The Eagles MOFI One Step

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatleboy1968, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Regardless of whether that's correct or not, even a dead clock is right twice a day.

2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

....?????????....

I can attest to the fact that the first pressing sounds fabulous, and later pressings do not. Tom pointed this out , and in this case he was quite correct.

Dr. Funk, supermd and AppleCorp3 like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Perhaps. My point is he's seldom correct and this would be the exception. Nevertheless, that'll be my last post on ol' TP, lest this thread devolves into another tangent. I'm much more interested in reading about the SQ of these releases anyway. :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

What about digital versions? Any chance that the 2013 remaster is from a better source?

5. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

You make it sound like if something isn't from the master tape it automatically sounds like crap? Is this really what you mean?

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

In this specific case, I was told what I stated. And based on my listening tests, I could clearly hear a major difference etween the original white label pressings and the sky blue label pressings. And yes, it definitely sounded like the latter used later generation source material. And in general, yes, something sourced from the master "generally " sounds st better than something sourced from a second or third generation tape. Isn't that the whole point of companies like MFSL seeking out the original master?

7. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not sure. Never heard it. Could be

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I hear you. Not the thread for it. But I must say that although he charges insane prices, he offers a full refund. And the fact that he's still in business tells me he must be satisfying most of his clientele. If he were "seldom correct'" I can't imagine he would still be in business. He's not personable, and truth be told I don't deal with him because of his rudeness, but he is correct in his stance that many records of the same title sound different based on many factors.

9. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

it's not that big of a difference between a good copy of the master and the master. what matters more is the mastering itself.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Those where highly advertised as “from the original master tapes”.

11. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Sometimes. Sometimes not. I'm thinking of the Doors self titled album. Doug Sax, one of the greatest mastering engineers from our generation, remastered it at 45 rpm for AP. They admitted they used a good copy of the master tape, which was no longer usable. The results are easily heard when comparing it to an original gold label first pressing. The clarity of Jim's voice on the original says it all. No contest. Great mastering, great equipment chain, but no original master. But you are also correct in that poor mastering can ruin a final product, even if the master is used. I guess, if possible, I like to have both. So far, the MFSL One Step releases has given that to the buyers.

musictoad, Cassius and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

those were two different masterings

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, and the latter one was mastered by one of the best, yet it was/ is sonically lacking. Why is that? Are you going to claim "poor mastering" by Doug Sax? I think not.

musictoad, Cassius and marcb like this.
  14. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Maybe because you preferred the other mastering? I am not going to go round in circles. Obviously we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. Take care.

supermd likes this.
  15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I'm just trying to help you understand why people like our host, for example, will always, if possible, seek out the original master tape for the best possible sound during a reissue project. There's a reason for that. It's not just my opinion. It's a fact.

musictoad and Cassius like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

It's not a secret that the master tape will always yield the best *source* from which to work. After that, the gear that is being used to master and the skills of the hired mastering engineer will make the best-sounding result possible with that material.

It can be a never-ending debate as to which one of these 3 things will have the biggest impact backed with examples for each but the bottom line is that it rarely will translate into a breathtaking end result unless all 3 of these aforementioned attributes are top-notch.

James Shines likes this.
  17. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

I follow your point and agree about the importance of the original master. But in this example of the Doors S/T, you can't ignore the age & condition of the tape, those are two masterings likely both by Doug Sax yet done something like 45-50 years apart.

18. it's just me

it's just me Active Member

Is this an Eagles topic ? Or did we switch ?

Geee!, FashionBoy, AnalogJ and 2 others like this.
  19. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Any more reviews out there?

YCC likes this.
  20. YCC

YCC Well-Known Member

Yes, please share your thoughts! I'm still waiting for notification of shipment of my order.

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. it's just me

it's just me Active Member

I received my Desperado . # 196

AnalogJ, YCC, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  22. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Please share your thoughts on it…looking forward to more perspectives.

YCC and Swordsandchains like this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I, as well as others, would like to hear your thoughts on this as soon as you can.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

We would like to have your thoughts on this.

25. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

It will be interesting to know what the first side of Desperado One Step is like especially….inferior somehow? Defective?
    I’m hoping not….