USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

How are people's experiences with tracking scans and text notifications these days?

I ordered a package earlier this week and although there has already been three posted scans, I didn't get notified for each one until 4-18 hours later.

2. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

For me, random packages are still mysteriously sitting in warehouses for days before miraculously showing up with little warning, but overall it's not nearly as bad as it was a few months ago. Unfortunately some of those delayed packages have been prescription medication orders, which through our insurance plan can only be filled through the mail.

PhantomStranger and George P like this.
  3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Okay, it was all fun and games when packages would be delayed, and outside of getting stuff a few weeks later than usual, there weren't any real fallout...

Well, now I've had few bills get lost in the mail, and arrive late, causing late-payments to kick in!
    I'm talking about utility payments that usually take only 2 to 3 days to arrive now taking up to 3 or 4 WEEKS to arrive, making them get there after the deadline, making them charge me a late fee. I have been able to call and get them to wave the fee, after telling them how the post-mark was way before the deadline, but still, I'm not the only one and this is now costing money! They better get this DeJoy clown out of there ASAP!

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  4. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

You can not count on the USPS to deliver your bills in a timely manner - you need to pay electronically.

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  5. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I've had a few paychecks arrive weeks late when they used to take 2–3 days. Direct deposit isn't always an option in every situation.

Someone should put Louis DeJoy in a box and mail him somewhere really far away.

Alan G and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  6. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Just an FYI. I don't follow politics but I know the Biden administration is looking at the postal board of governors. They control who is postmaster.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bull Moose did their usual best using First Class to send my Blu ray of Defending Your Life, and when my local PO sent out the "Out For Delivery" alert early this morning, I was happy.
    Several hours later, while walking the dog, I checked the mailbox.
    One piece of junk mail, no Blu ray.
    Early evening, my OFD alert had been updated to inform me that it was now being held at the post office by customer request ?
    Of course I made no such request.
    Asshat likely missed it, and found it in the jeep when he returned to the PO.
    Now either I, or my son has to go stand in a long line in order to get what should've been delivered.

8. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I believe that's technically the only way to change course, as DeJoy isn't technically a political appointee, despite his close connections to the previous president.

And it isn't really political at all; I don't think anyone other than execs and shareholders of competing package delivery companies want a severe reduction in service at the USPS. We all get mail.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  9. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

This is barely tracking-related but I thought you'd enjoy this ridiculous email I received from eBay's "customer support."

Recapping from upthread: My buyer, after two weeks waiting, opened a case and eBay refunded him (even though I had provided tracking info and pointed out the well-known USPS delays at that time) on 12/30/20 ; his item was delivered on 2/4/21. I sent him an email that day requesting payment and haven't heard back; so I told eBay it should refund me (the delivery was past eBay's 30-day appeal window but hey, the USPS delay was out of my control).

(Emphasis and emojis mine)

"My name is Charmaine from eBay Customer Support and I received your appeal...I understand your concern about your funds most especially that the item is already delivered. I am glad to help you get the payment from the buyer. o_O

We’d like to thank you for exerting an effort in resolving this issue with your buyer and ensuring their satisfaction with this purchase by shipping the item.

We've decided to uphold our original decision :mad: and you may continue communicating with the buyer to request for the payment directly through PayPal. Here are the steps on how to send PayPal invoiced to your buyer. :rolleyes:

1. Sign in into your PayPal account.
    2. Click on the Send and Request.
    3. Click on Create Invoice.
    4. Go to Create Invoice.
    5. Fill up all the basic details
    6. You can send the invoice directly from PayPal or you can save the link and send it to your clients.
    7. You can also save this template if you use it in a recurring manner.

To help you in your future transactions, here is a link which will give you information on how to handle varying shipping problems:
    Shipping & Tracking | eBay

I greatly appreciate your loyalty with eBay as you have been a member showing an impressive positive feedback score. Keep up the good work :rolleyes: as I assure you that eBay will always be here to help and make your buying and selling a great experience. :realmad:

Kind regards,

Charmaine C.

eBay Customer Support"

giantleech likes this.
  10. The movement (and tracking) of "Media Mail" is erratic.

When I get back into selling (via eBay, or whatever source of commerce), I'm going to go for "First-Class Mail" from now on.

George P likes this.
  11. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Didn't feel like making a new thread, but what does ""Your package was left in the mail room"
    on an Amazon delivery usually mean? I live in a house, but that is the Amazon tracking's claim for a delivery today and I did not receive it. There's also no notice anywhere.

12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I bought an expensive item from the US to be shipped to Japan. It was scanned and I received notices from the time the seller left it at his local post office on June 1st until the time it arrived at an international airport on June 7th and that's the last notice I got, that it was "on its way to destination." In the twenty-plus years I have been here what happens next is one-to-two days later the mail arrives at Narita International Airport (where I get a scan notice), it goes to customs in Kanagawa (scan notice again), then out for delivery (scan notice again). I expected my package on or around June 10th, based on typical experience these past decades.

Not anymore. It's gone. I input the tracking number in the Japan Post website and I see the package never left the United States. I input the tracking number in the USPS website and there, too, it stops dead in Miami but I get the language "on its way to destination" which I now take to mean on its way to a thief's home or pawn dealer, a landfill after being destroyed, or the nebulous warehouse netherworld of slid-off-to-the-side-where-it-is-forgotten obscurity.

Both the seller and I initiated traces. No word back. There's a message on the USPS site that says it notified Japan Post and that it generally takes 35 days for the Japan side to investigate, but to me that's a pointless red herring. It never left Miami. Japan Post is incredibly competent, efficient, courteous...they deliver mail on Saturdays for krissakes and get this -- I've even had them ride out to the house on their iconic little red Honda 90's to deliver to me a piece of international mail on a Sunday, thinking it's important and maybe I need it right away. I am 99.99% certain the fault lies with the US, not Japan and would lay heavy odds on it.

As far as I'm concerned, I believe the US system has now reached 3rd-world status. Good luck in the decline. We're all gonna need it.

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Package from UK to US via Royal Mail: 3 days.

But now it's been in USPS limbo at a large customs facility for weeks, and the latest update is that the item hasn't been scanned. Turns out packages sit in that facility for months on end with no movement, and sometimes no delivery. The Inspector General of the USPS even investigated in May.... but nothing has changed.

Yep, institutions like our mail system that once functioned are failing us now.

bmh5879 likes this.
  14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

"Competing package delivery companies" are NOT invested in USPS failing, despite that narrative being repeated by those that don't understand logistics. UPS and FedEx have no interest in visiting every single address in the US the way USPS has to. FedEx uses USPS for last-mile deliveries through the SmartPost program. UPS does similarly through SurePost.

15. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Been experiencing delays in Jersey City again. Something must have gotten lost there, it’s been there for 2 weeks now and no sign of movement.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that they probably gave you the wrong tracking number.

17. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

And our new Postmaster General has all but stated that this is fully his intention.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

So if you have a better understanding of logistics then the rest of us, then please, do tell: what is DeJoy's motivation in gutting the Postal Service's reliability? It's not like the decline in service is simply a coincidence.

19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

for one, he's a businessman who has no business in running an operation like the USPS which is not actually a... business.

jason202 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  20. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

I was visiting friends in Baltimore last week and took the opportunity to visit some great stores (Trax on Wax, Sound Garden, and Vinyl Archive, but couldn't fit in Joe's Record Paradise) and found some nice stuff. Boxed up about 20 records and mailed them home from the Catonsville PO near Trax on Friday 6/25. Delivery info said delivery to Boston by Wed 6/30. Surprised at that, but ok.

Tracking as of today 7/2 simply shows USPS in possession on 6/25, in transit, and now, arriving late. I know it's only a week out and sometimes LPs have taken 3-4 weeks. Thankfully i insured the box, but i stupidly left the receipts in the bags when i packed everything up. I'll have the credit card charges from the stores which hopefully will suffice if this thing never shows up. But that will really be a bummer. I've had plenty of odd shipping stories over the last year and not just USPS. But this one is definitely irritating.

21. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

honestly over the last few months I have been getting stuff without issues.
    But now I am getting the old message: USPS awaiting package label created. Item says shipped but no activity for five days.

22. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Been experiencing a lot of delays lately. When I drop off media mail at the post office they usually always now tell me "up to 10 days" no matter where I am shipping it too.

Oddly enough though, I'll have the random package show up in 2 or 3 days. Then others take 10+ days. I know one thing is for sure, I am going on a media mail buying freeze before December this year. Last year was ridiculous and am expecting more of the same this year.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I just had an item go from the UK straight to my town in the US Midwest... then all the way out to California for a week, and finally, back to my town. Crazy.

24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

He's not gutting it; he's trying to make it run more like a business. And don't you think COVID may have been a factor?

25. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse as of late. I have several "In Transit, Arriving Late" records on the way that have been bouncing around locally between USPS Facilities, USPS Regional Facilities and USPS Regional Destination Facilities. If Louis DeJoy ran a normal business in this manner, he'd be out on his fat white ass in no time at all.

moomoomoomoo and bmh5879 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.