What happened to drummer Eddie Hoh?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jdmack, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Eddie Hoh's drumming with The Monkees. However, if I Google his name, his album credits seem to end in the early 1970s. Is he still playing, did he retire, or is he no longer with us?

J. D.

2. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Here's a post from the fab Spectropop site about Eddie Hoh:
    Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 03:02:57 -0500
    Subject: Re: Hoh, Hoh, Hoh & Hoh boy
    I just joined this group after a friendly soul emailed me about the Eddie Hoh string. I knew Eddie and he was a well known road & studio drummer in the 60's. When I first met him he was with the MFQ, later he was with the Mamas & Papas, Gene Clark Group, worked with Tim Buckley, Harvey Mandel, Charlie Musselwhite, Donovan (Sunshine Superman lp), was on the Bloomfield-Kooper-Stills Super Session, on the first Flying Burrito Brothers album and many Monkees sessions. Sometime in 1969 or 1970 he went to northern California with Dino Valente to work on a new group and had kind of
    breakdown there and never could get himself back together. He went home to live with his family in Illinois. He was a super guy, well respected and loved by everybody he knew.
    There is also a photo of Eddie on the Super Sessions LP. I haven't heard the recently released CD of Dino Valente's that was recorded in 1969- 70 but it wouldn't surprise me if he was on some of those tracks. Eddie was always working and in demand in those days, both in the studio and on the road.
    Cheryl Jennings

3. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

When one magazine("Rolling Stone",I believe) praised Eddie's performance on the album of The Mamas & The Papas live at The Monterey Pop Festival,the magazine received(and printed) a response from a drug rehabilitation center where Eddie was(then) being treated for drug addiction.

4. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

And what was the story about the other drummer, Kim Capli then?

5. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

Kim Capli was in a group called the Sundowners. They toured with the Monkees in '67. Kim actually performed most of the basic track himself on The Monkees' "Hard To Believe", which he co-wrote with Davy and other members of The Sundowners.

Interesting about Eddie Hoh. I've always wondered where he disappeared to. So is he still alive and well here in Illinois?

6. 905

905 Senior Member

I hope so... when I first saw the booklet from the Listen to the Band boxed set, I read all of the session listings. I had to see when the Monkees played, or Glen Campbell, etc... I remember seeing Eddie's name and thinking what a great drummer, and I was interested in what else he did. Before the internet was everywhere, I could only wonder.

7. TheNomadicSoul

Wouldn't it be funny if he lived right down the street from either of us, Matt?

I remember seeing his name on the back of The Monkees "Pisces..." LP where it reads "Fast" Eddie Hoe (misspelled like this too, IIRC). When I was a kid, I thought that meant he plays drums really really fast. Weird things we remember...

His drum fills on "Salesman" are just so tasteful and perfect. Not to mention his work on PVS.

8. cnath

cnath Senior Member

I'm amazed someone else asked about Eddie Hoh- I've tried for years to find out what happened to him - I've spoken with Larry Knechtel, Paul Leim,
    Carole Kaye, and who knows how many others, and hardly anyone had any
    recollection of Eddie-except Al Kooper, who believed he had passed away....

I actually found a post a couple of years ago on some drum discussion board from someone in Illinois who had sold Eddie Hoh a drum set, and I was able to track down his home address and telephone number with pretty good certainty (I'll try and find the info -I have the town name but can't remember what it is - not where you guys live, though... also his age - 60 at the time ....

I wanted to contact him but chickened out , thinking he's been out of sight for a reason ( mental and /or drug problems )...

Cnath

9. TheNomadicSoul

Interesting info, Cnath. This thread has me very curious all of a sudden. I wonder how he's been making a living all these years. Might not be wise to post his personal info though. Like you said, he's been laying low for a good reason. I would imagine he's in some remote part of the state where folks won't bug him. Such a legend though. It's such a shame that he stopped playing out though...

10. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the information.

J. D.

11. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

FWIW, whenever I listen to "Star Collector," I turn down the left channel so I can concentrate on Hoh's drumming. He just goes bananas for the long instrumental coda (even moreso on the extended version that appeared on the Rhino single-disc remaster from the 90's), a rock version of Elvin Jones if I ever heard one!

12. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

...and do you know what's strange? The fact that both men never had their name changed on the "Pisces..." Lp until now!! (The Lp misnames them as " (Fast)Eddie Hoe" and "Kim Copli"!!) Michael Boyce

13. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

I remember him from the Los Angeles scene in the mid sixties 66-68 ... I did a session with him and I believe Lee Micheals ( May have been someone else ? )at Sunset Sound . A one off as it were . Everybody referred to him as "FAST EDDIE HOE "
    He was lot like Kerim ( Kim Capli ) they both flew under the radar ,while other session players became well known .These two drummers did play great and God knows Eddie was well known in the session clique ...

John Bliss and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  14. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

does anybody know why hal blaine is sitting on the side of the stage when the M&P performed at Monterey? I think he either replaced or there were 2 drummers at some point, cos i seem to recall Hal playing. Wonderful to HEAR Joe Osborn even if you can't see him!

15. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

And it's even more wonderful (and hysterical) when he plays the wrong bass note after the break in "Monday, Monday" causing everyone to come in out of tune! :D

16. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

I believe Hal was there to back Cyrus Faryar in the Group with No Name.

I heard the same story about Eddie Hoh-- that he became an acid casualty. Still, a great drummer no matter how you slice it.

17. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

I think Chuck Day played bass on Sunday,Sunday ...

Chuck Day just dies last year . I think he did a lot of Mama/Poppa saessions .

18. zawinul

zawinul New Member

Al Kooper response to Eddie Hoh

I was always curious as to what became of Eddie Hoh, some how I stumbled upon Al Kooper's web site and asked him, here is my question to Al.
    Greetings Al,

Just a little note to say thank you for the Super Session LP from a number of years ago, played the hell out of the first LP bought a second album, and low and behold it’s out on CD and is still “fresh” sounding today. I do have a question, what ever happened to Eddie Hoh the drummer, I found him to be a very taste full drummer, and I learned a lot by listening to him play on Super Session “less is more” is what I came away with.If you find the time I would appreciate an answer always wondered what became of Eddie Hoh thank you in advanced.

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 1:05 PM

Subject: Re: Super Session!

Eddie Hoh passed away young. A car crash maybe.

When you get Super Session on CD, make sure you get the remastered version, distinguished by the GOLD upper left panel on the cover as opposed to the brown panel formerly. BIG difference in sound and extra tracks included.
    Just thought I would pass this along.
    Zawinul

19. cnath

cnath Senior Member

I emailed Al Kooper about Eddie a few years ago - he also told me he thought Eddie had died - however, I've corresponded with a guy in Forest Park,Illinois who sold Eddie a drum set about 8 or 9 years ago - said he last saw him about 2 years ago.... And there is an Edward Hoh listed in Forest Park, who previously lived in California, and is currently 64 years old.... seems like a good match...

As a drummer, i would love for Eddie to get the recognition he deserves, however, it seems he's not in too good a shape mentally, so unless a relative or friend realizes the interest people still have regarding his career, it's probably better he's left alone...

Cnath

zelox likes this.
  20. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

I had also read somewhere that he became homeless, although I'm guessing it was just a rumor. I predict that he's still around, but probably not a computer guy, and definately not a guy who is connected with drumming any more.

21. jaymz1

jaymz1 New Member

To give you guys an update, I am a police officer in the Western Suburbs of Chicago and Eddie Hoh is alive. Unfortunately Eddie has suffered from mental health issues for years and lives a very quiet life. I see Eddie walking down the street frequently talking to himself and he is what you would call almost homeless. He is reluctant to talk about his past, but does have a couple of close friends who help take care of him. Hope this helps answer some questions.

Steve Litos, zelox, Hot Ptah and 2 others like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Thanks for the update. Good to know he's still alive. And I'd take this as probable notice that one wouldn't want to try to contact him directly.

23. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

I just saw this thread & Am glad to hear that fast eddie is still with us:righton:
    It is sad to hear however that this guy is in bad mental shape & Is homeless?:(
    This guy played on a LOT of great music released during the 60's & early 70's, Did he not ever receive royalty's?
    Maby the music co.'s screwed him out of any payments?

24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Sounds like the right reason for his nickname to me...love his playing on the Monkees "Goin' Down".

25. viper66

viper66 Forum Resident

The funny thing is,As a kid I originally thought he only played a few songs on the Pisces,Aquarius LP.
    Later i found out he played on the whole album (minus- Two songs)And some of the 45's & I always loved his drum sound,with the hi- pitched toms.
    I believe he's on more than a few birds & bees lp tracks as well. Daydream believer & tapioca tundra are at least two of them:righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.