Big artists with a 'sell-out' disco hit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Melanie was long past her commercial peak when she released her disco single "Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed".

SmallDarkCloud and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Disco doesn't necessarily have to have either.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thing is, a lot of pop incorporated disco. "What A Fool Believes" could certainly pass for disco. They even made a 12" disco single of it that basically extends the song.

Jarleboy likes this.
  4. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

We agree. Its a great song, and The Doors are the first ones I know who fused many genres into one, and just overall were great.

Jarleboy and Nielsoe like this.
  5. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

In point of fact I don't think it is a bad song either. It just seems that some of the purists out there including the band itself did not believe it was their best work

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

That's interesting! A rarely (if ever) mentioned fact is the influence of Eddie Kendricks' 'Keep On Truckin' on Shine On You Crazy Diamond part 8. Gilmour quotes the riff played in the break at 2.10 towards the end of the full length studio version (after the fade on the LP), as well as at the end of live versions from 75.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Jarleboy likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

:wtf:

8. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

How could it be? OP says he wants to make a "fun compilation"... and not a bad idea, though a lot of the songs being listed (especially from the dinosaur rock bands) don't much seem like disco to me.

9. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Just curious. Where do you think "Arrow Through Me" by Wings lands?

10. Raf

Raf Senior Member

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Boz Scaggs’ “Lowdown”

One of my 10 all-time favorite songs, btw.

ARK likes this.
  12. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

Ohmigawd! So many posts to which to respond to! :D
    It was also that he was dating Cher around this time, and seeing how her disco song {which, intriguingly, nobody has mentioned on this thread} "Take Me Home", really revived her prescence on the top 40 chart, felt (no doubt though, encouraged by Casablanca ~ the home of Donna Summer (read further}) this was be a good move for KISS to do.
    I have the 12-inch remix of "(I Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman", and a few more which I identify further down below. In 1980, Rolling Stones records, a shop in Norridge, IL. (a suburb of Chicago, entirely surrounded by Chicago), which remains in business this very day, was seemingly loathe of any 12-inch remixes it somehow was delivered, and was determined to get them off the premises by charging very, very, very low prices for them. I may have been the only caucasian, cis-hetero person who was willing to buy them (and survive the dirty looks from check-out clerks), but buy them I did. Yes - a punk attitude to record buying.
    "Swearin' To God" was another 12-inch I bought @ Rolling Stones records. How could Motown, of all labels, not seen the dance potential of this song?!
    The "Grease" movie soundtrack was the solid composite of every chart style in 1978. Frankie Valli's title tune was disco. "Hopelessly Devoted To You" by Olivia Newton-John was country. "You're The One That I Want" was the Top 40 tune. Marketing reigned, but managed to survive because the music was so strong.
    Orthogonian - don't be so hard on yourself. Elektra intended "The Game" to be the next single off the LP {but then again, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" should not have been on the LP in the first place}, but "Another One Bites The Dust" somehow started getting played on Urban Contemporary stations in major markets (like Chicago), and the label took notice to what was occuring - it was released as a single, and it did better than what they had forecast for "The Game". {C.V.: I suggest that, from 1975-1985, Urban Contemporary FM stations where were you should have been hanging out.} Anyhow, AOBtD is still played on MeTV-FM's "Dance With Me" Saturday night feature - as is "Radio Gaga".
    Don't blame them. The first commercially released rap record, "Rapper's Delight", scarfed the rhythm line from "Good Times". Carmine Appice, of Rod Stewart's band, related that the band spent an entire night listening to "Good Times" to get the beat for "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy".
    Some of these songs I can't comment accurately about, but "When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman", "Fame", & (mentioned beneath) did get a 12-inch remix.
    I have the pink vinyl 12-inch Dolly Parton record ("Baby I'm Burnin'").
    David Bowie said, when listening to "I Feel Love" with Brian Eno, this is where music is going. I need to do this.
    Everybody needs to hear the 12-inch version of "Miss You" if not only for the lyric where Mick's friends compare girls to streetcars. MeTV-FM played this the other week, which was astounding for it, as it usually plays only the 7-inch version of songs. That AOR stations stick their heads in the ground and not play the 12-inch version, especially when they play 12-inch versions of 1980s songs, is irreseponsible.

LoveYourLife, anorak2 and Grant like this.
  13. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have seen this song referred to as Paul doing Stevie Wonder style R&B, which I find to be a fitting description; it also has that funky electronic bass line which Paul Simon apparently liked a lot. Erykah Badu sampled the song a few years ago :

Erykah Badu - Gone Baby, Don't Be Long - OFFICIAL VIDEO

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Right, they played a sloppy approximation of the Martha & The Vandellas arrangement from 1966-71, but changed to a tight, funky disco arrangement in 1976. They recorded the new arrangement in the studio for Terrapin Station in 1977. I actually like their “Disco Dancin’” better than their first take.

Rfreeman likes this.
  15. pudgym

pudgym Monster Raving Loony

If you noticed when I posted my reply, it was after 2:00 am. I was being chased out of the bar where I was composing it. I didn't finish it. :oops:
    "Sneakers 54": Sea Level felt so embarrassed by this that it was left off their 'Best Of' release (which I have on cassette). When you had only four records reach the national charts, to leave one of them off your 'Best' compilation is stating something.

A slow disco record was what brought Herb Alpert back to the charts are a considerable lapse: "Rise" was only 96 BPM. Follow-up singles "Rotation" and "Street Life" also did well for him.

"What A Fool Believes" got a 12-inch remix. Nicolette Larson's "Lotta Love" got a 12-inch remix. Those were played on WEFM, the hotch-potch station that changed from classical to Top 40. :winkgrin:

anorak2 and LoveYourLife like this.
  16. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I LOVE it..especially the 12 inch version.....dueling leads, flamenco guitar and the bass really slays. I have the 12 inch if it. Wings did multi genres though, so don’t really know if it’s a sellout but I guess was to disco. McCartney said had gone to a disco and was inspired to write this. He and Lennon unlike many of their fans said they both loved disco.

17. joy stinson

Agree with your post.

Rfreeman likes this.
  18. joy stinson

Right...the quintessential disco song.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

ispace likes this.
  20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

21. joy stinson

LOL, always at your McCartney responses...but goodnight tonight was considered a disco song and played on those stations in large urban areas I read.

22. joy stinson

This is extraordinary...love it.

23. joy stinson

I thought of this more like funk/ELECTRONICA mainly, but it definitely has some disco beats through. I once counted multi genres throughout this song. It’s my favorite wings song, electronica and live version. The video slays.

24. joy stinson

To me it’s r n b in rhythm. LOVE the song..one of McCartney’s finest.

25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

None of those are disco. maybe the Stones is funk at most.
    Queen is a rip off of rapper Kurtis Blow's Christmas Rappin'.
    Also calling Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 disco is a big stretch.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.