seen ONE Coen Brothers movie that I didn't enjoy.

"The Ladykillers" from 2004 (with Tom Hanks) just didn't seem up to the high standard that the Coens' have established.

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  19. I know it used Dave Van Ronks biography as a starting point or influence but it was never intended to be a bio about him like the Johnny Cash or Ray Charles or even Buddy Holly or Richie Valens bio. I saw an interview with the Cohens discussing that it was a fictional composite of folk singers of the time and yes used Ronk as the inspiration. But the film is more in line of Woody Allen's Sweet and Low about a guitarists haunted by Django Reinhardt. if one goes in expecting a folk bio of the time and really knows of that history, they might be disappointed. I liked the film a lot but , but I knew what I was going into so I never expected any historical accuracy at all. I did like that they included lots of the folk cliche genres of the time. The tame folkies too. Isaacs was great. There is a good live concert now on Showtime that presents some of the music and related songs it's call Another Day Another Time. Check it out. Especially the Milk Carton Kids Wow.

20. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Wow is right. I watched that Showtime special twice, and was blown away by the Milk Carton Kids. Very talented guys, they have a big world tour coming up. I hope to catch them in L.A. (their home base), which is about their last stop on the tour.

It seems there's a bit of a folk resurgence. Great music, very fresh compared to all the boring EDM, reap and pop that seem to surround us. I really appreciate the acoustic instruments, clear sonics, and lack of compression.

I haven't seen the film yet but very much want to. I knew nothing of it before seeing the special and after learning of the topic -- the NYC folk scene just before Dylan exploded onto the scene -- I said to my wife "What a great idea for a movie!" A few seconds later, someone in the special said exactly the same thing.

Kudos to the Coens for exploring this in film. My mom and dad were sort of fringe folkies, and that scene means a lot to me.

Can't wait to see it.

21. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

22. I enjoyed the film but don't expect quirky coens or anything historic but the music is great. I just ordered the milk carton kids LP cd combo from amazon. Not sure if their music is in the film but yes they are amazing with room to grow

23. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I enjoyed this one a lot. It's a slice of life movie showing the extremes, from absurdity to heartwrenching. I'm a freak when it comes to the Coen brothers, not always liking the critical faves (Fargo, O Brother...) but liking their lighter fare like Lebowski and Hudsucker Proxy. But this one resonated with me - it's a heavily flawed character's karmic journey.

Claudio Dirani and vince like this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

This is another Coens movie that tips the scale toward drama rather than comedy, alongside "True Grit" and "No Country for Old Men." In fact it felt more downbeat than those films, even though there is no death or violence in it, because the protagonist is so powerless.

It also shares with "No Country" and "Serious Man" an abrupt ending with no conventional climax or resolution, so be prepared.

25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I saw it last night and loved it. A much more existential journey about the pursuit of passion than anything else, which I wasn't expecting but really appreciated.

johnny 99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.