Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The Boy George/lisping thing is absolutely strange for sure but it signifies Vince's (and the WWE writers) twisted sense of humor. The box portion however can easily be explained, Taker was feuding with Big Show who was acting as the scared heel and having Paul Heyman go out on his behalf every week bearing gifts to try and smooth things over. The boxes ended up including a puppy dog, Brother Love, and finally Kanyon. I seriously doubt that Taker knew what was going to happen, when he had the Big Evil gimmick it was becoming almost commonplace for Vince and the boys backstage to try and rib Taker to make him break kayfabe on television and these surprises were trying to do just that. This was simply a burial of the many WCW talent of the time, this one just happened to be in extremely poor taste.

2. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

You and @WarEagleRK called it: Corny stated that Dynamite Grand Slam! was top to bottom the best program AEW has done so far and it was better than anything WWE has produced in recent memory. He mentioned this was Omega's best match of his career and that Danielson brought the best out in him because he led the match. He thought the draw ending was the right choice but criticized the handling of the Time Limit Draw mainly for the fact that there were no time calls to build the tension.

Brian Last did point out that Omega has had good matches in the past and called out Cornette for not watching them or not giving them a fair shake. He specifically pointed out the Okada matches and the 30 minute iron man match with Pac.

Corny's last comment regarding how WWE must feel watching that match specifically: that some people at Connecticut HQ must be thinking of invoking the 25th Amendment on Vince McMahon LOL.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

glad he liked it though. i actually do agree they should have been announcing every 5 minutes how much time is left. i knew he's love the draw though. i wonder has he really NOT seen a lot of pre AEW omega stuff or just doesn't care after he feels omega burned him.

i still feel though omega works to the style of the talent he is facing. he simply hasn't faced anyone outside of maybe christian, that works like the american dragon does.

JCRW likes this.
  4. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I think 5 minute calls should always be made. New Japan does them every 5 minutes and it builds the drama in long matches.

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

The time call is a very simple item to fix and seeing how AEW has been listening to comments like this maybe we will actually get that feature back. In regards to Omega it sounds like a mixture of both not watching his pre AEW matches and what little he did he just disregarded them because of the burning. It's good that Brian Last will call out Cornette on stuff like that but it's highly doubtful that Corny will sit back and re-review Omega's career. This is the highest praise that Omega will ever get.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I agree with this.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

anyone have any updated on how the superstar or terry funk are doing?

9. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Billy Graham was released from the hospital and provided an update on Facebook on Sept 22 saying he is feeling pretty weak but taking it easy and recovering. There has been no update on Terry Funk.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

thank you. I hope the superstar can stay with us a lot longer. the world without the superstar isn't a world we should want to think about

blutiga and JCRW like this.
  11. WarEagleRK

@Matthew Tate

I think you will enjoy the 1st minute or so of Being The Elite this week...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So what does WWE do to counter all of the great entertainment AEW is pumping out? They pretend the ring rope breaks causing Balor/The Demon to fall and lose to Roman. As though the fact Balor is about the size of one of Romans legs wasn’t enough to give Roman the win.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

And Charlotte Flair had to use a doll to be able to beat Alexa Bliss. Here I thought the PG Era was the lowest the WWE could go.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Extreme Rules" lost out to the Packers-49ers game last night for me. I'll watch it sometime this week, I assume, but I can't say that I'm excited to. I may be nearing the end of 50 years of watching WWWF/WWF/WWE product.

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

The funny part only one match had any “rules” changes to go from a regular match to an extreme rules one.

Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

And I was looking forward to another "gouge the other guy's eye out" match!

Matthew Tate and noname74 like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

I figured something since he was impact this last week

18. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Great MLW episode last week with Davey Richards vs TJP in the main event:

WarEagleRK and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. WarEagleRK

I know you're not an AEW fan, but I think you are reading far too much into that. I heard it as they were remarking on how the industry was at the time compared to today. If I'm not mistaken they never even mentioned AEW in the show at all. All the Young Bucks said is they were in the crowd at the Boy George show as teenagers and didn't understand why they were destroying Kanyon in his 1st night back. Jim Mitchell was the only one who really alluded to it being they knew he was gay and were using that angle to pick on him for it because that's what Kanyon had told him.

I had never seen the Boy George thing before, I never understand in wrestling why anyone decides something like that is a good idea... in any era.

JCRW likes this.
  20. WarEagleRK

This made me think of how the WWF really protected their title back in the day, but from all accounts never should have gone from Graham to Backlund so quickly. I was waaaay too young to be a fan then but from everything I read Graham was drawing huge as a heel that would get cheers and Vince Sr. had told Graham when he won the title the date he would lose the title and didn't go against that plan. It seems since he was drawing as a heel champion they should have kept the belt on him until that started to fade...much like Savage in 1989.

Backlund's run was too long. From watching shows later it's obvious the crowd was ready for a change by 81/82 and Snuka was the obvious choice, but I totally get why he didn't get it. Valentine was another one that could have been a heel WWF champion until they found their charismatic babyface like Bruno, Pedro or Hogan.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

More praise from Corny

JCRW likes this.
  22. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I get that perspective for sure. The absolutely strange thing about the Boy George segment is it seems like nobody remembers it at all. Either they didn't watch it or they just don't remember it. For me I don't remember the segment one bit (the only thing of Kanyon I remember was the interview with Funaki) but I do clearly remember the segments with the puppy dog and Brother Love. The biggest burial I remember watching (coincidentally during the same year 2003) was Stone Cold walking out and destroying Lance Storm's career on live television. The stuff WWE got away with back then is unbelievable.

WarEagleRK and MikeInFla like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

vince jr has said he wouldn't have taken the belt off superstar at that time if he was in charge back then

WarEagleRK likes this.
  24. WarEagleRK

I am listening to this and Cornette hates Omega so much that he doesn't even know why he is mad at him anymore. He attributed several different matches he wasn't even involved in during his long run up to the match talking about the stuff he doesn't like that Omega was involved with. Not surprising he acts like this is Omega's 1st great match ever. Danielson is great, one of the best technical wrestlers ever, but 98% of the people in wrestling aren't having that level of a match with him. It takes both of them. Maybe one day Cornette will come around on that, but it doesn't seem likely.

He actually said "I'm still amazed that this guy can get booked at all".

JCRW and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Matthew Tate

are the funk brothers the oldest living recognized nwa champs?