Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

:laughup:

Ben Adams likes this.
  2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yeah, but I only have one of every album, and you have like three or four copies of Caress of Steel alone! :evil:

mikedifr0923 and latheofheaven like this.
  3. latheofheaven

Heh, yeah... but, that's about it! :D Unless you also wanna count my impulsive LOSER European buys of 2112! [​IMG]

So, could you tell that I read all 160 pages of this forum in like 4 days...?

chrischerm, Ben Adams and ArpMoog like this.
  4. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

Can anyone please sum up the verdicts on the these reissues? I particularly interested in AFTK, H and MP.
    Thanks!

latheofheaven likes this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The vinyl? First-rate reissues. Buy with confidence.

6. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Unless you have access to some nice originals!

Tojo and latheofheaven like this.
  7. I agree they are great. But compared to the recent Pink Floyd, Kiss (US) and (specially) Zappa reissues on vinyl, I think the Rush ones are the least great of the bunch.

Tojo and latheofheaven like this.
  8. latheofheaven

As much as I really DO like Ben :) he is just such a very nice fellow that he seems to like EVERYTHING :p Overall, depending on your sensitivity and your system, most here, including our dear Ben, have indeed given a pretty good review of most of these. I took it a step farther and PM'd a few of the ones here who seem to have very sensitive systems and seem to be pretty knowledgeable about vinyl. So, I will pass on what I've learned and also the few specific things that I personally have noticed (FWIW [​IMG] )

Okay, since you are more interested in the 'older' albums, there is where you will have to give some thought to what you want. The 'newer' pressings from what I've learned from others here, I THINK from about Presto onward, are all basically superiour to the originals or are at least very good. The general consensus from what I've read and asked about here is that for AFTK, if you don't have access to an really nice JAMF pressing, then the reissue is a good 2nd choice (for specific albums, you would REALLY be better served to do an actual, specific search of THIS thread with the album names - you only have a few you want, and it would honestly very much help you!)

For Moving Pictures, I personally snagged a mint Dutch RL copy and it sounds heavenly. I listened to a comparison, which I THINK is here on this thread somewhere and is definitely on YouTube (take that FWIW :)) between the new reissue and just a Columbia Club pressing, and I personally could tell, even with YouTube, that the Columbia was better. So, since I REALLY like that album, I would strongly advise that the RL pressings (whatever country I THINK) are most definitely the definitive ones, and mine really didn't cost much more than the reissue (maybe $5 to $10)

For Hemispheres you will need to do a search here for I've not fully determined that for myself as of yet. IIRC, like Ben said, I believe the reviews of that reissue are pretty strong.

That's about all I got... :) I hope it helps!

Tojo, Plan9 and superstar19 like this.
  9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Aw man, when something's flawed, I point it out. In recent years the Zappas you mentioned are the benchmarks for a reissue series, neck-and-neck with the Beatles mono vinyl. Rush comes in behind those. And Kiss (mind-blowing how right they got most of those). And the mono Kinks.

But I also know when something's acceptable in spite of flaws, and with flawed but acceptable reissues we start with Zep and Floyd at the top of the list. Then stuff like Dead Can Dance, Skinny Puppy, and the Bowie boxes.

I simply don't rave about stuff that doesn't deserve raves. Fair? :pineapple:

10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Some people are sentimental about original pressings and vinyl in general. Great post.

Ben Adams likes this.
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Agreed.

Tojo and Ben Adams like this.
  12. latheofheaven

Aw Ben... I was HOPING that you wouldn't be offended... [​IMG]

You KNOW I frigg'n love your posts man and have learned a LOT from them! [​IMG]

13. latheofheaven

Let me put it this way...

I'm not personally for either extreme. Some here are VERY vocal and absolute in stating that they only like original pressings. That is not always true... I just recently bought a very nice Analog Productions pressing of the Grateful Dead's Terrapin Station, an album that I really love. The original, which I have sounds amazing, but as the fellow here who sold it to me said, this pressing edges out the other with a bit more openness and detail, although it really DOES need to be heard to be believed.

Also, and I'm sorry, I truly do not mean to be argumentative, but there are those here that just say 'All' of a certain group of reissues are great! That is not always true either. But, there are degrees... Sometimes, the reissue might be very close, or their might be trade-offs with the original, or it is so good that there is no need to say 'Original Only'. It varies... IIRC from the thread here, although it's now been a while since I've read over it, I believe that ones here said that the new issue of Hemispheres was so good, most seemed to like it. I think you, Ben, commented on AFTK, if I'm not mistaken, that you were particularly impressed with it (perhaps it was someone else, I'm not sure... :))

So, to me anyway, there are no 'Absolutes' And, some here (who will remain nameless... [​IMG]) are almost always very argumentative, rude, and inflammatory ANY time vinyl or original pressings are mentioned. I personally find that most unpleasant and completely UNhelpful. But, that's their thing...

The guy above asked what the opinions were. I felt it was proper to TRY to give him at least what I have either observed myself or learned from others here regarding the specific albums that he asked about. So, I honestly tried to answer in a way that I felt would help him take into consideration his own system, how particular he is, and to give him the most informative and objective information that at least I had come up with so far. IF you preface a statement with 'if your system is not extremely exacting, or depending on how critical you are' THEN, with that understood, sure, with the RUSH reissues in general I'd say, yeah, for the most part you should be happy with all of them. But, I feel to be TRULY helpful and honest, that should be clarified.

Again, there are degrees and a LOT depends on the person's system and how particular they are. The exception, of course, would be if the reissues are truly inferior. The new Silver Label MFSL album of Sisters of Mercy 'Floodland' was so atrocious, I would warn EVERYONE away from that one!

You will likely remember this Ben, I was CONSTANTLY bothering and pestering everyone with incessant questions about these albums. I'm quite sure that I drove a LOT of people up the wall! [​IMG] And, like I said, I PM'd a number of the ones here who I feel have pretty sensitive systems and are fairly exacting, in order to inform me better as to what I should do. I just wanted to pass that along, that's all...

Tojo likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wouldn't have put dancing pineapple guy if I didn't like ya, man! :pineapple: I just wanted the record straight, because in some other threads, I've had my critical acumen poo-poo'ed by some of the more vocal "experts." (What do I know, anyway? I only managed record shops for nearly a decade and listened to tons of different pressings of different things....)

By the way, I used to have a Nautilus half-speed of Terrapin Station about 25 years ago. It's literally one of about 25 albums I wish I'd never gotten rid of. Sadface.

Billy_Sunday and latheofheaven like this.
  15. latheofheaven

Oh hey, that's right! I totally forgot that you managed record shops! [​IMG]

Sorry man, that COMPLETELY slipped my feeble mind... OOOOH... I would have really liked to hear that Nautilus Terrapin Station man, wow! BUT... see... this is one of the cases I was kind of talking about. Instead of being a total snob (only a teenie weenie one... [​IMG] ) No, seriously... The original and the Analog Productions pressing that I just got are SO bloody close, there's absolutely NO reason for anyone to get all worked up about how one is so much 'better' than the other...

Hey, I'm more 'nobody' than you Ben... It wasn't until I started reading at this site regularly a few months ago that I actually started pulling my head out of my @.. and finally started learning something! o_O

But, like I said in my long-winded last post, if someone asks about something fairly specific that I happen to either have a definite thought about, or have learned something that I feel is important and that might help them, I just don't quite feel right generalizing and telling them that either all of the reissues of someone are 'Great' or all of them are awful and to 'get the originals' Just seems that it is far more helpful to someone maybe to try to give them as much information and angles as possible. I know that is exactly what I would want...

Keep up the good work Ben! I'm still learning from you! [​IMG]

Tojo likes this.
  16. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

I do have every Rush LP in various original pressings but I was so happy with the recent 2112 vinyl reissue that I thought it might be a good idea to buy at least a few of the others as well.

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I have early pressings of nearly every Rush LP (up through Roll The Bones). Except for Show of Hands, which I don't really like much anyway, I ended up buying every reissue. I've kept all my early pressings as well, though I did find the new version of Presto to be so much better that I sold my US Atlantic pressing. On the other hand, I'm never going to sell my RL-cut EU pressing of Moving Pictures. It sounds perfect to me. But the new one is really, really good too.

Are the new ones better? I think it's a matter of taste. That's why I've held onto my early pressings. But for well-done, quiet pressings, you can't beat the new ones. If you don't want to go down the rabbit hole and start searching for early pressings, you can get these new versions and enjoy the music.

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Fly By Night was my first entry into their re-issues. DAMN does it sound great right from the needle drop on 'Anthem'. I wish all my new/ sealed purchases sounded this good. No IGD, no pops, just pure.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly - what more can you really ask from a reissue?

20. latheofheaven

Very nice post. FWIW, that sounds very balanced to me! :)

I think that I should have added (yeah, right, to my already LONG-winded post... [​IMG]) that even though I was trying to be thorough and helpful, I think that OVERALL by just about all of the comments here, you really can't go WRONG with these new reissues. From the posts here, none of them seemed to come across as really negative in any way. Just would depend, again, on a persons preference or particularness. But, yes, basically as Ben said in the beginning (*sigh... when WILL I learn to keep my 'mouth' shut... [​IMG]) overall, you pretty much can't really go wrong with these new reissues...

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Aw man, don't be hard on yourself. Your enthusiasm is great.

latheofheaven likes this.
  22. latheofheaven

Thanks Bro! Just trying my best to return the favour many of you here have shown me... :tiphat:

23. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Rush band has THE best fans...

24. Frost15

Frost15 Well-Known Member

I just gave a listen to three versions of Moving Pictures (Mercury CD Matrix #03, MFSL and 2015 Hi-Res) and as other forum dwellers posted this is a naturally good sounding album so it was a difficult choice, but I'm definitely going to say the Magee is the winner by a really small margin... There is something about the cymbals in the Hi-Res version that makes it more likable to these ears...

johnny q likes this.
  25. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

What about the watermarking? Not enough to ruin it for ya?