Am I too cynical...

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by markshan, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markshan

markshan Forum Resident Thread Starter

or is this guy trying to make a few bucks from something he knows is broken?

http://cgi.ebay.com/dj-turn-table_W...ryZ64448QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He says "Platter turns freely but don't know how to power on", then describes the unit as "Belt-drive semi-automatic turntable Automatic return and shut-off DC servo motor for accurate platter rotation Anti-resonant base cuts down on vibration Controls are outside the acrylic cover".

He knows all that but doesn't know how to power it on?:confused:

2. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Nope, you're not being cynical at all. Most people know intuitively that to power on most electronic equipment you look for the "on" button and push it.

Dale

3. Looks like a piece of plastic junk anyway.

4. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

This model has no "On" button

The descriptions used by the seller appear word for word in other descriptions for this turntable on the web, and are probably in the owner's manual pictured. That does not mean the seller, with four pieces of feedback, understands what (s)he wrote, only that the words were probably pasted in or transcribed from somewhere else.

5. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I have three of these. The seller is genuinely confused, and unfamiliar with this type of table in general.

The slider on the left says 33 45. The sliders on the right say Cueing, and the button on the right says Stop.

There is no on button.

I buy lots of these 'broken' because people can't operate them. Same goes for Duals, and those ones with the tonearms in the lids. Anyone buying them from me gets a tutorial. It's easy once you know how...

These models come in Belt and Direct drive. The tonearms, alas P-mount only, are fabulous. Almost no bearing play, very silky and low resonance. These are the 'downmarket' of the ones used on the SP-15 and SP-25 tables. The bases and mechanics could be better, but these are not top end items.

6. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Is there a cartridge you'd reccomend for that? I've got an old one sitting in my garage. Perhaps I'll pop a new belt and cart on there and see what she's like.

7. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Nahh emkay, just sell it on Ebay as 'mega rare' as it would be the only one of it's kind on Ebay that is operational. :p

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

For the unadventurous, any of the thin Shure bodies with an M97XE stylus should fit. You'll have to buy a used body.

This is probably the best P-mount currently on sale:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=LG&Product_Code=ATC311EP&Category_Code=A3

and they sell a replacement line contact stylus for it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.