Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Am watching some YouTube 8mm video from Elvis in the 70’s.
    Very interesting, never seeing this kinda bootleg footage before how informal it was during the shows!
    Very human but new to me as I’m used to seeing the “produced” Elvis product.
    Interesting how the machine marketed him to America but the reality is so much more human.
    Amazing………
    BeaVe

Shawn, artfromtex, Jason W and 2 others like this.
  2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Speaking of the rehearsals, FTD should reissue the rehearsal audio from the TTWII book project. Perhaps not all 8 discs, but at least the 7/15 or 7/24 rehearsal in its entirety. Historically, FTD has on occasion subsequently issued book project audio as standalone releases (e.g. Rockin' Across Texas, Live In LA, The Way It Was). I understand keeping the audio exclusive for a period of time, but fans shouldn't be deprived of music simply because they did not spend a small fortune on a highly limited book project.

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Even just reissuing the Elvis On Tour: The Rehearsals disc would be a good start.

Shawn and RSteven like this.
  4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Did anyone read the How RCA Brought Elvis to Europe book? I'm curious about the blurb in the press release: "And did Elvis really pose a threat to communist Eastern Europe when he served as a US Soldier in West Germany?" Is there a Cold War angle to his story?

5. PacificOceanBlue

If the Sony Legacy TTWII box set is any indication, don't be surprised if Elvis On Tour: The Rehearsals is recycled as part of the Sony Legacy box set, with the complete rehearsals attached to the forthcoming highly-priced book project.

Shawn, croquetlawns and artfromtex like this.
  6. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

So I got 'The Pot Luck Sessions' for Christmas and ripped/loaded it onto my iPod ('cuz I'm old fashioned etc.) and well, the masters went down a treat, great sound, great remastering... but after six solid takes of 'Kiss Me Quick' I was on the point of a nervous breakdown or something. I deployed the shuffle button and I enjoyed it much, much more. I've not had this feeling previously with these sets and usually enjoyed the 'work in progress' type listening. Maybe I was wrong all along, maybe I'm not hardcore after all?
    Oh well, no rest for the wicked, I'm off to play 'Elvis Back In Nashville'. See you on that thread in a little while... :)

7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Some journeys are more rewarding than others. Try listening to all the takes of "His Latest Flame". It's a great ride.

When In Rome and RSteven like this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The 20+ takes of “King of the Whole Wide World” are pretty interesting, in my opinion, if only to hear Boots Randolph’s solo each time. But I find jazz and 50s/early 60s rock sessions where the entire band was playing live inherently more interesting than post-Sgt. Pepper sessions built up from overdubs.

Hep Alien, CBackley, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  9. artfromtex

Absolutely.

I love that Elvis kept this style of recording until the end.

Hep Alien, Spencer R, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  10. Bring on takes 1-37 of ‘Do Not Disturb’! I kid, but in all honesty I bet it would be an entertaining listen.

11. PacificOceanBlue

Maybe one time.

artfromtex, croquetlawns and RSteven like this.
  12. artfromtex

The Pot Luck Sessions is on par with From Elvis In Nashville as one of the most enjoyable Elvis releases, for me personally, in quite some time.

The album tracks and all these related singles make for fantastic listening. The mastering is again superb. Additionally, the photos they chose really make this set stand above the other sessions sets. It's a handsome package

13. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

The next FTD release will be a 3-CD-set covering "Aloha from Hawaii" (to be released in February).

When seeking key career highpoints, Elvis’ multi-faceted musical legacy certainly divides opinion amongst fans and critics alike. However, if one goes by the sales and the audience viewing numbers too, there is only one answer. Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite.

RCA’s double album of the show was released throughout the world in February
    and shot to the #1 spot in many countries including the U.S. The album went to #1 on the Billboard album chart and reigned supreme from late February until late October, re-entering in late December for another two months. Today in the U.S. the album stands at 5.5 million sales and is certified 5x Platinum by the RIAA.

To acknowledge this achievement, FTD is proud to present an upgraded re-release of Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite utilizing the talents of successful Memphian recording engineer Matt-Ross Spang who has newly remixed the original broadcasted show and the after-concert 3:00 AM crowd-less masters including rehearsal performances for the first time. Also included is the Sony Legacy 2013 remix of the rehearsal show form January 12.

Packaged in our ‘sessions’ style 8” x 8” slipcase, this deluxe 3-CD contains a 28-page color booklet, great photos, memorabilia and insightful essay.

Disc 1
    1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey) 1:09
    2. See See Rider 3:00
    3. Burning Love 3:11
    4. Something 3:32
    5. You Gave Me A Mountain 3:18
    6. Steamroller Blues 3:12
    7. My Way 4:20
    8. Love Me 1:36
    9. Johnny B. Goode 1:43
    10. It’s Over 2:09
    11. Blue Suede Shoes 1:23
    12. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry 2:10
    13. I Can’t Stop Loving You 2:27
    14. Hound Dog 1:06
    15. What Now My Love 3:16
    16. Fever 2:48
    17. Welcome To My World 1:54
    18. Suspicious Minds 4:31
    19. Introductions by Elvis 2:41
    20. I’ll Remember You 2:32
    21. Medley 2:04
    Long Tall Sally 1:02
    Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On 1:02
    22. An American Trilogy 4:42
    23. A Big Hunk O’ Love 2:22
    24. Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:42
    25. Closing Vamp 2:23

Recorded live at the Honolulu International Center Arena, January 14, 1973.

Disc 2
    1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme From 2001: A Space Odyssey) 1:08
    2. See See Rider 3:01
    3. Burning Love 3:03
    4. Something 2:25
    5. You Gave Me A Mountain 3:18
    6. Steamroller Blues 3:15
    7. My Way 4:13
    8. Love Me 1:43
    9. It’s Over 2:12
    10. Blue Suede Shoes 1:23
    11. I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry 2:08
    12. Hound Dog 0:59
    13. What Now My Love 3:18
    14. Fever 2:35
    15. Welcome To My World 1:58
    16. Suspicious Minds 4:00
    17. Introductions by Elvis 2:24
    18. I’ll Remember You 2:37
    19. An American Trilogy 4:26
    20. A Big Hunk O’ Love 2:44
    21. Can’t Help Falling In Love 1:41
    22. Closing Vamp 1:56

Recorded live at the Honolulu International Center Arena, January 12, 1973.

Disc 3 BONUS SONGS

1. Blue Hawaii – rehearsal, takes 1-2 5:31
    2. Ku-U-I-Po – rehearsal 2:32
    3. Ku-U-I-Po – take 1 2:02
    4. Ku-U-I-Po – take 2 (incomplete) 2:12
    5. Ku-U-I-Po – take 3 (incomplete) 2:02
    6. Ku-U-I-Po – take 4 2:24
    7. No More – take 1 (incomplete) 3:10
    8. No More – take 2 (rehearsal) 5:06
    9. No More – take 3 2:40
    10. No More – take 4 3:04
    11. Hawaiian Wedding Song – take 1 2:03
    12. Hawaiian Wedding Song – rehearsal 4:01
    13. Hawaiian Wedding Song – take 2 2:03
    14. Hawaiian Wedding Song – take 3 2:06
    15. Early Morning Rain – take 1 4:16
    16. Early Morning Rain – take 2 3:10

Recorded live without an audience at the Honolulu International Center Arena, January 14, 1973.

Source:
    Elvis Day By Day: January 12 - Aloha From FTD (elv75.blogspot.com)

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wanted 7×7, not 8×8 dammit! :D

Do I add this to my classic albums collection? It's been a hole for many a year.

15. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I'll second that. This and MSG will now probably never make it to 7". That said, the slipcase cover is a massive improvement on the awful original.

artfromtex and Daniel Plainview like this.
  16. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Humph! I wanted 12 x 12 but whatevs... :D

RSteven and Daniel Plainview like this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm happy with my 5x5 Legacy Edition.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  18. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

This could be a great release!

PacificOceanBlue and RSteven like this.
  19. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

Now this I will be buying!

20. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I'm looking forward to the new mix of the main show, but I hope that Matt Ross-Spang has stayed away from the particular reverb that he applied to Elvis' vocals on the 1969 shows. It sounded like vintage studio reverb. I don't mind this on studio recordings (I liked his mixes of the Jungle Room material), but to my ears, this kind of reverb sounds out of place on live recordings.

21. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

I wonder if the heavy reverb was done to reflect how Elvis used to like it back in the day.

PacificOceanBlue and Sebastian like this.
  22. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

This all but confirms there won't be a companion set to '68 Comeback from Sony next year, where of course the missing content is the video (which I presume could all fit on a single Blu Ray). And since Stax already got the treatment in 2013 this makes me wonder if 2022 is Ernst's swansong on Elvis Presley releases, at least for Sony, after Elvis On Tour is covered.

23. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I don't know. This kind of reverb is not noticable on any of the live recordings released in Elvis' lifetime. There's only slight reverb. Perhaps Matt Ross-Spang just likes the echo chambers that are still in use at Sam Phillips Recording a bit too much.

RSteven and hodgo like this.
  24. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

The fact that this release is not coming in 2023 for the 50th anniversary is indeed somewhat surprising. One could think that Ernst is in a hurry. Perhaps he really is retiring. After all, he has already passed his 70th birthday.

25. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I like the idea of this Aloha from Hawaii release, but I just tend not to enjoy the 1970s material very much. I think it's because the songs, to me, seem to come over as routine rather as interpretive. I'll have to watch the DVD again, though, and see if it inspires deeper exploration.