Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield star in "The Eyes Of Tammy Faye" (09/17/2021)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pghmusiclover, Sep 12, 2021.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I am really looking forward to this movie, but unfortunately I just am still not comfortable with going to a theater, so I will wait until it's available on VOD.

During much of her lifetime I always thought Tammy Faye was a caricature and a punchline. However, I recall later in life when I saw her on talk shows, she seemed like a very genuine person, and she genuinely cared for people with AIDS, at a time when that just was not considered proper.

Here's an interesting story about her interview with an AIDS patient in 1985.

AIDS Activist, Steve Pieters: 35 Years after his Interview with Tammy Faye — WUSSY MAG

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

That should be interesting, though Jessica would not have been my first choice - maybe someone like Amy Poehler, who seems to more closely resemble Tammy. Nevertheless, it will be provoking discussion, I'm sure.

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Interesting. I'll probably watch it one day. I did see the original doc years ago, and walked away kind of liking Tammy Faye (and really hating Jim). The parts I remember most were her writing letters, and those puppets who spoke out the title cards.

4. pghmusiclover

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Another Oscar nom for Jessica. She's the real deal.

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is this not the exact same title as the 2000 documentary on Tammy Faye? I watched that and it was interesting, but it had the real person. Can't say this really interests me at all.

7. pghmusiclover

It is indeed the same title. As the Variety article says:

So Showalter, who based the film on Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato’s 2000 documentary of the same name (the script is by the TV-series scribe Abe Sylvia), made the shrewd decision to play it all straight.

8. pghmusiclover

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If you'e not comfortable, don't go. I go about twice a week and here's always ONE idiot in the theater coughing, without fail.

I've seen this trailer about six times and never realized it was Jessica Chastain!

10. pghmusiclover

11. pghmusiclover

It’s interesting that even if I wanted to see this in a theater, it’s not playing anywhere in my area!

12. Drew

Drew Senior Member

My mother sent money to Jim and Tammy Faye in the 1980's... and a bunch of other televangelists over the years. Another reason why I don't own a TV, too much religion... not enough sex and violence.

Chris DeVoe and smilin ed like this.
  13. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I'm looking forward to the movie.

It's sad Tammy Faye was made the joke through this though I always got a chuckle out of the t-shirt.

[​IMG]

The PTL Club broadcast was our favorite hate-watch in the early to mid-eighties (my crew and I watched this after our night-shift while waiting for the bus to go home) so I got to see the rise and fall of the PTL empire in real time.

14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It's amazing this sort of thing persists

15. pghmusiclover

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'll watch it when it comes to a one of my streaming services, but the documentary was fabulous; it humanized her and I felt great empathy for her.

Not actually Roger, of course :angel:

How inconsiderate! I never heard a single cough in a movie theater before the pandemic! :whistle:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. PunkSaxMix

PunkSaxMix free yourself from apathy

18. pghmusiclover

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just saw this and may have nightmares. Jessica is unrecognizable in this role…

20. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Undoubtedly coughing on purpose , as one does.

21. pghmusiclover

Congrats to Jessica for winning the Oscar for Best Actress!

Chris DeVoe, 905 and Veggie Boy like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Very well deserved. One of the hardest jobs for an actor to do, is to play a well-known real person, especially an oversized personality like Tammy Faye Baker, without making her into a caricature.

Amy Poehler would have been funny, but wouldn't have been able to present her empathetically.

Veggie Boy and pghmusiclover like this.
  23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just watched the DVD and quite glad to have bought it. I knew of her but only as figure of fun, and have never explored the world of televangelism, only knew the headlines and satires.

Even Jim Bakker got some sympathy from me in this movie, though I kept thinking of Mr Rogers when Jim accuses Tammy of whining. Made me laugh out loud.

Wonder how much of the dialogue in the non-public scenes came from well-researched sources or was from the imagination of the script writers? Next in line for treatment - the Duffy Strode Story?