Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'll be damned if I can figure out what's "sexist and woke" about "GB16", much less insufferably so... :shrug:

davenav and mmars982 like this.
  2. Oatsdad

More power to ya, but I think "Grown Ups" is one of the laziest movies I've ever seen. Just feels like Sandler and buddies made it up as they went along and shot it over a long weekend.

No redeeming value I can find.

Grown Ups [Blu-Ray] (2010)

And the sequel is just as lazy/awful! :sigh:

3. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Bad Grandpa is absolutely unwatchable.

Lightworker likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Cheers was funny sporadically...but Rhea Pearlman always got the best lines.

[​IMG]

Brickie likes this.
  5. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Goodness! I could go on..

None the less…This actually a poorly disguised political discussion about language, yes?

Which I’d be happy to have but…not here.

cheers!

6. Boy will I be relieved when the term "woke" is retired.

davenav, Hammerhead, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  7. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I haven't seen the remake, but I don't think originals are that funny either. I always viewed Ghostbusters as more of a fantasy movie. Maybe except for the ESP test scene, which was funny imho

8. Lightworker

I've retired it from my own vocabulary, and substitute the word "ahistorical" now instead. It better describes that perspective.

9. Lightworker

I usually can't stand Johnny Knoxville, but he made me laugh out loud a couple of times in this.

10. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

The preview I saw for Bad Grandpa made it look like it would be hysterically funny. It showed the Grandpa having the boy in a wig poll dancing on stage at a girls' beauty pagent and Grandpa throwing dollar bills on the stage to help sell the act. I thought it would be non-stop hilarity like that. Instead it was slow, filled with awkward moments like a funeral scene that wasn't funny. Lots of anger and emotion and serious family issues. Grandpa getting his thing stuck in a vending machine in a long drawn out scene. The dancing scene from the preview was just tacked on at the end of the film and that was the only funny thing the boy did as I recall.
    The Jackass films were pretty funny. Like when he returned a rental car after wrecking it in a demolition derby and acted like it wasn't that bad and it wasn't his fault and if anything they were liable for all damages. Now that's good stuff!

Lightworker likes this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Arent sexist and woke at opposite ends of the spectrum??

12. Oatsdad

I guess the notion is that something "woke" can be anti-male and that makes it "sexist"! :shrug:

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

2021 is so confusing

Moonbeam Skies and Oatsdad like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Hey, I'm not the one who called the movie sexist and woke! :laugh:

yesstiles likes this.
  15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Senses of humor are very personal, Cheers is genius and very very funny

Jazzmonkie and mmars982 like this.
  16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Step Brothers

Not a single laugh, although I did turn it off halfway through.

17. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Seconded. But Steve Carell is terrific in 'The Big Short.'

The Panda likes this.
  18. What tickles our funny bones sure runs the gamut. Much of what has been listed here are favorites of mine that still crack me up.

19. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Ha...I'm gonna rag on Chevy Chase ...in particular for the movie "Funny Farm"...this was not a funny farm,CC was/is more miss than hit in the comedy department ...even way back in his SNL days the laughs were far and few between...Caddyshack anyone?...Ted Knight and Rodney saved it from a total disaster.The first Vacation movie has some comedic value along with maybe Foul Play or Seems Like Old Times..:shrug:

Another award winning pile of rotten tomatoes would have to be Dan Aykroyd directed "Nothing But Trouble" ...wow!
    what a steaming pile of..:unhunh::agree: even with John Candy onboard it couldn't be saved.

20. Sandler's stuff is pretty stupid! I actually thought Grownups 1 & 2, were more tolerable than Sandler's average fare.

21. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I actually like Adam Sandler. Always have. Sure he's done duds before like Chuck and Larry, anger management, that's my boy, and Jack and Jill, but he's also done stupendous films like punch-drunk love, reign over me and spanglish. Plus he's very very good in movies like hotel Transylvania, pixels, click, 50 first dates, happy Gilmore, little Nicky, Mr. Deeds, eight crazy nights, the waterboy, big daddy, etc. Basically for every bad one he does there's at least 2 or 3 that are pretty darn good. And in regards to his masterful performances in punch-drunk love and reign over me I still personally believe he should have won Oscars for them.

Hammerhead and MrGrumpy like this.
  22. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Slapstick of Another Kind (obscure Kurt Vonnegut adaptation starring Jerry Lewis) is truly terrible. I tried watching it on Youtube just to see how bad it is, and I could only take so much.

The title, some of the casting choices and the poster try to make it look like a Mel Brooks parody of Close Encounters of the Third Kind but it isn't like that at all.

Slapstick of Another Kind (1982) - IMDb

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

SNL currently.

unclefred and RSteven like this.
  24. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I'll invoke Sturgeon's Law and say that I feel that "90% of all" comedies are not funny [for me]. And even that seems generous to me.

25. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

What's really disappointing is that Vonnegut's novel is sublime. However, I also think that it's basically un-filmable. In the book, the science-fiction trappings are metaphors for the needs that all humans have to form bonds with other people and alleviate loneliness (hence the idea of two people who are super-intelligent when near each other).

Other than the very basic plot, the movie doesn't resemble the novel at all, but the book is also Vonnegut at his most fanciful and doesn't lend itself to an adaptation easily (if it can even be done).

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    davenav and mbd40 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.