Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Year's Model - 2021 remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by C6H12O6, Sep 10, 2021.

1. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Thanks for clarifying this. Whether he mastered it in the analog domain or used Greg's mastering, Ryan usually puts out amazing stuff regardless.

2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

But the deadwax could say RKS even if it's a Calbi master, correct? Or is Mr. Smith known for not doing that?
    I agree. And even if it's Calbi's digital mastering, it still sounds great to my ears. :righton:

snkcube likes this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

If RKS cut the vinyl it should have his initials in the deadwax. I believe you are correct, he could cut a Calbi master to vinyl and put RKS in the deadwax. But this is supposed to be a new remaster based on the Elusive Disc description which states 2021 remaster from the original analog tapes.

Will be interesting to see what’s in the deadwax!

4. InStepWithTheStars

"Remaster from the original analog tapes" does not mean "all-analog mastering". It's technically correct, but it could be digital. I think it sounds fine as-is.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Calm down. Wasn’t debating or even addressing that issue.

6. InStepWithTheStars

Sorry, was typing in a rush and hit post without making my thoughts clear enough. What I meant is that, analog or digital, I think the mastering is great, and while I personally don't like digitally-sourced vinyl, I do like well-mastered music, and if this is a digital mastering pressed to wax, it's a good digital mastering pressed to wax. That's what I meant by "fine as-is" – but then my lunch came to the window and I had to get out of peoples' way. :) (I probably should have said "I think it's fine either way", that's a lot less strong.)

teag likes this.
  7. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

That's interesting. I have the Hip-O CD's for everything up through King of America and Blood and Chocolate, and I'd wondered if the Rhinos would be different. Guess not!

The 2021 HD remaster of This Year's Model is great except for the irritating treble boost, which can be tamed with -2 dB @ 4 kHz.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, no problem. I agree with you on digitally sourced vinyl. So you have heard the vinyl reissue? Your information made me think otherwise, but maybe things have changed?

9. InStepWithTheStars

Hmm, really? I'm pretty sensitive to that range, but I think it sounds pretty good. Then again, I am only listening on YouTube because "guaranteed delivery September 14" doesn't actually mean "guaranteed delivery September 14". Once my CD arrives I'll try your recommendation and see if I prefer it. Thanks! :righton:
    I haven't heard the vinyl, no. I'm not really a vinyl guy, and my playback system is beginner-level at best, so I try to avoid making sound quality comments based on LPs.

Knowing UMe, I would assume it's the same digital mastering pressed to wax, but I could be wrong. I'm basing all my comments on the YouTube videos of the 2021 remaster, and will follow up with a CD review once my copy arrives (hopefully within an hour). (EDIT: Nope, tracking has it pushed back to Friday now.)

10. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I'm talking only about the HD download (24/96) available from the usual sites. One would hope that the CD would sound pretty much the same, but who knows.

11. InStepWithTheStars

The odds of it being different for just the CD are minuscule. A few people have commented that the CD sounds good, and the 16/44 tracks on YouTube sound great to me, so I'm guessing it's the same mastering across multiple formats. For the vinyl, we wouldn't know for sure without asking either Ryan Smith or someone at Universal.

12. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I thought we were talking about the Armed Forces deluxe box

13. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I got a notice saying mine has shipped. Hopefully it'll be here in the next few days.:D

14. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Listening to the new 2021 Cd. Have the Rhino and that 2 disc Deluxe. Also have the mofi for Vinyl. Anyway, this cd version is definitely less goosed than the previous ones I’ve heard. Can’t speak to the 1980s earlier CDs but this one sounds better than the two I have above.

15. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

"Listening to the new 2021 Cd. Have the Rhino and that 2 disc Deluxe. Also have the mofi for Vinyl. Anyway, this cd version is definitely less goosed than the previous ones I’ve heard. Can’t speak to the 1980s earlier CDs but this one sounds better than the two I have above".

I've probably had every digital version available in the US, and many imports including the dreadful K2HD series...

I agree this one is the most-crankable, while somewhat detailed version I've heard.

If Universal makes this another entire series...In again. Universal actually does quite a few of the Japanese SHM-SACDs, so here's hoping!

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Can anyone confirm if Mr. Costello’s voice is anywhere on Spanish Model?

17. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

He shows up on some backing vocals.

Electric Sydney and dee like this.
  18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'Armed Forces' was re-issued in two deluxe sets - a regular black vinyl set and another coloured vinyl set. AFAIK, they were only available through the UMC web store. The black vinyl set sells for $199.98 US and the coloured vinyl set for $259.98 US. (I see the listings offer a payment payment if you wish to purchase either.) I was not aware either had ever sold out and required a second pressing, let alone a third. That's news to me. Both appear to be in stock, presently - so, I'm not certain why you were offered to pre-order a third pressing.

I don't believe the 'Armed Forces' re-issue was ever advertised as anniversary commemoratives - although, to me, it has had that feel of a 40th Anniversary re-issue. 'Armed Forces' is EC's best selling album and I suspect the record company suggested the re-release as it is probably the best commercial candidate for an anniversary release of any of his albums (and anniversary re-issues seem to be in vogue the past few years). These sets were only re-issued in vinyl; I attribute that to Costello's predilection for being obstinate and doing the unexpected. (I can imagine him saying, "Okay, I'll agree to a one-off anniversary re-issue ... but only on vinyl, and don't market it as an anniversary re-issue".) I have no idea how many copies of each were pressed. Considering the high prices and EC's limited popularity, unless the sets were pressed in very low quantities, I'd be surprised if they needed additional pressings.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  19. InStepWithTheStars

I would love for more albums to get done in this style. Armed Forces was a deluxe box set and this one was a companion to the Spanish version, so there's not really a precedent of a "series", per se. But it would be great if they got done. I'd love a box set with all the albums remastered this way. We probably wouldn't get Ten Bloody Marys/Taking Liberties or Out Of Our Idiot (based on the fact that "Big Tears" is a random bonus track on This Year's Model, and that the non-album tracks from the Armed Forces box set were all loud and compressed), which is kind of a shame, but it would still be nice. With the exception of This Year's Model, the Rhinos don't sound bad (and they're indispensible due to their content and liner notes), but there's room for improvement in the sonics.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

I'd like to see a few of those Rhino bonus discs released on vinyl! SPIKE for one! Excellent songs, 'pitch perfect' performances, good enough recordings, on disc 2. Not a fan of some of the clutter, effects-ridden mess it became as an album - the pure sound of some of it -other than a handful of tracks. IB disc two is also a personal favorite! As well as some of the other bonus material that I'm fond of.

An alternate album experience.

More remastered albums plus a bonus disc of as many tracks for a 2LP set would be especially welcome for some of the material released on Rhino. I am glad I have the Universal? 2 cd sets of the 1st 2 albums also, as well as the Rhino sets, and the AF Supe.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Back on topic with the 2 extra tracks included and me only having and hearing 2 other vinyl releases of it - albeit 1 I like -TYM2021 is a very tempting purchase!

22. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I appreciate that thanks.

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

They were initially available only through Universal's sites, but the black vinyl was given a general release after a few months, which is why you can find it now at Amazon and Walmart and Bullmoose and Rough Trade and so on.

Jack White likes this.
  24. srsch

srsch Senior Member

I would like to add that if you want to listen to Big Tears in it's ultimate glory, play the Radar b-side of the Pump It Up 7 inch. Bruce's bass is lower than low without being bloated. It's one of the best sounding singles in my collection.

theholygoof and Michael Macrone like this.
  25. teag

teag Forum Resident

My original 1978 LP has Radio Radio on it. Last song on side 2. Not sure why they are calling it an “extra track”.

Lance LaSalle likes this.