Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

For me I'd pay a £1-2 more to buy a CD instore, but the examples you gave for thriller and Led Zep would never happen!

Pouchkine and Man at C&A like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Looking at the bottom of the email and having spoken to customer services about the evasiveness of the reply I got, HMV doesn't legally exist anymore. It's just a badge which Sunrise are using as it has a prestige and history in this country that Sunrise just doesn't. The bottom of the email has this generic text that will be on all emails. This is just part of it with the name in:

"No responsibility is accepted by Sunrise Records and Entertainment Limited in this regard..."

Eric_Generic likes this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

If HMV has what I want, and it's only £1-2 more, I will always get it there, especially if it's in packaging that could get crushed. But it seems the price differential is getting bigger...£4, 5, maybe even £12 for some....crazy.

EG.

Dubmart, Pouchkine and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I think the days of retail shopping are numbered..parking costs , lack of choice and stock in stores , empty towns full of charity shops , ghost town centres ....vs sitting at home in the warm and endless choice and more often than not cheaper .. I go to record shops when I’m in a town centre but to be out shopping is now a rarity for me ... also on hmv be careful if you call a store to check on stock ..I got stung royally over Xmas on a short phone call

Eric_Generic likes this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Online e-tailers and downloads aren't meant to have the same overheads and running costs as bricks-&-mortar shops, so why are albums £13 or more on places like 7digital and Qobuz, if I want to have them in the same quality as a CD but without the disc, booklet, case or production costs....

I can sort of understand why HMV have to keep to the £12-ish prices for the standard CDs.

EG.

6. Gavaxeman

I’ve been on leave this week so out and about a bit more than usual, I’ve visited 4 HMV’s across the Midlands (Leicester, Wolverhampton, 2 in Birmingham) ..

And spent nothing ...

That’s gotta be a worry for them..I must be their ideal demographic ..40-50, probably have disposable income and a buyer of physical product ..

I buy a LOT of music , and have been for 40 years .. I brought records this week, cds last week, But nothing from hmv . I brought vinyl in Wolverhampton, Birmingham and CDs/vinyl via eBay and Amazon this week.

Hmv’s Pricing is ridiculous..for example £39.99 for single vinyl Prince albums, average album prices £25 , nothing of true worth in the sale sections, CD’s that were 2 for £10 now 2 for £12.. I just can’t see them surviving much longer ..

On another point I’ve been looking with the wife for her next car , 4 manufacturers and no CD players in any ..and even more worrying for the planet , none offering electric or even hybrid in our price range (which is £30k!) .. I was told by one I needed to double my budget for an eco car

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The catalogue prices in HMV are ridiculous. £37 for the Howard Jones 3-disc set, something like £28 for the Kim Wildes...and so on. I don't mind £12.99 vs 11.99 (I picked up a New Musik twofer for that small extra cost), and they had the special 2-disc edition of the new Pet Shop Boys. But it was very uninspiring in general, and the store was a lot quieter than ever before. Maybe because of Half-Term, maybe because of the virus scares, I don't know.

Oh, and they had Salt on Blu-Ray for £3.49, which I couldn't resist.

EG.

Dubmart, Pouchkine, Gavaxeman and 2 others like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I went in yesterday. Then went out back out quickly.

9. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Least you had the option to walk in! I've no local record shop now. Closest to me at work is a HMV/Fopp in Covent garden which is a tube ride/walk away so I don't stick my head in unless I'm going in that direction.

Hence I'm now reliant on Amazon/downloads/spotify.

10. Gavaxeman

So another nil purchase in hmv Telford yesterday, but was advised they are having a massive store vinyl sale today for anyone interested, not sure if it’s nationwide or online

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Gavaxeman

Some of the last exclusives dropped in price on the website ..a few sold out but still a couple of decent ones (Marvin Gaye, Bluesbreakers) that I picked up

12. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

For my part, I only tend to buy at HMV when their prices are competitive - their sales are generally quite good, foe example. But their day-to-day pricing is horrible.

Case in point - the Mission:Impossible 6 movie 4K box set is currently £40 on Zoom (comfortably trumping the normal online price, which is around £70). Guess what the shop price was at my local HMV in Bristol?

£100 :yikes:

13. aladdinziggydogs

aladdinziggydogs Forum Resident

Just had email hmv temporary closing all its stores!

14. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

It’s not a shock, the right thing to do.

The government will be paying 80% of the staff’s wages for at least 3 months, so hopefully HMV can see this out.

Gavaxeman and Eric_Generic like this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

John Lewis, IKEA, all the Arcadia group chains, and I think Waterstones (at least my local Waterstones) have also closed, so this is the way it's going at the moment.

EG.

16. aladdinziggydogs

It is the right thing to do, just glad I picked my hurting box set up on friday as I nearly left it till tomorrow!!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Gavaxeman

Wonder if ikea doing internet orders ?

I’ve just started redoing my music room so will need shelving soon for vinyl

18. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Gavaxeman likes this.
  19. Gavaxeman

All my local Midlands record stores now closed ....hence the decorating...think we are a week away from total lock down

20. aladdinziggydogs

Yes I think you are right there!

21. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

I was in Fopp on Friday getting the new Morrissey album, glad I got it on the day of release and didn’t leave it a few days.

aladdinziggydogs and Gavaxeman like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was in HMV this morning and I saw this, just the standard single disc current pressing of Neil Young - Harvest for £39.99. I thought it was an HMV rip off but it's over £37 on Amazon. One of the HMV staff said the suppliers are taking the piss. There's something very wrong somewhere.
    [​IMG]

A lot of the vinyl was fairly priced but there are certain titles that are priced unbelievably high. There seems to be more and more of them too.

I bought the Neil Young - Homegrown vinyl for £19.99. Good stuff.

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a ridiculous price.

Is this a deliberate move to kill off the vinyl boom? Certainly feels like it.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know what's going on. Because HMV are now a new company (Sunrise) since the takeover I was told they aren't getting many deals from the record companies / suppliers, but also they seem to be putting a 100% mark up on the dealer prices. It will be truly sad if people actually pay this. There was loads of £29.99 and £34.99 single albums on the racks.

To be fair and for balance there is a 2 for £30 offer on with some good titles in, but it's getting noticeable that it's mostly the same titles reduced each time they have a deal or sale on.

Eric_Generic and carlwm like this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Where I am, they closed down the big store and opened a smaller one with considerably less stock. There seems to be much less in the way of genre music even though I reckon it's the old rockers and folkies that actually want physical product (although not at forty quid a pop!).

I'll miss it if it ever goes but it's not what it was.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.