Sympathy For The Devil Studio vs Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockNRod, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

just noticed something odd
    about the Tokyo version....
    the whole band ended the song perfectly all at once really cleanly.

weird
    LOL

56strat and JuanTCB like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think that's kinda the point, though. It makes their live recordings interesting, rather than just note-for-note copies with some extra reverb and audience noise. I do wish Mick had learned to sing live before 1989, but that's another topic.

Buddybud likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Holy hell I never noticed that before. It never really dawned on me that it was missing on all those other tours. I don't know how I missed that for 30 years.

linklinc likes this.
  4. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

“Paint It Black. Paint It Black. Paint It Black, you devils!”

Here’s another vote for the Ya-Ya’s version. That 2nd solo, which I’ve always assumed is Mick Taylor, is incredible. It is perhaps the greatest rock solo on any instrument ever recorded. It sounds several times like it’s faltering, but no, turn it up loud and listen. There isn’t a missed or bum note in it. It’s perfection. And Mick howling and shouting in there. It is rock’n’roll perfection.

5. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident Thread Starter

While the Rock and Roll Circus version starts off more faithful, the Ya-Ya's version definately dominates in the long run and the guitar solo's rule the day.

polchik and Bill Why Man like this.
  6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

is this thread a joke.NOT ONE live version comes close to the studio.Stones AINT Zeppelin

Chrsal likes this.
  7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out ...that’s my favorite and my favorite live album.
    (((The 69 Stones Rule))) :righton:

RogerB and Bill Why Man like this.
  8. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I'm in the camp that believes the studio version is one of the greatest rock 'n' roll songs ever. The things that combine to make it great - the percussion, the unrelenting "whoo whoos," the concise guitar solo, Mick's controlled vocal - those elements really aren't duplicated in the live versions, not all in the same version anyway.

9. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I probably associate this song with the studio version and the Ya-Ya's version. But outside of that I like the one from L.A. 7/13/75 from the Google downloads. Played as an encore with Jesse Ed Davis on third guitar, it is a pretty raunchy take. The one from 7/9/75 was used on Love You Live but edited down from its nine minute length.

10. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Ya Yas, LA Friday, and Tokyo (both versions) 1990 do it for me all the time.

I also love the San Diego version from 1998 too.

11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Altamont wasn't the last gig in 69; the were back at it in London a week later with a show at the Saville and then the Lyceum a week after that.

12. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I like apples. I like oranges. Both are groovy! Get it?

13. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

question .... ive ALWAYS thought that it was keith soloing on this track ..... its much more ragged and less refined ...its great, dont get me wrong ..... but all the folks commenting on this youtube upload think its taylor ..... listen to the playing (right speaker) after the solo ..... that is mick taylor .... imho. thats the giveaway ....

rhythm, n solo (keith imo) left speaker

whatcha all think?

its fantastic duo rhythm btw

and yeah when i want to hear 'sympathy ..." i crank this.

edit .... oh wait a sec .... i think folks in the utube vid identified taylor correctly ... as they mentioned the later 5:xx timestamp lmao ......i totally forgot they both solo'd ... oh well ..... another excuse to listen to this classic moment !

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    DK Pete likes this.
  14. Ya ya's (In Particular) and Love You Live. LA Forum on the video was good too.

15. Keith goes first then Taylor. Simple as that.

DK Pete likes this.
  16. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

yeah i ultimately realized that. thanks lol

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  17. KUJayhawk

KUJayhawk Forum Resident

The Ya Yas version is an all-time top ten desert island song for me. And I am not a huge Stones fan, but the whole thing is so freaking TIGHT!!

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Yep. Lotsa folks are saying the version they heard first is probably coloring their preferences. I heard the studio version first and when I heard the 'Ya-Ya's version not long thereafter, I was pretty disappointed. Not saying it's bad, but it's just that there is so much going on in the studio version that can't really be reproduced live without a lot more than just guitars and drums -- you absolutely need that rocking Hopkins piano, the choir, the percussion -- it all jelled to near perfection in that session.

19. No prob

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Much as I love the Richards/Taylor solos on the live versions, id have loved to hear Keith reproduce his original studio solo live, just **once**.

21. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Everyone seems to love this version best, but no one has posted it.

22. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

no version other than the studio original has for me, ever properly captured the "whoo hoo's"

DK Pete likes this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Wrong song, it's "woo-woo" not "whoo hoo":

24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

see post #38

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.