Tanita Tikaram — thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 3, 2017.

1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I'm no sure she is a Native American. This is what Wikipedia says of her background:

Blair G. and Jarleboy like this.
  2. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I first heard of her when she guested on this Mark Isham track:

WhatDoIKnow, Jarleboy and Alan2 like this.
  3. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Everybody's Angel is pure genius. Head and shoulders above everything else. Yeah, it's that great.

Kinda lukewarm on her other stuff. I do like Twist In My Sobriety.

WhatDoIKnow and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the UK her biggest hit was “Good Tradition”, which reached #10. “Twist in My Sobriety” reached #22.

But as I said above, chart positions aren’t really the point.

bob60, Jarleboy and LivingForever like this.
  5. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I loved Twist In My Sobriety back in the day. I really like her and have her first couple of albums but I usually play a German compilation I have over them.

Jarleboy and Alan2 like this.
  6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

What’s the name of that German compilation?

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I really loved the debut.

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I like Once And Not Speak as well as Twist In My Sobriety.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

TT's not a Native American, I always thought she was British/Asian, here's a Wiki.
    Tanita Tikaram - Wikipedia

FramboGND and Jarleboy like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

And one cannot be a Native American if one is not at least born in America. Just as one cannot be African American unless one is at least born in America. If two Cherokee leave the US and become British citizens and then have a child, that child is NOT a Native American.

Oh and just a side note: Your sister-in-law's husband is NOT your brother-in-law, but he IS your wife's brother-in-law (assuming your sister-in-law is your wife's sister).

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

DmitriKaramazov and Jarleboy like this.
  12. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Totally random aside:
    I remember years ago, French and Saunders (British comedy duo) did a parody of a Q&A television programme (Star Test), wherein Dawn French played Tanita Tikaram and answered questions posed by a computer. One of them was to pick five words to describe herself. She chose "sensitive... sensitive.... er... sensitive...". The closing question was, "What does Twist In My Sobriety mean?", for which "Tanita" had no answer.

Wasn't Cathedral Song a modest hit in the UK too? ... [checks Guinness Book of British Hit Singles] ... Yes, it was.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  13. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I saw TT on her first British tour, in the autumn of 1988. I thought she was OK but the crowd was basically there to hear her one hit ('Good Tradition'). She did a very powerful version of Leonard Cohen's Aint No Cure For Love.

I'm only really familiar with the first album. The second album was a British chart-topper but her popularity declined fairly quickly after that. For all I know, her songwriting may have matured.

WhatDoIKnow, Alan2 and Jarleboy like this.
  15. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Back in the era, I really liked The Sweet Keeper and Everybody's Angel. Both struck me as really strong, but for whatever reason, I fell of the train when Seattle (e.g., Mudhoney, Nirvana, etc.) came along. Will have to fire up Spotify tomorrow and get caught up. Thanks, SHMFers!

16. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Sounds like a hot sauce you put on Indian food.

17. John54

John54 Senior Member

Her only song I could name is Only the Ones We Love, which is very nice:

I guess I should give a couple of the hits a listen?

agn and Atmospheric like this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

Twist in My Sobriety just wrapping up. It's one of those songs that doesn't start out very well but ends up delivering some interesting goods. That oboe part does the trick, adding some exoticism that makes it a moody '80s style (even if right at the end of the decade) synth-pop number of the sort that is up my alley. I like it!

Carlox, Alan2 and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Her third record, "Everybody's Angel" has been a favorite of mine for at least 10 years. I've recently had the opportunity to give a proper listen to her first two records, "Ancient Heart" and "The Sweet Keeper," as well as her fourth record "Eleven Kinds Of Loneliness."

While I still think that "Everybody's Angel" is a very very special record, I found myself also liking "Ancient Heart" and "The Sweet Keeper," though not quite as much as EA. The musicianship is stellar on all three records, and more importantly the music moves me. I'm very happy to have discovered those first two records. In particular, "Ancient Heart" has some really strong songs on it that aren't "Twist In My Sobriety."

I found the fourth record, "Eleven Kinds Of Loneliness" too self-indulgent for my tastes. I also did not care for her latest release. It's interesting that EKOL is the point at which she decided to self-produce her records. She's certainly earned the right to do that. But I think she's better served working with a producer who can reign in her excesses.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I first heard the her at a Hi-Fi show and bought the first three albums as they came out. I like her voice and the musicians are all good. She still gets played.

21. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Same here, I have them on vinyl. I have never seen her later stuff on vinyl. I really like those first two albums.

JG

Alan2 likes this.
  22. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident

Ancient Heart remains a favorite. It was fairly popular back in the day. Don't know any others.

Alan2 likes this.
  23. Alistair

Alistair Forum Resident

I have her first album, I don’t play it often. I also have an album by “Moodswings” where she does guest vocals on a version of Redemption Song. It’s a great version, her voice is sublime.

24. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

"Twist in My Sobriety" was all over VH-1 at the time. That's all I can tell ya, 'cause it's all I ever saw/heard.

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I love Liza Minnelli's version of "Twist In My Sobriety" on her Pet Shop Boys produced album.