Best Picture Oscar Winners : The Good, The Bad and The Really?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Was just looking at a list of all the Best Picture Oscar winners from 1928 ( ' Wings') through to last year's ' Greenbook.
    First thing was I was somewhat suprised I had only seen about half of the winners.
    Second thing was that in addition to naming the winners the list also showed the other contenders. Lots of suprises there.
    Here's an example :
    In 1994 ' Forrest Gump ' won Best Picture. Up against it were ' Pulp Fiction' , ' The Shawshank Redemption ' , ' Quiz Show ' and 'Four Weddings and a Funeral '--- all of which I liked better.
    But that' s me. You ?

clayton likes this.
  2. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

i suspect shawshank took a while to reach the popularity it now has.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Correct. Flopped at the box-office and only gained traction on video and through replay on TV.

4. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

forrest gump was a pretty big deal i think at the time, the feelgood-feeling, the way they used technology (that i assume for the time) was pretty groundbreaking in how they put him into historical situations etc.

5. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Not sure what the Original Poster's question is:
    Shawshank name seemed to hold the film back at the time.

I would say its actually Forest Gump that I've grown the appreciate the most. At the time I thought it was a gimick. Now, I think its a great love story.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Saw FWAAF way back when but don't remember anything about it which doesn't bode well for how it was enjoyed. Likely OK but nothing revolutionary.

Quiz Show was well done but I rewatched this year and though it's technically flawless, there's no payoff and the denouement is predictable and weak at best. Definitely had no emotional involvement while watching it.

Never liked Quentin Tarantino's work in any way. WAY too stylized for my tastes and Pulp Fiction just seemed like a collage of short moments designed to either look or sound cool without much in the way of actual real story. Again, zero emotional involvement while watching it.

Forrest Gump is a movie that's cool to trash nowadays but it is not only technically well made but also had amazing performances, a fantastic screenplay, showed Tom Hanks wasn't a one-trick pony after the breakthrough performance in Philadelphia, made Gary Sinise's career, I could go on and on. Silvestri's score was so great and the theme is instantly recognizable. Even his Back To The Future theme isn't recognizable by 99% of people regardless of how great that other Zemeckis movie is. FG is quite a poetic movie. Don't care what anybody says ; a tour-de-force movie and by no luck at all. Everybody brought their A-game.

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies of all-time. It is certainly a gem and a perfect movie in every way. However, it didn't have the exposure FG had. Ironically, it is a poetic movie as well.

FG can be argued to be a one-viewing experience for some, but boy, what an experience! SR is a movie that gains more and more respect with repeated viewings. A slow burner.

I don't believe in pitting art against art which is why I kind of despise awards. Is SR better than FG? To most, yes. To me, it is only as I find myself watching it more often but that doesn't in any way take anything away from what FG accomplished. Just one person's opinion.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

There have been numerous years where I liked one or two nominees more than the Best Picture winner. But a year where I preferred all the other nominees? I don’t think so.

Now, if we’re talking years where I preferred four other pictures including some non-nominees, that would be the vast majority of them. :)

8. Wildest cat from montana

Some examples please.

9. Monosterio

The closest probably would be 2004, when I preferred The Aviator, Ray and Sideways to Million Dollar Baby. But then I really hated Million Dollar Baby. :D

I don’t recall Finding Neverland at all, so it’s possible it was worse. And my 2004 favorite wasn’t up for best picture: Hotel Rwanda.

10. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't like ' Ray ' at all but did prefer ' The Aviator ' over ' Million Dollar Baby'.
    And , like you ' Finding Neverland ' ain't ringing a bell.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Steve Litos likes this.
  12. Monosterio

Another one: 1980–Among the Best Picture nominees, I preferred Raging Bull and The Elephant Man to Ordinary People. But I also preferred these non-nominees: Dressed to Kill, The Empire Strikes Back, Melvin and Howard and The Stunt Man.

I could do this for almost every year—but I won’t.

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. Wildest cat from montana

This is a perfect example. How did ' Ordinary People ' , an ok drama , get the best pic nod over ' Raging Bull' ? Say what?

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

2018 sex with fish-man Shape of Water movie
    HOCH! PTOOEY!

15. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't mind this one. It was different. But best?

razerx likes this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I stopped caring about the Oscars in 1979

apesfan and rod like this.
  17. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

There are a lot of people who feel “Greatest Show on Earth” winning best picture in 1952 over “High Noon”, “The Quiet Man”, “Singing in the Rain”, “Ivanhoe” and “Moulin Rouge” was one of the worst choices. Perhaps it was sentiment for director Cecil B DeMille, one of the founders of early Hollywood. Stanley Kramer said it was McCarthyism choosing it instead of “High Noon” although that doesn’t explain why Gary Cooper won best actor.

Vidiot and Steve Litos like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I would've preferred L.A. Confidential win best picture instead of Titanic (1998). I've seen the former 4x over the years and Titanic not once.
    I guess there's no reason to see the latter since we all know (spoiler alert!) the ship sank.

19. Wildest cat from montana

Great example of the Academy missing the boat .
    ' High Noon ' is a classic. ' Greatest Show...' is meh.

Ghostworld and Pete Puma like this.
  20. A funny quote from Colin regarding Greatest Show On Earth: " Maybe 45 minutes worth of story stretched to more than two and a half hours, this flick made me want to run away and join the circus just so I didn’t need to watch it any more.":laugh:

21. Wildest cat from montana

Because ' Apocalypse Now ' was beaten out by ' Kramer Versus Kramer ' ?

22. Yikes! That was a bad pick!

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not a 'gump' fan at all. actually made it hard for me watch tom hanks in anything else, i keep hearing that horrible forest gump accent.

such a bad movie, but then again 'titanic' was one of the worst movies i ever saw (other than the CGI ship sinking) i couldn't watch leonardo for a long time after that one either.

and 'pearl harbor" and 'saving private ryan'...take out the battle scenes and they were both a bit tedious.

lobo and apesfan like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

an absolute disaster from the academy......almost as bad as the hollywood foreign press leaving deniro out of the golden globe best actor category this because he said something they didn't like.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

What happened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.