Daniel Johnston R.I.P.- Austin, TX songwriter*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrAftershave, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

His was a hard lot; sorry to hear the news.

phantomime likes this.
  2. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

It says more about his embarrassing lack of musical knowledge than anything else.

eelkiller and Danby Delight like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Aw, sad.
    Rest In Peace
    [​IMG]

4. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Oh man, this is going to hit me hard. Huge fan. He was what I would call a "genius songwriter". I met him when he played Al's Bar in Los Angeles in '96. He drew some pictures for me. I told him Matt Groening was a huge fan of his and that I'll introduce him to Matt and he was really excited. After I saw Matt in the crowd a little while later, I was going to do the introduction, but Matt had already ran up to Daniel and met him. Eventually "Rocketship" would be used in an episode of Futurama.

Daniel was also a HUGE fan of this band called the Beatles.

5. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I’m really sad to hear this. I think in many ways we still haven’t come to realize how truly talented he was.

6. Certainly a unique and original talent. Could never get past his s8nging voice but he did write some lovely songs. RIP.

7. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Sad. I saw him play at La Zona Rosa once opening up for Yo La Tengo. Realized at some point that Ira was standing a bit behind me watching his set. That would have been something like 2001-2002. RIP.

Maurice, jalexander and Davido like this.
  8. japes

japes Senior Member

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is one of my favorite documentaries. He was such a talent, yet a tortured soul.

Rest in Peace, Daniel

drivingfrog, MothMonsterMan and woody like this.
  9. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I discovered Daniel's music through Eddie Vedder playing Walking The Cow on his Self Pollution Radio special in Jan '95, although I was aware of him as a person thanks to Kurt Cobain wearing the Hi, How Are You shirt. That album and Yip Jump music are still among my all time favorite albums and Walking The Cow still packs an emotional wallop every time I hear it - as though you're peering directly into another human being's soul. Rest in peace, Daniel. :cry:

Grunge Master likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

11. Such sad news.

Here is Duglas of Scottish Band BMX Bandits performing a stripped-down version of 'Do You Really Love Me' (Tell Me Now)

My condolences to family and friends.

Best Wishes,
    David

12. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

This is incredibly sad news. He was uniquely talented.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So sad. He didn't live an easy life. I hope he's at peace now.

Mental illness sucks.

dsky, Mr. H, Sear and 5 others like this.
  14. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Sad news. I bought practically all of his self-made cassettes back in the day. Hope he’s at peace now.

15. Matt Barone

Matt Barone Forum Resident

Such sad news! I saw him in Boston when I was in college. He forgot the lyrics to his song. Thanks to my friend he helped him sing the song. A chuckle from Daniel and an thanks to my friend for helping him made our night! He was awesome and will be sorely missed.

16. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Sorry to hear the news,"The Devil and Daniel Johnston" left me perplexed, such inmense raw talent, pure talent, what a songwriter, this guy lived music, its such a joy to hear his records and witness his almost uncontrolable creativity,

RIP Daniel

17. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

R.I.P. Daniel...his discs on Shimmy Disc "1990" and "Artistic Vice" are awesome...

18. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan but the movie about him really got to me. You had to feel for the guy and all his struggles. it's amazing he was able to be so prolific.

All Down The Line likes this.
  19. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  20. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Can't say anything that hasn't already been said. RIP.

vince likes this.
  21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Damn :(

So glad I got to see him the last time he was in Melbourne. He played a short acoustic set at the beginning of the show and I was completely transfixed.

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  22. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I'll just post one of the first of many excellent covers of an early Daniel Johnston song... we used to love The Reivers' cover of Walking the Cow (it was thankfully added to their debut when it was released on CD years later). It's a gateway to Daniel Johnston.

23. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Not a shock but a major bummer. Loved this dude and this song in particular. I only ever recorded myself playing two songs and this was one of them. Godspeed, Daniel!

24. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Very sad. Definitely a genius even if an unconventional one. He will be missed.

25. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Rest in peace Daniel.

Grunge Master likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.