What Were the Three Best Concerts You Ever Saw?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harlanator, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrob0000

mrob0000 Forum Resident

• Stevie Ray Vaughan, opened by BB King - Greek Theater 1989 (this one by a country mile)
    • Playboy Jazz Festival - Hollywood Bowl, Every year since 1980
    • Foster The People - U.C. Berkeley 2012

2. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

Page and Plant - Sydney 1996 . can't imagine this being topped.
    Iron Maiden - Sydney 1985 . Powerslave tour and one of my first ever concerts right up the front. Memorable for sure.
    Metallica - Melbourne 1989.
    about 30 gigs would come in at 4th though.

3. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Best 3 Multi-Act Concerts:

July 1978 -- Texxas Jam -- Cotton Bowl -- Dallas, Tx.
    -------Ted Nugent was in his element. It took a stadium to cradle his ego, and it was a good fit! The Atlanta Rhythm Section were also very good.

Sept. 1974 -- ZZ Top Barndance & BBQ -- UT Memorial Stadium -- Austin, Tx.
    ------ZZ Top shined in this big event. "Just Got Paid" was the highlight of their set.

Nov. 1983 -- ARMS Benefit Concert -- Reunion Arena -- Dallas, Tx. (1st Night)
    ------Eric Clapton was consumate and flawless!

4. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen with the Seeger sessions band - Amsterdam 2006
    Radiohead - Nijmegen 2000
    Cold Chisel - Glasgow 2012
    Richard Thompson - Utrecht 2011
    Pink Floyd - Rotterdam 1977
    Sonic Youth Utrecht 1987
    R.E.M. - Utrecht 1987
    Einsturzende Neubauten - Eindhoven 1991

5. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Sir Richard Bishop
    Richard Thompson
    Pixies
    4th: Omar Souleyman or Melvins

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Bob Dylan -August 2001
    Tool -2009
    The Flaming Lips - August 2001

7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. 1973 or '74. (Houston). Just totally outstanding. Front and Center.

George Harrison. 1974. (Houston). So cool. Half way thru the concert he had all the white lights turned on. Here I am, there you are!! It was like a very personal experience. Like you were on stage with George.

David Bowie. (Perth). China Girl tour. Up front, off to the side.

Rod Stewart. (Singapore). It was just hip. And I was front and center, 15' from Rod the whole concert.

Been to a TON of concerts, Filmore West and Winterland so many times in 1970, every week really...just don't really remember any of the bands. It was a really good party!!

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very cool. Would have loved to have had an opportunity to see ELP during that era.

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

In no particular order:
    Phish - 3/20/92 - Broome County Forum Binghamton, NY
    Parliament/Funkadelic/Brides Of Funkenstein/Bootsy's New Rubber Band - 1996? Memphis
    James Brown - 97? It was here in Nashville

moosebass likes this.
  10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

It was in NYC at the Vision Fest. I live in Brooklyn, my screen name is a play on my real name and has nothing to do with Philadelphia.

11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

how do I double quote??
    Two things.....to the Winterland 77 guy who said his Terrapin was first.....actually that was 2/26/77, but, you actually saw something even better....the only complete Terrapin ever!!! (3/18/77). Also, to the 10/28/78 Yes Wembley guy, is this the show you saw that the bootleg (excellent quality) circulates? That Heart of the Sunrise is one of the best pieces of live music I have ever heard.

12. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Deep Purple 1971 Pirate's World - Dania,Fl.
    Little Feat 1978 Marietta College - Marietta,O.
    Edgar Winter Group w/Rick Derringer 1974 Charleston,WV

13. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

[quote Metallica - Melbourne 1989.[/quote]

Do you happen to know anyone who went to the Thebarton Theatre show in Adelaide, 1989? To see them in a venue that size would have been unbelievable for that tour!

14. Devo - new years eve 1980 Long Beach Sports Arena
    Led Zeppelin 1977 I think - The last tour to come to Los Angeles - I was 15 years old!
    King Crimson with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin about 1982 at the Greek Theater, orchestra pit seats!

moosebass likes this.
  15. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

U2 - 1981 - In a bar in Syracuse NY as they toured behind "Boy". I saw them that night and thought "These guys have IT...if they stay together they will be huge." They played I Will Follow twice.

Elvis Costello/Mink DeVille/Nick Lowe and Rockpile 1978- Nick was touring on Pure Pop, Mink on Cabretta and Elvis on This Year's Model. 2nd row seats. Unbelievable energy and cool radiating from that stage.

Paul Simon - Hershey PA - Rhythm of the Saints tour (91?) - Outdoors the night after the televised Central Park show - 2nd row dead center seats. Real musicians playing together. Steve Gadd with 4 percussionists playing an extended coda to Diamonds on the Soles of Her shoes. From where we sat we heard the music from the stage, not the PA - incredible.

16. lbgarcia

lbgarcia Senior Member

Now, there are these shows:

The Who - Fargo, ND - November 21, 1967 (a couple nights after Hollywood Bowl & Cow Palace shows) - The next week, Fargo's city commission banned The Who from future appearances (because of a couple alcohol arrests in audience)
    Junior Kimbrough and R. L. Burnside @ Junior's juke joint, north Mississippi (last weekend before New Year's 1996-97), one of the rare occasions both Junior & R.L. played the same night
    The Allman Brothers Band (w/ guest Tony Glover) - Midway Stadium, St. Paul, MN - SuperBall Fest - July 24, 1971 (date also included It's a Beautiful Day, Poco, Little Richard, Long John Baldry w/ Sam Mitchell, Mick Waller, & Pete Sears, and Joy of Cooking). Little Richard complained of a stomach ache and played only a few tunes.
    -------------
    On the other hand:
    Van Morrison - Vocation Hall - University of Toronto - July 3, 1973. Van didn't say a word (between songs) to the audience except possibly mumbling thanks (but then he might have been talking to his band).
    Ry Cooder (solo, mandolin) & Randy Newman (solo, piano) - Massey Hall, Toronto - October 1974
    Jesse Winchester - solo - some club on Bloor Street - Toronto - twice, September 1974, and a week later John Hammond, same club, solo (foot stompin'!!)

17. swvcc

swvcc Active Member

Saw Sonic Youth and the Replacements at Indiana University in the late 80's. Amazing.

moosebass likes this.
  18. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

1. David Gilmour and Richard Wright - April 16th 2006, Oakland, CA
    2. Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real & BB King - November 16th 2008, Portland, OR
    3. CSNY - July 27th 2006, Ridgefield, WA

19. moosebass

moosebass Forum reader and 'like'er.

I forgot about Sonic Youth, Pavement, and Primus at Red Rocks!!!

20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

The tour was in quad, and that was something to experience !

21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm jealous :eek:

22. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

1. Rush - Signals Tour, Providence Civic Center 1982(?) - my first real concert. Unbelievable.
    2. Scorpions - Love at First Sting tour, Providence Civic Center 1984 - Terrible sound, but an amazing performance by a band that never failed to deliver live.
    3. Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith, Providence Civic Center 1984 - Massive sound, crowd participation and power. Truly amazing.
    4. Iron Maiden/Accept - Powerslave/Balls to the Wall tours, Providence Civic Center 1984 - Maiden at their peak.
    5. Accept - Metal Heart Tour, Orpheum Theater, Boston, MA 1985 - Krokus was the headliner, but had their a$$es handed to them by opening act Accept. Udo owned everyone in that building.
    6. Ozzy/Queensryche - Ultimate Sin/Rage for Order tours, Providence Civic Center 1985 - Caught Queensryche and they hooked me. Jake E. Lee with Ozzy on US was huge. Never let them tell you Jake E. Lee doesn't deserve any respect.
    7. Metallica/Queensryche - Justice/Operation Mindcrime Tours, Worcester Centrum 1988 - Queensryche was pretty amazing, but the crowd sang every song during Metallica's set at the top of their lungs. I never heard them sound better.
    8. Grateful Dead - 3/24/91 Albany, NY - saw better musical performances by them, but the overall experience from the drive out to the drive back was life altering.
    9. Black Sabbath - Reunion Tour, Fleet Center, Boston, MA 1998 - Entire audience was blown away by how good these guys sounded, even with Ozzy pretending he was the most important person on stage. During "Snowblind" I saw God.
    10. Iron Maiden - 6/20/08 Mansfield, MA - Didn't expect this show to be as much of a monster as it ended up being. Lightning and storm clouds made it metal and the band just RIPPED through the whole show. Amazing crowd too.
    Encore: Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers tour, Providence Civic Center, 1985 - Had to fight our way through a hail storm to get to the show on purple microdot. John Lord blew the room away. "Child in Time" transported the room to another time.

23. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Michael Nesmith - Lonestar Roadhouse, NYC (2/92)

The Beach Boys - Saratoga Performing Arts Center, NY (6/23/12)

The Raspberries - BB King, NYC (7/05)

24. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Yeah, that Beach Boys SPAC show was a real KILLER !!

25. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - Giant Stadium Rutherford, NJ, 1990
    Bruce Hornsbey - State Theater, Kalamazoo, MI 1993
    Eric Clapton - Bobcats Arena, Charlotte, NC 2006

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.