Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was lucky to get Denver tickets. Row M. I can't believe how fast they sold out.

This will be the 5th time I have seen them.

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Total BS, I like the Oils, but not a fan enough to endure the Price Gouging for the box sets.
    Someone should post on their FaceBook page that all those shows are not sold out.
    If they want to pay scalper prices, they can get tickets right now on Stub Hub.
    The concert business is really a sick joke for the fans that really want to see live music. :thumbsdow

MrGrumpy and shirtandtie like this.
  3. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

It might behoove them to list what's on the overflow box since I'm sure there are a whole lot of people waiting for a track list before buying. I'm not touching it until I know what's on it.

morgan1098 likes this.
  4. shirtandtie

Yup! There was no way I was going if I hadn't been able to grab two tickets via the Citibank presale. If I was shut out there it was YouTube videos for this 37 year fan. I will not play ball with elitist corporate BS.

5. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I found the Overflow Tank on Import CDs: Midnight Oil: The Over Flow Tank [Import] Limited Edition, With CD, Deluxe Edition, Boxed Set on ImportCDs
    The Oils site is a little cheaper.

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

The Big Guy likes this.
  7. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The rarities will remain rare LOL

Runicen likes this.
  8. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

huh.. total BS that they had affordable tickets to their shows? $33 is pretty cheap for these days... the DC area show is sold out....there were plenty of chances for fans to get tickets..

9. hutchenstance

you just don't understand the way things work nowadays... everyone is a scalper these days.... its not just companies..its people who like bands and buy a few extra etc....its people who buy a few tickets and post them at outrageous prices and say to themselves "i'll go unless they sell.."..... i dont' do it but things have changed.... younger people have no trouble paying on stubhub...

times have changed..... if you had the password for the presale - and it was not hard to get- you could get tickets for the Oils.... if you didn't well you can pay the higher price or not..

even the term "scalper" is outdated... its just buy and sell like anything else... and part of the issue in this case is that midnight oil priced their tickets too low.. lower than what people are willing to pay.. which means resellers get into the picture to make that profit..

the live concert business and even the relationship between fans and artists is totally different these days... can anyone imagine david crosby charging people hundreds of dollars for a meet and greet in the 70s? or the grateful dead charging over $100 for some live show set in 77?

10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I bet scalpers will be hit hard with this one, which is good. I just think they snatched up too many.

If you didn't get a ticket I suggest you look on Craigslist closer to the show. Also, it is likely they drop really good tickets the day before or the day of the show.

morgan1098 and VeeDub like this.
  11. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Same here! Why can't they publish those track lists? I remain hopeful that the CDs will be available separately at some point. Probably months from now, but still.

12. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Just caught this in my You Tube feed.

It is going to be known as The Great Circle 2017 World Tour.

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I don't scalp tickets, period. I never sell a ticket for more than I paid, and I'll rarely pay more than face and fees. But that's just me and a few others. It's part of the GD and the Phish scene. In fact, there is an entire ticket exchange dedicated to the face value principal called cashortrade.org.

I don't consider your assertion of "times have changed" and "the relationship between fans and artists is totally different these days" as a justification for much of what goes on with ticket sales. I haven't put a fine point on it, but I would not be surprised if fraud is involved in the actions of the major ticket outlets. And the fact that any such fraud goes unchecked by those in a position to investigate it, and perhaps remedy it to the extent it can be proven, doesn't make it right.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  14. hutchenstance

well I don't do that either.. the GD ? are you kidding me? some of the biggest scalping was the "final" Grateful Dead show... and let us not even talk about the ridiculous prices the Dead was charging! some "scene"!

all shows have scalping..by companies who are not breaking the law so why would it go investigated? and by individuals...

I happen to think a lot of shows should be made "you buy the ticket you have to use it yourself" but that is not going to happen...

my point was you're living in la la land.. times have changed.. .it is not a justification.. just a fact of life... you can get bent out of shape all you want...but you're just wasting your energy..bottom line is look on the bright side: Midnight Oil substantially underpriced their tickets so the fans that got tickets got a sweet deal... the other side of the coin is so did the resellers...... at least for the Fillmore MD show the day of the presale tickets were easy to get... if people weren't up on the presale you can't really hold it against the band..

15. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I'm very surprised that Ticketmaster is allowed to own and run Stubhub. That to me seems to be a massive conflict of interest. I logged in at 10AM on Thursday to buy a couple of tickets for the L.A. Gig. It took me fully 15 minutes and countless tries to nab them. I was sure that I was going to miss out. Luckily I persevered and got an in. I can totally understand the frustration of others not getting a ticket, especially as almost one third of the allocation has ended up on Stubhub. Regardless of one's stance on scalping that is not right.

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. hutchenstance

well i made a lot of points!
    part of the problem is people not knowing the facts.. Ticketmaster does not own Stubhub.. Ebay does.. Ticketmaster has set up their own site for people to resell their tickets.

of course its not right.. but Midnight Oil should have limited people to 2 tickets and said they had to use them themselves and pick them up with ID... but there is a lot of resistance to this by consumers themselves who think they should be able to do whatever they want with their tickets... I think it should be like airplane tickets...you can't transfer those.

17. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Stubhub is owned by eBay. But I agree with you otherwise, and I agree with @hutchenstance that the Oils priced tickets too low - which had the unintended consequence of locking out many real fans.

Absolutely - especially a *supposedly* socially conscious band like the Oils.

18. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Sorry, I stand corrected with regard Stubhub. Regardless, I really do not think that Ticketmaster should be allowed to run its own reselling site. That is absolutely wrong.

jimhb likes this.
  19. hutchenstance

I agree with you..its crazy.

Heck they should not even have allowed the Ticketmaster merger with Live Nation!

jimhb likes this.
  20. shirtandtie

NOT TRUE NOT TRUE! I had the presale password for the LiveNation sale and my browser cycled for 13 minutes, then the Boston show was sold out! No tickets left my butt!

It wasn't until the next day that I was able to pull two out of the Citibank presale, and even then the regular public on sale was happening at the same time and THAT was sold out at 10:00 when it opened.

21. hutchenstance

here in dc the only presale i heard of was easy as pie... i thought it was a band presale though but i really don't remember..

22. shirtandtie

I guess it was easier in some cities rather than others. That doesn't change the fact that Ticketdisaster is definitely messing things up for a lot of people.

23. hutchenstance

there are so many myths about ticketmaster ...ticketmaster does its job together with promoters and bands.. they are all working together.. its not "Ticketmaster is some evil bogeyman" or something.. i don't like them.. i don't like live nation either..but they work in tandem with the bands, venues and the promoter... i used to volunteer at a venue and ticketmaster would give the venue what they called a rebate which essentially was part of the ticket charges.. on some shows that ticket rebate was the difference between a profitable show and a not profitable one...you better believe that what when the venue gave the act an offer sheet they factored in the ticket charges they would get for selling tickets to that act.. in other words what the band is offered in part depends on the money they are going to get for the show which includes the ticket charges

the point is: everyone wants to blame ticketmaster but at the end of the day its everyone working together that makes this the system... what exactly did they mess up in the midnight oil scenario? tickets went on sale and they distributed them.. the shows sold out.. its not ticketmaster's fault that people scalp.. if they didn't do it on ticketmaster they would scalp - as most do- on stubhub...... its very easy to just blame ticketmaster for all the evils in the world but did you know the band you love is essentially going along with it and essentially getting some of the ticket charges back?? i honestly think ticketmaster in part is paid by the bands, promoters and venues to be the "bad guy"

24. shirtandtie

OK here's the deal. I posted this a few pages back but I'll tell ya what happened.

I had two browser tabs open. One for the sale when it started and the other for StubHub. I remember seeing two listings for tickets to the Boston show on StubHub before the LiveNation presale.

Clock strikes 10:00. I pick my selections from the pull down menus and the browser cycles for 13 minutes at which time I'm greeted with a message that it's sold out.

Then magically and instantaneously hundreds and hundreds of tickets show up on StubHub like fireworks! That is NOT fans, scalpers and the like listing their just purchased tickets on StubHub for resale all in the same minute and a half! OBVIOUSLY there's a legal fraud going on here.

25. hutchenstance

no. it is scalpers.. they post stuff right after they buy it.. the best time to sell is right after people get shut out! they panic and go buy overpriced tickets...

also many list tickets BEFORE they even go on sale! they list them knowing they will get them.. then if they don't they take them down.. and they will get them.. they have dozens of computers with high speed connections and they know all the tricks of the game..

there have been a few cases of ticketmaster shennanigans but they don't hold tickets to repost for resale.. there are some holds for promoters etc but they are not posted for resale immediately...

i know you just want to blame the evil ticketmaster and i don't like them at all myself..but they're shady enough without blaming them for stuff they are not doing..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.