Zu Dirty Weekends vs Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JPW87, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPW87

JPW87 Active Member Thread Starter

I'm new here - First thread!

I'm looking to get a new pair of speakers and have settled on these two as final options. I'm really just looking for any thoughts / opinions in comparing the two, and perhaps some recommendations!

Thanks!

Rick58 likes this.
  2. JPW87

Hoping to avoid a bombed first thread...

Any thoughts on this comparison?

3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Welcome! And I’m sure folks will chime in. IIUC there’s a good sale on the Zus ... tomorrow? Or something. So might have been good to have posted this last week!

yeah ... Omen Dirty Weekend [Mk.II] | Zu Audio

They both seem to be great speakers, I have no real experience with either.

4. JPW87

Thanks, Rick!

Yeah, I heard about the sale last week and have been looking at these two speakers as final options. I've lurked here for a long time, but I figured I'd finally start an account and ask this forum as a last minute decision making aid. I think I'll probably be happy with either one, but that doesn't make it any easier to choose!

Thanks again.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

What gear are you driving them with? I have heard good things about both speakers. Love those Zu colors. I’d have to buy the blue... Saw a Reddit post today where a guy with a vintage Marantz got some Lintons and aesthetically they matched up well.

6. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

they are kind of interesting speakers. the speaker trimming makes them more rich in looks.

7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Welcome! Fill out the information section of your profile so we know what gear you have (current amp, speakers, etc.).

8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

What amp do you plan to drive your speakers with? What are your musical preferences? Do you play analog or digital?

Archguy, SandAndGlass and mreeter like this.
  9. JPW87

Thanks all!

These will mainly be used for analog. I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable and run it through an Onkyo TX 8020 with pretty cheap bookshelf speakers. I know many say to upgrade your amp first, but I'm moving soon and am looking to upgrade to better (and better looking!) speakers now. Eventually, I'll upgrade from that Onkyo as well.

I listen to all kinds of stuff. A lot of jazz, a lot of country/bluegrass, and a lot of standard rock - Dylan, Stones, etc etc.

I think I'm leaning in the direction of Zu, but would still be interested in any thoughts you all may have.

displayname likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

If youre heading with the ZU then you have no problem in getting (pretty much) any amp from low to medium-high power.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

I’ve heard both. Haven’t heard the Zu in awhile though. They weren’t for me. The Linton would be my choice between those two, though by a small margin. Especially if you are not going with low power tubes

SandAndGlass and Helom like this.
  12. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I recently purchased a pair of Wharfedale Linton Heritage and you can see my comments in the main Linton thread.

In the last week and a half I’ve spent quite a bit of time listening to them. They do male and female vocals very well and the classic rock genre sounds really nice through the Linton’s. To me the rhythm section really is portrayed very tunefully, bass guitar, stand up bass, drums and percussion provide a really solid foundation and sound natural. I’ve removed my subwoofer from my system and use these full range.

Obviously I recommend auditioning them first, that’s what I did, I had them in my system at home for a weekend and played a lot of various musical selections through them to make sure they were right for me.

I’ve never heard Zu’s so I cannot speak to comparisons. I’ll just say in this price range Lintons are definitely worth auditioning.

You can see my associated equipment in my profile.

displayname and Rick58 like this.
  13. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Interesting finalists since they are two completely different speakers. Pin-point, laser imaging and very detailed versus warm, open, and dynamic (relatively speaking).

Mad shadows, timind, Rick58 and 3 others like this.
  14. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm with Dr. J, you need to listen to them, they are very different to each other in presentation. Some times it can help if you read about people that didn't like the speaker instead of just the raves. Then you can get an idea about the weaknesses as well as the strengths.

displayname, timind and bever70 like this.
  15. JPW87

It’s a good point. I think I’m still in the process of developing that preference. Maybe the move is to take advantage of Zu’s 60 day trial and return if they’re not for me. ‍♂️.

displayname and timind like this.
  16. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I think it's a fine plan to do the in-home demo but agree with JPW87 that you should know what the shortcomings are first before pulling the trigger. I was intrigued by full-range speaker designs for a long time but never heard any aside from some DIY Fostex speakers. I had my expectations dashed after hearing a Zu Omen at an audiophile's house who was liquidating his collection. It took all about a minute to know that that speaker was not for me. I was sitting outside the very small "sweet spot" at first and asked if I could sit in it, and things improved but I moved my head like a foot and the magic disappeared. That's when I knew that I needed speakers with more room filling sound and favored musicality versus precision.

bhazen and unclefred like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I used to have planar speakers and after a few years I tired of the head in a vise myself.

Dr. J. likes this.
  18. Classic Car Guy

19. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Those are sharp!

20. Classic Car Guy

They have different colors if you want.
    I just talked to Mr. Casey. Seems like he's gonna be so busy. Well as always...

21. JPW87

Such a tough call! Sale live in an hour and 'tempted' is an understatement...

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

The price of the Omens rises quickly with the cap upgrade, any finish other than hickory and the shipping. Of course, if you need stands for the Lintons then it's comparable.

I'm surprised the large drivers of the Zus makes for a narrow sweet spot.

23. Classic Car Guy

"narrow sweet spot?" you mean the cabinet?

24. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Sweet spot is your listening position right in the middle of the speakers , where you get the best stereo image and wide/deep (hopefully) soundstage

25. Classic Car Guy

you know these type of speaker are killer on some enclosed spots. Like for example a ling time ago I use to have different speakers like back ported, passive radiators, front forted, 98% sealed. I fined it wanting to listen more to the down draft line / ported like this cabinet. I tend to place it n different positions and it feels more, bass, more depth sound inside an enclosed cabinet and the speakers pointing at you. I feel the surround effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.