Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (Marvel Cinematic Universe)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Both were in theaters in LA and NY.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

I think Disney was hoping Shang-Chi could be a hit and money-maker in China, but now it is looking like China may not allow the movie to be released in China because of some negative comments Simu Liu made years ago in an interview. The Eternals is already facing trouble with getting released in China because of old, negative comments about China by director Chloe Zhao. This could spell trouble for future MCU movies that include Simu Liu, like an Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers: Endgame type of movie with an ensemble cast.

It will also be hard for Simu Liu to "take back" his comments (like John Cena did, when he publicly apologized for calling Taiwan a "country"), given they weren't just a "faux pas" of using the wrong term, but about why his family left China. And more so than John Cena, Simu could risk alienating Asian fans if he does so.

Shang-Chi was shot for the IMAX and does include more image at the top and bottom of the frame than what's shown on a regular screen (like they did for Black Panther), if not the full square image of IMAX scenes in Dark Knight or Dunkirk. I saw Shang-Chi in IMAX, and generally enjoy the taller aspect ratio with more image at the top and bottom on the very big IMAX screen. But I wouldn't say it was essential, and it was probably more noticeable in Black Panther (e.g., you could see more spectators on the cliff in the waterfall fight scene, with the taller image).

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If I can change one thing about the Academy Awards nomination process, it would be get rid of that bi-coastal snobbery and require a film to play in the top 25 markets or something like that. So that people who don't live in NY or LA would actually have a chance to see something.

Jazzmonkie and budwhite like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's actually a positive for small independent films that can't get national distribution. I believe the rule says it has to play in at least 2 theaters for a week (maybe it's 2 weeks), and they generally go for NY and LA. Full list of rules here:

https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/94aa_rules.pdf

I might be going to the Academy Museum when it opens in a few weeks in my neighborhood, and I'll mention your concerns to them and see what they say.

5. Chris DeVoe

A valid point, but then again the cost of distribution has declined so precipitously with digital. No need for thousands of prints being made and shipped.

I wish studios and theater chains would take better advantage of the flexibility that digital distribution can give them. They could change films more often than once a week. They could bring older films back more frequently. Instead they seem to be addicted to a model determined by shipping heavy film prints.

They'll probably tell me to go pound sand.

6. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Mulan doesn't even register online as having a domestic box office gross. Whatever release it had must have been minimal and token.

I'm still seeing quite a lot of "revival" movies showing in theaters. 5 older movies upcoming for ScreenX releases at Regal this month (Aquaman, WW84, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc.), plus Harry Potter 1 in 4DX. I see Outsiders extended cut is playing this month as well. Labyrinth 35th is showing this week. Citizen Kane is upcoming.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, the theaters sure do. On Thursday/Friday, they'll have four theaters showing the latest big blockbusters. But if the film is a dud, they replace it on Saturday or Sunday with different films, and now only two theaters will show the "bomb" blockbuster. You couldn't do that nearly as easily with a film print, but with digital, it's just re-assigning the server to different projectors within the multiplex. The studio has a way of using a digital key (the KDM) which checks and verifies how many times a digital file has been played, what time of day, and what theater in which it was shown, so they still get paid.

But they'll only show classic, older films if there's an audience for them, and that's iffy.

8. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I see.

So you found

...the resurrection of both the evil Dweller-in-Darkness, which sends false psychic messages to potential rescuers across dimensions, and the (good) flying underwater dragon The Great Protector after several millennia, for a rematch was handled in a credible, straightforward, no-nonsense manner which did not tax your suspension of disbelief.

Got it! :laugh:

9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Yes, exactly!

rikki nadir likes this.
  10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

By this coming Friday, Shang-Chi should be at approximately $150M in domestic box office gross. If the movie can make $18M to $20M in the upcoming weekend (therefore a domestic gross of about $170M), then it has a good chance of crossing over the $200M mark domestically. Even if Shang-Chi just grosses $190M (surpassing Black Widow, currently at $183M), it would still become the year's top grossing film (so far).

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think everyone expects the next Spider-Man to be the top-grossing 2021 film. The next Venom and Bond will have a chance to beat Shang-Chi also. But we'd pretty much have to see pre-pandemic levels of performance for that to happen. It's still not quite clear if Shang-Chi's gross represents pre-pandemic levels or is depressed. Its gross will end up around the first Ant-Man's. I guess West Side Story has an outside chance to hit $200 million also. I don't think WB's titles will have a shot, nor anything that gets a concurrent day-and-date digital release.

soundboy likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Apparently I’m too conservative with my estimate. After Wednesday, Shang-Chi stands at $152.5M and is likely to hit $155M after Thursday. If Shang-Chi grosses $18M this coming weekend, then it will surpass the domestic gross of “A Quiet Place II” and F9. Topping the domestic gross of Black Widow is almost guaranteed.

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Well....I guess I am waaaaaaaayyyyy too conservative with my estimate of "Shang-Chi" for its 3rd weekend box office gross. Apparently, the estimates are anyway between $20 - $22 million for its 3rd weekend. If realized, "Shang-Chi" would become the second highest grossing film of the year (so far), and overtake "Black Widow" by next Wednesday. $200 million total domestic box office is within reach.

Box Office: 'Shang-Chi' Set to Lead for Third Weekend - Variety

Oatsdad, noname74 and Deuce66 like this.
  14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I think that it would probably be the highest grossing film of the year if it wasn’t for politics getting it released in China. Apparently the star said something pro-Taiwan? Whatever. Can’t believe they’re still harping on that shtick. Most people in China can’t even remember that island being part of the country at this point.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It was over what Simu Liu said during an interview conducted back in 2017. In the interview, Liu talked about why his family emigrated to Canada and how his parents told him about the famines in China (presumably the Great Leap Forward) and how China is viewed by those who wanted to seek a better life elsewhere.

Then there's the online chatter about Simu Liu's resemblance to Chinese President Xi Jinping. It's why Winnie the Pooh got banned in China.

While the Chinese government has yet to officially announce that "Shang-Chi" is banned, some have already questioned Simu Liu's future in the MCU if his presence in a Marvel movie, whether a "Shang-Chi" sequel or any possible future Avengers movie, could mean the film not getting released in China.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm sure "SC" - like every other movie this year - had its gross depressed due to COVID.

We'll never know what it would've made without the virus, but I'm 100% "more" is the answer.

IMO, "West Side Story" isn't gonna sniff $100 million US, much less $200 million.

It looks like a fairly literal remake of a 60-year-old musical. Musicals aren't generally boffo box office anyway.

Yeah, it's a Spielberg movie, but that doesn't mean much at the box office these days.

I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but I'll be shocked if "WSS" becomes a genuine hit.

17. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I think West Side would have to become an Oscar contender, and stay in theaters through Oscar season for that to happen, but it's definitely possible. I think I heard that the deals the movie is under mean it will need to go a different streamer other than Disney+, which means Disney has an incentive to keep it in theaters as long as possible. Assuming the deal doesn't restrict that.

I would say it being a musical is actually in its favor. The Disney remake musicals have been absolutely huge. And West Side Story is almost the same thing, in that the original is sort of a family classic. La La Land was also a huge musical with $150 million at the box office and Oscar wins. More recently, Greatest Showman and the Mary Poppins sequel got over $170 million. So it's still somewhat feasible that Spielberg's name and the promotional effort that his clout should bring, as well as potential Oscars, could push it past $200 million. The budget is $100 million, so it would be considered a real failure if it earned less than $100 million domestic, and they're surely hoping for at least $150 million domestic. The closest Spielberg has gotten to $200 million domestic since Indiana Jones is Lincoln with $182 million 9 years ago.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought I read that most major studio movies come with minimum screening clauses, etc.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not really accurate.

Lot of movies and TV series, if that's the focus here, getting their inspiration from comics not only from the 60's / 70's, but into the 00's as well. That they are lifting ideas from comics this heavily is what I find overall much more interesting.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There will always be naysayers.

I finally saw the movie yesterday....it was generally good. Visuals were stunning, best seen on the big screen and where this movie generally shines. But it had a lot of plot holes, even for a super-hero film....basically leave your brain at the door and enjoy the spectacle and it does what it set out to do.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Not only that, the songs in West Side Story, unlike La La Land and Mary Poppins Returns, are actually good.

JediJones likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

What ones specifically? I've seen it twice, and no giant plot holes jumped out at me, but then I watch films emotionally rather than analytically.

Simon A likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

I mean more about revivals.

For instance today and Tuesday, there's an 80th anniversary screening of Citizen Kane.

The problem, is that it's a Fathom Events showing, and their system is limited to 1080p by the satellite distribution system they use. Maybe it's just this local theater, but the theater is right by AMC's headquarters, and they tend to add all of the latest innovations to this particular location.

I would love to see Citizen Kane again, but only if it fully takes advantage of the 4K projector in this particular theater.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Couple of things jumped out at me

- The Ten Rings were around for many hundreds of years at least...and Wenwu as well and it was just in the present day that he was tempted? Of course his relationship with his wife was recent but it was still ten years later and plenty of time for him to be played.
    - Where did the postcard come from? Dad? If so...why was that even necessary, he could have taken them separately and that would be preferable. Seems like the postcard was just an excuse for us, the viewer, to be introduced to her sister in the way it was written.
    - Shang-Chi's lost years. Somehow he survived with a new identity, in the US, all on his own. Needed so that Katy could be the vessel for exposition, as her questions become our questions. But that's driving the plot versus making logical sense.
    - Shang-Chi's lost years, part two. The bus scene was amazing but you don't go into hiding for a decade, doing nothing but push-ups (presumably) and on a whim becomes a super-bad ass fighter again. He had no super-powers or the rings, at the time. He's just a human being.
    - We initially thought he left his sister because he could not go through with his first kill. So he ran since he couldn't deal with his father. Well, first off he didn't seem to have a problem killing people later ie. in Macau. Granted it was self-defense but dead is still dead. But worse was that, near the end of the film there was the "he did go through with it" twist. So....he really had no reason at at to leave his sister there, basically it makes no sense anymore...twist for the sake of having a twist then, contradicting previous actions.
    - His mother knew they'd be coming to her home eventually, to the point that costumes were ready for them? How would she know that, could she see into the future? If so, you'd think she'd have ran off with the kids herself, to escape her husband who would go back to the dark side eventually.
    - Doctor Strange never sensed any of this, previously? Or the Ancient One, for that matter (in the past)? Seems like they really aren't doing their jobs then.
    - Xialing learned to be a bad ass fighter by....watching the training, all those years? That's Oldboy-level of stretching things a bit thin.
    - Katy's amazing arching skills nearly overnight + she's suddenly important to Wong, at the end? How did that happen? Seems like Shang-Chi's just needs her around as someone to talk to / comedic relief / future love interest perhaps?

Still a fun movie but why it's just popcorn / leave your brain at the door entertainment.

MrJerry1876 and JediJones like this.
  25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

another film i want to watch in the cinemas but can't due to lock down here !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.