Keith Jarrett Sun Bear Concerts - Piano Solo Limited Edition Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaK, Jan 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaK

DaK Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Keith Jarrett - Sun Bear Concerts

DaK likes this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

BTW, the recording engineer passed away in 2018.

DaK likes this.
  4. DaK

Thank you! But it seems like a new release, or are you suggesting that it's definitely a repress of the 2019 reissue?

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I don’t understand Germany description of jpc, and I speculated that it’s the repress of the Zeit edition w/o the sticker and the booklet.

6. DaK

Yes, that was my first guess at well. The description on jpc is more about the recording in general, the only relevant nformation there is that it's a facsimile reproduction of the original 1978 release.

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It is strange that the site of ECM doesn’t show the vinyl edition on sale.
    ECM Records

DaK likes this.
  8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Although Sun Bear Concerts sound great as they are, they would be even better if they will be remixed discarding the ambient tracks on the master tapes.

9. DaK

Ok so these are the information I found:
    • Limited and numbered Facsimile Edition of the original 10-LP Box Set
    • AAA vinyl production from the original master tapes
    • Authentic facsimile of the original 1978 first print-run edition
    • Hand manufactured packaging using exclusively made paper from a historic German paper mill
    • Including reprint of the 16 page original booklet
    • Vinyl labels with classic silver on green Logo and print
    • Individually numbered boxes
    • Limited to 2000 copies

zphage likes this.
  10. DaK

They also do not provide further information after contacting them by mail. Before buying a set for 240 Euro I would like to know who mastered/cut it and where it was pressed....

11. DaK

Sadly, it has been impossible to receive any further information before the release. Not sure how limited 2000 is in terms of this release...so I preordered it anyway.

12. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I had the original 10LP set. The shrink wrap had come unsealed in the bin and our store decided to return it. I asked if I could take it home and record it before we sent it back and I was told yes. Then, a week or two later I was transferred to another store and nobody seemed to care.
    Eventually, I had to pare down my collection when we moved and sold it. At least I still have the cassettes.
    There’s a lot to take in, but there are pure moments of brilliance in this set!

oldjollymon likes this.
  13. Trane

Trane Forum Resident

I picked mine up last Friday. For once earlier then expected and I was really exited and eager to spend this winter weekend listening to those five nights in Japan.
    The box, or the portfolio, is outstanding. Just perfect and just sooo ECM. The labels are the old green with silver grey seventies ECM logo.
    The sound is great. Except when it isn't. Because too often the deep contemplation the music is supposed to transport you to is disturbed by not only a few occasional tick or pops, which I could live with, but also quite a few of what sounds like scratches, a second or so like when the old FM station were falling out. (Is that what's called "no fill"?)

All the trouble they went trough to get the box and the labels right really doesn't matter, do they, if the the pressing just isn't good enough.
    I was looking forward to this one and I really wanted it to be great, but mine is going back tomorrow.

zphage and DaK like this.
  14. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Oh that is disheartening, for a limited pressing you'd think they'd make extra effort to assure there are no duds.

Has anyone heard anything about his post-stroke(s) recovery? I understand he said he is unable to perform, I just hope he isn't miserable.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

quicksrt and sjaca like this.
  16. DaK

Thank you for your impressions! Sad to hear that they might have messed up. Are you sure that it’s the new release and not an old stock of the previous limited release? Could you please provide runout information before returning it?

17. DaK

Keith Jarrett Confronts a Future Without the Piano

18. Trane

Trane Forum Resident

The previous 2019 release was limited to only 350 copies while this new release is "limited" to 2000 copies so it seems unlikely to have so many leftovers.
    Unfortunately I didn't get to note the runout info before returning it today. Probably should have....

Luckily my local store is just the greatest. No problem returning it. We agreed it no real point in getting a replacement since 4 of the 5 records i listened to had the same issue. It's probably an issue with the whole batch, more or less. Like when I tried to buy a new copy The Köln Concert. I had 3 different copies with the same tumb marks at the same place over the first track so I gave up and bought an old clean copy of the original 1975 german pressing for half the price....and it plays a lot better. I will probably end up doing the same thing with the Sun Bears just as well.

19. DaK

I was just wondering why you received a copy two weeks before official release date. What you describe for the reissue of Sun Bear Concerts on vinyl sounds a lot like they were pressed at Optimal. These distortions that sound like scratches I experienced a lot with Optimal pressings lately. I hope the records were cut by Daniel Krieger @ SST Brüggemann GmbH like "The Köln Concert" usually his cuts sound great and maybe my copy arrives without issues. If not I will buy a OP. Weirdly prices fluctuate a lot, like some sell this record for barely nothing.

20. Trane

Trane Forum Resident

I think the reason I got it earlier was simply that the distributor need to send it in advance of the official release date and the stores both need to free the space and they are very conscious about the cashflow. At the same time it is not really secret material, like a release of a new recording, so why sit on it for two weeks ?

21. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

Well, I’ve ordered it anyway. Nothing’s perfect in this world, and unless the whole thing is unplayable I’ll probably keep it simply as an object of rarity and beauty (and to avoid the hassle of sending it back). I’ve had the CD edition for nearly thirty years and simply love the performances.

Martin Lapierre and Trane like this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Where are you all ordering this from?

23. DaK

So far there are no US retailers I think.

24. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

Amazon UK for me.

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Keith solo I tend to prefer digital for precisely these reasons. I suspect that is part of the reason its been years since anything new he has done has come out on vinyl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.