The Starlost vs Destination Moonbase Alpha for worst hokiest TV Si-Fi

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

These two time/mindwaster TV series have got to be near the bottom of the barrel. When I asked the star of one of these about the series he was in he didn't even want to talk about it. I actually sat and watched these. :confused:

Anybody remember/watch either of these cardbordian delights :

"Starlost, The" (1973) (wow was it ever)

And for a step up ?? the nevolutionary chain we have:

Destination Moonbase Alpha (1976) (TV)

2. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

If this is what we call Space 1999 on this side of the water then any derogatory comments from the colonies would be seen as revolutionary ;) :D :laugh:. Space 1999 was/is a national treasure :)

&ru

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I knew a guy who was one of the children on Starlost. His name was "Mitchell".

Great show!

"May I be of.... assistance?"

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I watched "Starlost" during its short run. I remember that exterior shots of the ship were exactly the same as the ship from Silent Running (starring Bruce Dern). Recycle that stock footage!

5. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Re: Re: The Starlost vs Destination Moonbase Alpha for worst hokiest TV Si-Fi

Relating to the above highlighted statement Sire :

My sincerest and deepest condolences!!! :D :D :D

6. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

If I recall right (1975 is 28 years ago!) The Starlost was created with good intentions, by Harlan Ellison and some other guy...after it went into production, some producer started hoking it up so bad Ellison took his name off it.
    The original screenplay for the pilot (was very good!) was published in paperback once.

7. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

oop, couldnt delete it.

8. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

No question about it: The Starlost

As Bill Walton would say, "horrrrrrible!!"

9. RDK

RDK Active Member

As Bob noted, Starlost was created by Harlan Ellison (one of my favorite writers), but was severely screwed up by the time it actually aired. I haven't seen this show in many years, but I do recall it not being very good.

I'm much fonder of Space: 1999, which i used to watch regularly. If you can put aside the ridiculous premise (of the Earth's moon torn from its orbit and now hurtling through space!) it was really a pretty decent sci-fi show. Martin Landau gave it some credibility with his acting talents; indeed, most of the cast was good. When this first aired in the mid-70s, I was so eager for good sci-fi on TV that I ate it up.

Ray

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Did Blake's 7 ever make it to the other side of the puddle ?

All the best - Andrew

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Yes, I seem to recall one of the PBS stations in New Jersey running it in the early 1990s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.