McCartney, Wings & "WILD LIFE" POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Remember:
    This is your brain when listening to Bip Bop:

[​IMG]

;)

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Didn't realize Arnie had so many puppet accounts! :biglaugh:

3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

It'd be more appropriate to request it from Peter Gabriel! :wiggle:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  4. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Mumbo, Wild Life and Some People Never Know.
    Would have voted for Bip Bop Link too!

5. One of Paul's Top Three Albums. !!!!!!!

gramfan, somnar, Wingsfan2012 and 3 others like this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Love this album. Definitely one of Paulies early best. Raw, emotional and having fun. I'm going to spin this vinyl again tonight or play the SHM-CD. Maybe give Pepper 2017 vinyl another spin, drive the neighbors nuts. :winkgrin:

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

For the last twenty years or so it's become one of my two or three favorite solo albums by Paul.
    When it was first released I liked most of it, but now I like all of it except I've never warmed to the song "Wildlife."

And..it sounds great also.

8. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Mediocre is how I would sum up Wildlife. However, as a hardcore Macca fan, I greatly enjoy this album (except for the overlong title track). It's really nice sounding and as someone mentioned earlier, it has a certain homely charm, which it shares with the other pre-Band on the Run Macca albums. :agree:

However, I imagine that 99% of non-Macca fans would dismiss it as a very poor effort.

As I've mentioned in previous Wildlife-related threads, I struggle to see how he could not only actually release it back in 1971, but also hold a release party to promote it. Did he really see it as the appropriate response to the critical backlash afforded to Ram? Did he actually believe it was a good album? :confused:

9. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I picked six...

Mumbo
    Bip Bop
    Love Is Strange
    Wild Life
    Some People Never Know
    Tomorrow

I never got into Love Is Strange and as for Dear Friend, it plods on for too long that I ended up disliking it a little bit more over the years... as for the rest of this album, it's very good and I'm surprised to how I realized how much I like it. It's barely cracking my top 10.

10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I voted for my top 3 songs:
    1. Tomorrow-one of Paul's best lesser known album tracks.
    2. Some People Never Know-goes on a bit long, but would have been a great 3 minute song
    3. Mumbo-this is a fun nonsense song that rocks

I did not vote for these, which I would rate in this order:
    4. Dear Friend-goes on a bit long, would be better at 3 minutes or so
    5. I Am Your Singer-a pleasant song
    6. Love Is Strange-a very strange cover
    7. Wild Life-continuing a common theme, this mediocre song goes on way too long.
    8. Bip Bop-a repetitive, annoying nonsense song that goes on way too long-would be tolerable at about 45 seconds.

11. Brian Kelly

Agree

It is now up to 50-that is still about 50 too many.

12. Arnold Grove

Just so you know: You should not expect to receive a season's greeting card from me at the end of the year... ;)

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Bip Bop is so cool!:cool:

14. Arnold Grove

You're that desperate for a greeting card? ;)

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hahahahahaha!! Preferably with a Gift Card of $100:00 or more. :righton:

905 likes this.
  16. 905

905 Senior Member

I've said this before on this forum, but a McCartney scholar once told me that this is a concept album of a band starting out. First you have primitive songs then the cover songs then the fully realized self-composed songs.
    After that I realize just how good this album is.

I consider it top shelf McCartney.

17. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

+1

905 and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  18. In this order...
    ~ "Some People Never Know"
    ~"Tomorrow"
    ~"Dear Friend"
    ~"Mumbo"

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Interesting lesson.

linclink and Paulwalrus like this.
  20. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Like Red Rose Speedway, this is an album that has grown on me over the years. I love the raw energy of "Mumbo" and feel that "Some People Never Know", "Tomorrow", and "Dear Friend" are all top tier McCartney. I also like "Bip Bop Link" but that isn't listed.

21. Brian Kelly

If "cool" is a synonym for boring, monotonous, poorly sung, lyrically challenged, and tedious then I would agree.

This song should have been a snippet like "Wild Honey Pie" (or the pleasant "Bip Bop Link" for that matter). A four minutes plus and as one of just 8 songs on the album, it shows a laziness on the part of McCartney that makes WILD LIFE more like an double EP than an album.

gja586 and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Could be laziness or just Paul having fun.
    Paul was still unwinding from 8 years of beatle madness. I just feel he wasn't worried about making a perfect song both musically or lyrically. Having to be free of beatle perfection I do feel the first 3 solo Paul albums was Paul being lazy and not caring about making another Penny Lane. In truth on those first 3 albums McCartney to Wild Life Paul had some amazing tunes. IMHO

Paulwalrus and gja586 like this.
  23. Brian Kelly

Don't disagree that he had some good tunes on those first three albums (plus the "Another Day"/"Oh Woman Oh Why" single). There are at least a dozen "Beatles worthy" tracks from 70-71.

MCCARTNEY is good for what it was intended to be. A few half finished instrumentals, but still enough good songs to make it an OK album.

RAM is a great album.Love the variety. At least half a dozen excellent songs as well. Only weak song is "Three Legs", but having one poor song on a 12 song album is much more tolerable than 1 of 8 like on WILD LIFE.

"Tomorrow" is a classic. "Some People Never Know" and "Dear Friend" are good. "Mumbo" is fun. If WILD LIFE had been McCartney's solo debut or had been sold at a discount price I could get behind it more. Coming after RAM, it comes off too much like laziness and a lack of respect to his fans.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

That is true and I agree from Ram to Wild Life agreed it is a come down. Even though I like Wild Life. Ram is just phenomenally amazing, even 46 years later.

Brian Kelly likes this.
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I think Dear Friend is one of the absolute best songs McCartney's ever written!

You can hear the emotion and sincerity in his singing, just brilliant!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.