Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #51)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Ahhh but I am a James Coburn fan...so for me it is "In Like Flint".....even though it is wrong. :D

bluemooze likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Amazon it is. I can't pass this up. I had no idea it was so cheap.

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I owned over 1/3 of the set already, but couldn't resist.

4. George P

[​IMG]

Dug this long OOP CD out of the used bins at a local used shop tonight. Now enjoying it.

5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

maybe i'm spoiled by listening to a bunch of golden-age Decca recordings recently. i found this one lacking in impact & detail.
    it just seemed dull, under wraps. certainly RCA got better sound in that venue for Munch & Fiedler.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I must have gotten the last copy then, it was "ships in 24 hours" when I ordered my copy on November 5. Now I am concerned because my order still shows as "not shipped yet". Does anyone know how long it takes for importcds to ship an item, presumably when they have it in stock.
    The only thing that I 've ordered from them previously was the Cortot box back in December and I remember that it took them a while to ship it.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Great cover!

8. Rose River Bear

Import CDs has always been pretty fast delivery for me. I can't ever remember waiting too long for an order from them. With me, if it was in stock, they ship in a day or so.

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Wasn't Szeryng a tremendous violinist, George? I have many recordings by him.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, I 'll wait till Monday and if they haven't shipped it till then I' ll cancel my order and go the Amazon route.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  11. George P

To cancel, I think you'll need to call them: (949) 225-1170.

I wouldn't even wait until Monday, for by then amazon could be sold out too. I'd wait till mid-day tomorrow at the latest. importcds is on the east coast, so you can call them until 5pm-6pm EST.

12. coopmv

Now playing CD7 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

13. coopmv

I have not purchased any CD's from ImportCDs after the fatboy jewel case for a Mendelssohn piano works set was totally crushed on arrival due to flimsy packaging. Fortunately, none of the CD's were damaged.

14. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

Thx for the review! Sounds interesting... Although I'm a huge fan of Schubert, his symphonic output is not something I gravitate towards, and I do wonder whether hearing the early symphonies in the HIP light might change their impact for the better!

15. coopmv

Even though I have three Beethoven Symphonies cycles that are HIP, I am still not sold on HIP for any classical works ...

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Usually several days (except on the one occasion I needed to cancel an order in which instance it shipped within hours).:realmad::)

Edit - just checked - the Rubinstein box took two days to ship.

5-String likes this.
  17. john greenwood

I got to meet him many years ago when he gave a concert at Cornell. He signed my box set of the Bach solo violin works.

mkolesa likes this.
  18. john greenwood

West Coast isn't it? At least their warehouse. All my shipments originate in CA.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, George I "ll give them a call later today.

20. George P

I think you can also send an email, but I much prefer to cancel over the phone and get immediate confirmation before ordering a replacement on an item, especially one that expensive.

5-String likes this.
  21. George P

[​IMG]

Speak of the devil, more Mozart in the morning from the big Rubinstein box.

TGIF!

22. George P

Yes, they are on the west coast. Still, I wouldn't call any business on a Friday after 3pm, which is why I said until 6pm.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I feel the same about Schubert's symphonies. I have quite a few recordings of them but I never really got into them with the exception of maybe 8 and 9. I think that the early symphonies sound best when played by a small orchestra while 8 and 9 benefit more by a "romantic" interpretation and larger forces.

24. George P

If you ever get the chance, please hear Harnoncourt's set of Schubert symphonies. Like you, I found it hard to get into these works (well, the early ones anyway.) Harnoncourt's set helped me appreciate all of Schubert's symphonies.

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Harnoncourt set and I agree that it is excellent. I remember that I got it right when it was released and it was a revelation especially on the early works. I am not saying that I don't like Schubert's early symphonic output. They are definitely quite enjoyable. But there is also too much Mozart and Haydn influences in them and understandably so, he was just in his teens when he wrote them. I prefer the 8 and the 9 because this is where he found his true voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.