SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It can a bit, Yes.

noirbar likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

And that dumpy, dreadful added Radio Recorders echo chamber, only added on their stereo reductions. The monos are free of it.

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Steve

I have been meaning to ask for awhile, but was wondering, since you Remastered The Cars Self Titled Debut on CD for DCC, was there any possibility around that time that you were asked to also Remaster ‘Candy-O’ which I like equally to their Debut Album, and also ‘Panorama’ and ‘Shake It Up’?

I know you Remastered ‘Heartbeat City’ for AF, so the same question would be if those other 3 Cars Albums were ever considered for your Remastering any of them for the AF Label?

sunspot42 likes this.
  4. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Thanks for the info!

5. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Hi Steve, I believe you have mentioned in the past that you have gotten the opportunity to do some work at Sunset Sound Recorders. Any interesting stories you can share regarding your experiences there? Thanks!

6. Steve Hoffman

Beautiful women, lots of good food, good vibes. A great place to hang out..

7. Steve Hoffman

The Cars were not giant sellers in the Audiophile world. Love that band! The original LP's sound much better than the old CD's do, that's for sure.

8. Steve Hoffman

Barbara bump! Loved her.

9. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Would you ever want to do a"Golden Age Of Underground Radio" (Vol 3,4,ect...) if given the opportunity again or was that one can of worms cleaning up the Airchecks(DJ dialogue,commercials,song IDs,ect) to use? I cannot emphasize how awesome Vol 1 & 2 are. Priceless journey into my youthful past:agree:

10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Steve, do you have something up your sleeve? ;)

11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've been listening since the inception, and for me, they have stood the test of time. In fact, I appreciate them a bit more now than when I was a lot younger.

12. Steve Hoffman

It's the licensing of the songs that's the hard part. Fun to work on though.

hodgo and Natvecal. like this.
  13. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

In 2007 you and Kevin Gray did a 45 rpm reissue of the Art Tatum and Ben Webster Quartet. With Red Calender and Bill Douglas.
    Can you say something about this one?
    Like why you went for the stereo and not the mono?
    What was it like working on something like this? I'm assuming there were two different mixes, one stereo and one mono.
    And the sound?

I love the record, have had a german pressing for years. Which is Ok. I played it last week and decided I really needed to upgrade - acquired the 1987 Fantasy records reissue and the 1975 KENDUN reissue.
    Became aware today that you did it for the Analogue Productions Jazz classics run. At 45 rpm. So it is now on the way. Yes, it's gotten expensive.

14. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

What’s your opinion about the 70s German Beatles LPs from the Blue Box, Mr. Hoffman?

mBen989 likes this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Why do you think the 45 issue is stereo? It is mono.

16. James_S888

It says mono on the Discogs entry.
    It's why I'm wondering, it's a 1956 recording. How can this be stereo?

17. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The note on discogs is most likely a mistake. As far as I know, Granz has not started stereo recording for combo sessions in 1956. There was a fake stereo vinyl of the item from Verve in the 1960s. And some US vinyl of the Pablo issue also may have used fake stereo tape claiming 'Stereo' on the record label.

Dayfold likes this.
  19. James_S888

Well, I have the German issue, the 1987 Fantasy reissue, the 1975 Pablo US on the way and the 45 on the way. When I get them all cleaned I'll play them, do a comparison and let you know :)

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Which CD of Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love do you prefer, the original CD or the Legacy remaster from 2000?

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Ill take this one.

It's probably the same situation as the UK box, an assortment of stock records gathered together.

DK Pete and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  22. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply:)

DK Pete and mBen989 like this.
  23. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Was the 45 stereo or mono?

24. Which to me is weird.

25. Steve Hoffman

The mastering engineer added a bunch of 5k EQ to the CD versions. They did not need it, made them sound hard and mean. The old LP's sound so much better. A shame really.

stevef, JeffreyB, azideam and 7 others like this.