Dire Straits Brothers in Arms MOFI 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by irwin69, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Wasn't it recorded digitally? How much can 45 rpm help?

john lennonist and Rockos like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^Not much. How much more can we possibly spend on this title? NO MAS! Why wasn't this on TBA for two years?

4. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

what a surprise, I had no idea this was coming, absolutely bought this today! not only a favorite but I am a big fan of 45rpm and MOFI...

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think the 45 rpm releases from Mo-Fi have been great so in spite of having numerous copies I am going to be suckered into buying this. I just can't help myself. :help: It's due on 1st of April here in the UK.

6. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

1/2 speed mastered too. Nice!

7. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Any feedback?

8. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Interesting if only for restored length of the edited tunes, assuming that happens.

telepicker97 likes this.
  9. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see this is now available for shipping….

10. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

We are eager for reviews........:nauga::goodie::nauga:

11. JAG

I have both the reissue vinyl and the new mofi. there is a difference. the mofi has more detail. they are both bright but the mofi has the detail you get from the sacd. I would recommend it

PteroDon likes this.
  12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Don't forget the original vinyl had abridged versions of 4 songs on side one.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

What reissue do you have? The Stan Ricker cut or the more recent reissue from the box set? CB did the latest right? I hear that is the one to beat.

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have the Stan Ricker 1/2 speed master which has the full songs, in addition to the original RL. I haven't listened to either in a while. I recall that I thought that the Ricker, though sounding clean, didn't sound as involving as the original. On the other hand,I have upgraded my front end since then. Perhaps I'll come to a different conclusion.

15. JAG

Sorry...the Stan ricker

16. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I like my reissue cut by BG/CB

17. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I'm wondering if this new 45 rpm version does have the full songs. The Stan Ricker does and he used all four sides. It's great that it has lots of dead wax, which means less inner grooves.

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Digital recording...no go for me

19. JAG

thanks for letting us know, I was wondering if you were go or no go, thanks again for clearing that up and adding to the conversation

20. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

This album will always sound digital. It was recorded with early digital equipment and that's always gonna impart a certain sound associated with the early 80s. Having said that, yes I do think the SACD sounds better than the early vinyl. Maybe this release will bridge the gap

john lennonist likes this.
  21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Perhaps you know all, but some folks might not realize that this is a digital recording, so it actually does add to the conversation, for some anyway...

Drew769, Chemguy, Paully and 3 others like this.
  22. teag

teag Forum Resident

It is relevant in this case. As much as I like the music, the drum seems really digital to me both on the original vinyl and SACD. However, I may go for this because it's MFSL. And when they nail it, they nail it, IMO.

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I do love the MOFI SACD...

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My copy arrived yesterday (1.00 a.m. here) Just played side 1. The sound is both smooth and dynamic with some details I haven't noticed before. No hint of digital on this - if I didn't know would assume it was analogue. In fact when the original came out I was unaware it was digitally recorded and thought it a great sounding record. 80s drum sound is just that whether digital or analog recording. Until I make comparisons with the SR and CB versions I won't be able to declare this the best ever version. Sides 2-4 later today.

bootbox likes this.
  25. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

As has been mentioned, it's a 16/44.1 recording... I'm not sure what can be gained from 45 rpm, or listening to it on vinyl at all. I like the album, and maybe there's some technological point I'm missing, but I just don't see the point of it on these formats unless you're an ultra fan who really wants it on vinyl or SACD for whatever reason.

I'm sure that the 45 will be the one to beat in terms of vinyl, if you had to have it on vinyl. So I'm really curious to read opinions about this issue, and maybe any of the juicy technical details if they get out. But as for me, it'll be (the FLAC rip of) my early West German cd. Which of course still sounds very dated stylistically, and production wise - nothing will ever change that - but still a great sounding release and a very pleasant listen. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.