Can a cheap turntable damage records (MY 1ST POST!)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member

If you're not going to play 45s much, you don't need to have a speed changing button on top. You change the speed on Rega turntables by moving the platter, switching the belt to a different rung, then replacing the platter. Kind of a PITA, but if you don't play 45s -- and I don't -- it's no biggie.

2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a feeling it was a "DJ" feature that I'd never use. To be honest, I think it kind of makes the turntable appear overly cluttered and well......ugly.

3. dennis1077

Sounds easy enough.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You are assuming the record was cut at the correct speed. . .

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It may sound easy, but you need to have a clear space to put the glass platter every time you move it off the spindle. When you're playing records, flat spaces tend to get taken up by empty record covers and records (in their covers) that you haven't put back on their shelves yet. The glass is heavy, and if it slides onto the floor, it could chip or break.

6. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

The P1 doesnt have a glass platter

7. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Useful if you like to play along with records! :)

8. dennis1077

Holy crap! I NEVER realized that!!!!! I'm a TOTAL guitar geek. SOOO.......let's say I wanted to learn how to play Van Halen's Eruption. I'd be able to have the record play at a slower speed and analyze Eddie's passages at a slower, more digestable speed.....correct?

9. dennis1077

Is this a common issue?

10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Yes. Or maybe the guitars were slightly detuned for the original recording, and you don't want to have to deal with re-tuning your whole guitar to play along. Change the pitch and you can get the tune to match. It's very useful for this!!!! My MiniDisc deck has a similar control and I've LOVED it for learning songs on bass.

11. dennis1077

Here I thought this was a completely useless control meant for DJs. Turns out that something I thought was going to be annoying actually has a useful function for me.

12. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Yeah, that's more what I was talking about. If you wanted to learn Eruption, it would be better to load it into your computer and use some sort of software to slow it down or something.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are recordings recorded off pitch and a pitch control is useful in this sense as well.

14. dennis1077

Oops. Sort of misunderstood you there.

15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Not sure, not being a musician or having anything close to a sense of perfect pitch, but it does happen. Kind Of Blue is probably the most famous example.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Also, the indie Family Records pressing of Billy Joel's Cold Spring Harbor is slightly off pitch as well.

17. leir

leir Forum Resident

You should really take a look at the above linked YouTube video. It does a decent job (although there is no in depth explanations, and he totally neglects anti-skate) of getting you familiar with most of the terms being thrown around on this thread that you don't fully understand yet. The more familiar you are with turntables, the better questions you will be able to ask to get the answers you seek.

18. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

My Project 1.2 has markings on the counterweight, just got home and doublechecked to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

19. dennis1077

NICE! I can't believe how much I'm learning from this thread!

20. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

if you've got a turntable that can play 78's, having a slider to adjust speed can be useful, as there are actually a couple of different standards for "78 RPM."

anyways, as to the topic question, i'm willing to bet this cheap turntable will damage your records.

21. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

:eek:

22. xman

xman Active Member

Looks like two records sandwiched in. The horror.

23. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Oh Lord no.
    Doesn't Crosley make those mind-boggingly crappy pseudo-wannabe Victrola units sold at Target?

24. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

25. arachnophilia

arachnophilia Forum Resident

i'm glad that i'm not the only one whose mind is boggled at those things. but this thing is like... exponentially more mind-boggling.

i can't even express my WTF-ed-ness over this thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.