Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Classicolin, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist Thread Starter

eric777 likes this.
  2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'm actually okay with this as I was very pleasantly surprised by Force Awakens. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

3. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

:yawn:... what, really??? Could a safer and more boring choice have been made? Is every other talented director in Hollyweird not available right now?

Aaaaaand there goes my last remaining interest in this franchise... still interested in seeing what Rian Johnson has done on the upcoming installlment though, apparently he was asked to come back for IX and he declined.

From here on, it's either a restored re-release of the OT (Only Trilogy)'s theatrical versions or it's a big bucket of GTFO.

Thank God for Denis Villenueve.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    showtaper, The Doctor, enro99 and 3 others like this.
  4. Classicolin

I was also pleasantly surprised by his direction on TFA (other than the shimmering gleam to the film and the often plastic-esque aesthetic), and the acting of the cast members, but its plot, which Abrams largely presided over and co-wrote, was severely derivative and 'undercooked', not to mention vapid even for a Fantasy blockbuster film, in my opinion.

I would be content with him returning to direct IX with (a) skilled writer(s) handling the plot...but this is also going to be co-written by a Chris Terrio, who I heard nothing about until this announcement. Apparently, his resume includes the dreadful Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice and contributed to the more meritorious, but empty-headed, Argo. I do not expect anything but cliché and basic action in Episode IX's narrative from this combination.

Abrams has his charm as a director, and, unlike with Star Trek, he definitely understands the essence of Star Wars, at least visually, but JJ should be kept a lightyear or two away from a pen and paper - as a rule.

mpayan likes this.
  5. Classicolin

I love Rian Johnson's masterful directorial work on Breaking Bad, so I was ecstatic at his selection for The Last Jedi. Unfortunately, Johnson has highly praised the tasteless visual aesthetic of the Prequel Trilogy, and what's been seen so far in the costume design and overall look of Episode VIII suggest that the Prequels have been a significant influence on his work on the film.

In fact, I almost wonder if JJ has been asked to return due to his well-known revulsion of all things Prequel Trilogy. Perhaps Johnson's SW will disgust us OT fans, or is just too experimental or daring, in their estimate, for more than one movie in the franchise, necessitating a swing-back to JJ's safer and more derivative approach, which is guaranteed not to offend the common movie-goer.

The Hermit likes this.
  6. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

This could work. Rain Johnson should be allowed in on the writing. And if Abrams holds over some of Rian's direction aesthetics from Ep. 8 then continuity of form might be achieved.

7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Bugger. JJ wouldn't haven't been my first choice.

Or 10th.

Or 50th....

Drifter likes this.
  8. Classicolin

JJ's a Top 10 choice...if you're a Walt Disney Corporation shareholder. For all of his mediocrity and unoriginality, Abrams has the Midas Touch when it comes to box office yields.

Villenueve is an absolutely brilliant director. I'd love to see him interpret the Star Wars mythology.

SandAndGlass and enro99 like this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Didn't realize there was a new thread, so I'll copy/paste my reply from the other one:

Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love.

I was pleased with TFA, so JJ returning to direct IX gives me confidence that it'll be good. I can imagine TFA's detractors aren't thrilled about it, though.

10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

He got things back on track with TFA.....and I wouldn't imagine he will be remaking ROTJ now.

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I miss 1980-1982, when Star Wars and Empire were the most important things in my life.

Both TFA and Rogue One were entertaining and enjoyable films and a definite step-up from the four before. If I don't like IX it doesn't really matter because Disney will keep pumping them out until they stop making money and there will be another one along in a year or less.

12. gabacabriel

Sad to say, but you've hit the nail on the head.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think this is good news -- he's competent, a known quantity, can make commercial films, and loves the job. I don't see a down side to this.

More industry coverage here:

JJ Abrams Returning To Director’s Chair On ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’

'Star Wars' Fans Split on JJ Abrams' Return for Episode IX: 'Again???'

J.J. Abrams to Replace Colin Trevorrow as Director of ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’

In other news, the Brinks Armored Transport company announced they're building a special mammoth truck needed to carry all the money from Disney that is being delivered to Mr. Abrams in order to facilitate his return.

SandAndGlass, Jrr, PH416156 and 9 others like this.
  14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Other than Fringe and The Force Awakens I hate everything Abrams has been involved in with a fiery passion. Looking forward to Episode IX.

David Campbell likes this.
  15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, if you ask nice, I bet Rick Berman would be glad to take a whack at it...

16. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I liked what JJ did with The Force Awakens. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Here's a nice debate on the pros and cons of having J.J. Abrams return for Star Wars IX:

Is J.J. Abrams the Right Choice for 'Star Wars: Episode IX'?

And the release date has been pushed back to December 2019 to give the new director an additional 6 months to work on the film:

Disney Swaps Release Dates for 'Star Wars: Episode IX' and 'Aladdin'

I think in terms of making a commercial film, where Abrams will get along with everybody and do what's needed to get the movie ready in time for release and on budget, Abrams makes total sense, particularly from a corporate point of view. It's not taking a big risk for the studio. I personally think it would be a lot more interesting to see a director with a strong personality take the reins, but I get that they need to keep a tight leash on spending $200M+ on the film.

SandAndGlass and IronWaffle like this.
  18. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I am curious who you guys would think would be a better option to direct then JJ Abrams.

Keeping in mind that the movie most likely over $100 million to be invested in it.

so you need to go with somewhat of a known entity who has proven their ability hi budget hi effects driven cinema.

That being said I agree Villenueve would be a good choice

Robert C likes this.
  19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Well, since you've got this all figured out already, I guess you needn't bother buying any movie tickets...

20. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I really hope that these next 2 movies take the movie in a direction that hasn't been explored. Like for example, you could have the bad guys come out on top in the final movie of the trilogy. I hope that Episode IX doesn't have Rey taking off Luke's mask to reveal the father she never knew. Or something like that.

21. Classicolin

Colin Trevorrow should not have even been hired for IX, and why he was is entirely demonstrative of the exclusive profit-motivation of Star Wars in the Disney age. I'm not terribly opposed to Abrams' directorial style. I enjoyed Super-8 and I thought he did a commendable job on The Force Awakens as a director, and it was clearly a labour of love, as his first inkling to going into film came from watching the 1977 Star Wars in the theatre as a child. As for his interpretation of 'Star Trek', well...that was simply far too much of a deviation from what I love about Trek for my liking, and it exceedingly reflected his life-long disinterest in the franchise.

However, I am strongly disinclined to Abrams' writing contributions. Other than Han, Leia, and Kylo Ren's Solo/Skywalker family plot-line, The Force Awakens was a vapid, unoriginal, rehashing of several tropes and elements of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back and contributed nothing of substance to the Star Wars saga. I attribute the Solo/Skywalker family plot development and Han's arc to Kasdan, and the rest of it to JJ. Did we need Captain Phasma (i.e. Boba Fett 3.0)? What was the point of casting Gwendoline Christie in such an uneventful role, and then having some utterly random Stormtrooper duel Finn for no reason whatsoever? Rehashing the Death Star-concept once again was simply lazy, and nothing about that film made Rey, Poe, or Finn particularly compelling. The man may be a box-office god, but JJ Abrams is devoid of originality or writing talent, and I especially don't think coupling him with a writer whose resume includes only two feature films, one of which was one of the most horrendous pictures released in the superhero genre (Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice) is simply unsound.

My aversion to the Prequel Trilogy may have reached the point where I don't even consider it part of my 'head-canon' for Star Wars (and it has), but I nonetheless think George Lucas should have actually been maintained as a creative consultant if not a co-writer, whose...err...less savoury ideas could be dispensed with by a keen editor and final script writer. Lucas, for all of his poor-taste and deterioration as a director in recent decades, is still a talented idea-man. If George commanded too much of a fee, created too many difficulties, or simply contributed entirely poor ideas for his rejected treatment for Episode VII, then talented writers at all corners are available. Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm, Ltd., other than hiring Abrams as a director, has been entirely questionable in this capacity.

It was a disgrace to see Star Wars tarnished into the banal, unadulterated, tasteless affront to the senses that it became from 1997-2011, but this once magical saga that originated as a labour of love from a (once) visionary director from an independent studio degeneration into its present nature as a generic, blockbuster franchise - with nothing but box-office yieldings in mind during creation - is heartbreaking.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't know... to me the problem is that even though there's a whole universe of planets and creatures to play with, the Star Wars saga is kind of hemmed in by its story requirements. It's not like Star Trek, where the concept can be extended to encompass essentially any kind of science fiction story. Star Wars is required to be about, well, wars -- the war between the light and the dark side of the force, and between the good and the bad armies fighting for those sides. The plot of each film has to incorporate spaceship battles, and lightsaber fights, and Jedi and Sith and droids and stormtroopers and plucky rebels and evil empires. If they go outside of that template it's not Star Wars anymore. So I'm not sure what they can do, really, to keep future installments from feeling repetitive on one level or another.

23. gabacabriel

I agree with virtually everything you said....until the last line. It isn't all about the box-office for Disney.

It's about the TOYS as well!!!!

24. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Him directing it doesn't bother me too much. I did feel TFA was a tad overlong and some scenes could've been excised (Guavian Death Gang scene anybody?) Him writing it concerns me. I always liked the original plan of Abrams/Johnson/Trevorrow (or a 3rd option). Different flavors for each chapter of the Sequel Trilogy, much like the Original Trilogy ultimately had different flavoring for each film.

I didn't love THE FORCE AWAKENS ― but I did like it. After the Original Trilogy, it's the only Star Wars film I even consider worthy of discussion (just my opinion). It did what it needed to do.

Also, the fact that they moved the release date to December 2019 doesn't surprise me in the least. In fact, how they were ever going to have a big budget film with effects out the wazoo ready for May 2019 is beyond me.

So, I guess we'll see. I just wish someone else was writing it.

25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Enough with Teh Star Warz already! I enjoy the films, but even I'm sick to death of the whole thing.

Disney was always going to err on the side of total saturation when they bought the licence, but this constant news cycle blabber about hire and fire is so contrived - just an endless stream of branding recognition and publicity. Bleh.

ianuaditis and The Hermit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.