Live at Leeds "My Generation": Was this typical?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member Thread Starter

Just listening to Live at Leeds and wondering about the "My Generation" jam with all the bits and pieces, some from Tommy and some they apparently improvised. Anyone know if the Who in this era did something like this at every show, and did it change much from night to night? For that matter, I always wondered why they did the Tommy bits when they'd already played the whole thing. Anyonw knows, please enlighten me....

2. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Yes, every show. The MG medley from the Hull '70 show is quite similar to Leeds.

drivingfrog and bRETT like this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Right down to the "so very long"... bit.

bRETT likes this.
  4. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Wow ... I was just wondering the same thing about the Leeds My Generation ... cool ...

5. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Yes! Starting in '68 all the way to Keith's last show in Toronto in '76. A lot of times Pete would just start a riff and the thunder and tornado would follow him. Great stuff. Naked Eye developed from these jams. They later added other songs like Road Runner, Join Together, and My Generation Blues to the mix.

sennj and bRETT like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I remember the old cassette version listed Naked Eye as a track on the album.

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

My Generation at Woodstock.

8. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

This doesn't address your question, exactly, but it reminds me of something. I saw The Who play live at the L.A. Forum during the 1973 Quadrophenia tour. At the show they played "My Generation" twice! Both were long medleys - the first was quite a bit like the LaL version, the second one was quite different, and a bit shorter. It seemed to me that they were introducing a new MG medley, intending to retire the old one.

9. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Doesn't the original Leeds 'My Generation' have over dubbed backwards guitar dubbed on to it?

10. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Magic Bus, not My Generation.

11. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The Live At Hull version is quite different near the end. It seems they had certain que's worked out and room for variation/improvisation.

12. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

As mentioned in the Hull thread, My Generation is probably the one track that is very noticably better than Live At Leads; more energetic (in contrast to the most of Hull which is a less 'electric' atmosphere than Leeds).

13. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

They also seem to be heading towards "I Can See For Miles" nearing the end of the MG jam on Hull, but it never quite gets there (frustratingly).

14. lonomon

lonomon Forum Resident

Townshend talks about the 'My Generation' "jams" in his book. so it was pretty typical

15. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Does anyone find it puzzling that they would choose "My Generation" as the basis for an extended jam? MG always seemed like the ultimate hit-it-and-quit punk song, but they turned it into a 15 minute jam. Always seemed odd to me, but I guess Pete was trying to challenge expectations at the time.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Pete used to say the jam was a summing up of their history upto that point.
    Another excellent jam is also contained in the Amsterdam '69 show with things like The Ox thrown in.

17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks for the info...

18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The song has two chords and works well as a vehicle for improvisation, plus it's sort of their signature song so ending the show with it and stretching it out makes some sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.