Record stores in Hartford/Springfield area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Andrew, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

That's too bad about Dynamite Records. I used to visit them whenever I was in Massachusetts. Last time I was there was in December, and I picked up a few records.

Are there any other record/music stores in Northampton? I also like to visit Newbury Comics whenever I'm in Amherst (Mystery Train always seems to be closed when I visit), About Music in Greenfield, and Turn It Up! in Montague or Brattleboro, Vermont.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Another update to this thread - Music Outlet has moved from their location at the Stop & Shop plaza on Rt. 190 to a new location about a mile and a half up the road. They are in the same strip plaza where Stella's restaraunt used to be.

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Thanks for the update, I'm planning a visit on Tuesday.
    I'm currently in Worcester, MA. Anybody know of any other used vinyl stores in the area? All the ones I used to visit have closed down :(

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

AFAIK, Turn It Up! is the last record outpost in Noho.

5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I was just at Turn It Up a month ago, great selection of used CD's and good prices! Dynamite Records had just closed it's doors the week before I got there. Newbury Comics n Amherst has a good selection of new CD's. Their used CD's are a little pricey. They have some good imports though and a decent size new vinyl section in back.

6. Andrew

I was in Worcester this past Tuesday for a job interview, but didn't have time to look for any record stores there. Did I miss anything worthwhile?

7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I see you're from Agawam, so you're probably already familiar with Newbury Comics. There's one in Shrewsbury. As far as locals go, I'm not sure there's anything worthwhile left. However, though I live one town away from Worcester, I rarely go into that town so I might be missing something.

8. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I didn;t think there was anything left in Worcester since Al-Bums closed...unless you wanna go flea marketing.

Chris

9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

That sounds right to me unfortunately. I went to Al-Bum's a few days before it closed and it was a sad state of affairs. Came home with not a thing.

10. Andrew

Haven't been invited back for a second interview, so I may not have the opportunity to visit Shrewsbury.

11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

With the holidays, there just be a delay in the HR process at the company you interviewed with. Good luck to you wit the search.

12. Andrew

Thanks, got hired today! Looks like I'll be getting acquainted with the Shrewsbury Newbury Comics after all. :goodie:

13. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Congrats. Now get shopping and let us know what you bought with your first check! :)

14. Andrew

"Where The Action Is! Los Angeles Nuggets"

Bought it yesterday after work, had to wait for some dude who was examining it to put it back in the rack(!)

15. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Is that the place with nearly ceiling-high shelves of records in the basement? (Dirt floor, if I recall correctly?)

16. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I never made it down to their basement... but from what I understand- it could very well have been. They had a couple of different locations over the years for the main store... back in the 80's it used to be further away from downtown in a little red building at bottom of hill near Rt 12 and Pleasant St.

In later years it moved closer to downtown- couple blocks behind the Courthouse near the Sole Proprietor restaurent.

Chris

17. Andrew

Update: Whilst driving home from my new job last week, I happened to stumble upon these two places next door to each other in Worcester...

That's Entertainment (244 Park Avenue) Mostly anime, collectors cards and comics, but did have some used vinyl.

Jelly's CDs (246 Park Ave.) Quite a bit of inventory, prices seemed a might high but YMMV. Also had some used vinyl on offer.

18. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I haven't been to these in many years but I used to go to That's Entertainment many times. It is a truly great store, being very much a "collector's store". I built up quite a bit of my comic collection there and they used to carry old role playing games (don't know if they still do). I bought some of my CD's there when I first started collecting CD's and before that, I used to buy a lot of cassettes there. If it's anything like it used to be, it's well worth checking out.

19. I couldn't get to the Cromwell Record Riot in Connecticut over the weekend due to FOs* so I had to console myself with a trip to "Turn It Up!" music and movies in Northampton Mass (had a gift cert. burning a hole in my pants). Good thing too as I picked up Donald Fagen's the Nightfly West Germany target and a West Germany (non-target) of Van Morrison's Moondance minty and cheap :) However I'm on a bit of a CD buying budget so...

...FYI, I left lots of good stuff behind. Someone must have sold a nice old collection to that store recently. There were many older discs in smooth cases, West Germany pressings, jazz on Black Lion, early classical. Have fun if you go.

-s1m0n-

*Family Obligations

20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I've seen That's Entertainment on commercials; never got the impression they had many CD's. I've never even heard of Jelly's and I live one town over from Worcester, but I guess my life revolves around metro-Boston rather than Worcester. Will have to check that place out.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's a good thing you abbreviated it to save time... :angel: :laugh:

22. Yeah, well someone has to invent new acronyms. Might as well be me* ;)

OK, back on topic...

-s1m0n-

*MAWBM (no fee for your own use!)

23. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Platterpuss in the Hampshire Mall in Hadley is closing. The other night CD's were 25% off and vinyl was 20% off.

Too bad - the owner is a nice guy, and I always got a lot of like-new vinyl cheap there.

24. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I didn't even know there was a store in that mall & I was just in Hadley the other day! :realmad: At least I got some goodies at Turn it Up! in Northampton. :winkgrin:

25. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

There was a "Record Shop" in Southbridge that closed last summer. He still had lots of new CDs in the longboxes that he was selling 3 for $10! I bought quite a few of them and sold several for $50-$100. I miss that place. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.