Muzishare X7 - an affordable hand-wired KT88 integrated made at the Line Magnetic factory

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Dec 10, 2020.

1. U-Raptor

U-Raptor Forum Resident

Just received mine yesterday via amazon after reading this forum + a couple reviews on youtube. Extremely happy with it! Even came about 5 days early. Currently running my pro-ject debut carbon directly to the phono, along with an NAD cd player. Love the sound, although I am still figuring out whether I like triode or UL better.

However, I am completely new to tube amps and did have one question. It seems to me most people here recommend rolling to the gold lion KT88s. Should I decide to go down that road, would biasing for those tubes work the same as the stock tubes (aka aim for the 40 on the VU meter)?

Andy Saunders likes this.
  2. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

Take your time. Let it burn in for a while. Enjoy it as it is. When you feel the need for a change do it. Don’t rush on an unnecessary upgrade. Maybe a new cartridge might be a better bang for your money.

U-Raptor likes this.
  3. Ruckus

Ruckus Well-Known Member

Received my x7 3/6/21. Works fine and looks fine too. Like the new sound over Yamaha receiver. Tonal differences àre positive and soundtage already opening up. My Heresey ones seem to like the amp too. But it's not burned in yet. Only thing unusual is the VU meters aren't totally perfect. Left one is a little off and they are not exactly same location when off. Does that suggest bias is okk???
    Also trying to figure best path to use x7 for music but speakers also to be used with Yammie for movies. Would that be a speaker switch? There was also some online chatter about dangers of using both tubed and ss amps like that. Any suggestions welcome. Have a Yamaha sub would like to add but not with the pass through. Thank you!

4. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

After reading this thread, and other similar threads and reviews; I went ahead and ordered a MUZISHARE X7 for myself from hifi-exquis.com. They had a much better price from their own website vs. what they listed on AliExpress. I had a couple of questions about the order and within an hr I received a response.
    $1250 shipped was just too good of a price to pass up. I look forward to receiving this amp and hearing the comparisons between it and my ss receiver.

5. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Well, maybe I spoke too quickly about this company. I received and email telling me that I would need to send them and additional $82 for shipping charges citing multiple reasons, none of them really made much sense but I know that using a blanket charge for shipping can cost more than anticipated. Still, they should have let me know before the purchase price that it would cost more for shipping.
    So I sent them a counter offer. I'll let you know how this turns out.

timind and husky like this.
  6. U-Raptor

U-Raptor Forum Resident

I currently use a speaker/amp switch that works fine, for similar reasons. Have a denon for TV, and the muzishare for music.. I just make sure the muzishare is completely off before i ever press the button. I don't notice any difference in tone/sound, and have no trouble.

This is the one I use: TC-7220 2-Way Amp Amplifier / Speaker Selector Switch Switcher Splitter Combiner 630158285822 | eBay

7. Ruckus

Ruckus Well-Known Member

Thanks U-Raptor for the info. Hooked up dvd player to the x7. Even cds sound amazing. My son commented how even they sounded better. People refer to tube amps as valve amps....more like music pumps. The amp is starting to open up the Soundstage and it's delicious. The Muzishare x7 is a very good amp for Klipsch Heresey ones. The bass is stronger than ever but as always the recording determines that. I am happy with my purchase and lamenting I didn't go for tube amps years ago.

jesterthejedi and U-Raptor like this.
  8. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I received my X7 today, and have been listening to it for about an hr. I’ve been running it in the triad mode and it’s powering my RTR HPR-12M speakers with little effort with the volume set between 10-11:00. It’s way to early for me to make any comments on the sound…honestly I was just glad to see it arrive safe and sound. I have tried the ul mode, and it’s a little harsh sounding, but I’m sure that will change after the proper break-in period. But I can say that vocals sound more lifelike…full bodied but not at all muddy. I was a little surprised that they didn’t include a cheap set of batteries for the remote. Overall I’m glad I went ahead and purchased this amp.

Seafinch and U-Raptor like this.
  9. Vinylistener

Vinylistener Well-Known Member

Does it include bias adjustment tool in package? I heard it has to be adjusted with isolated screwdriver.

10. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

No, it’s just a small screw so any straight screwdriver that fits will work. It took all of 5 minutes to adjust.

Vinylistener likes this.
  11. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

Well, I’m starting to understand why so many people prefer the sound of a tube amp over a ss. It produces such a lush sound with a balanced soundstage. You can really hear the different layers of music as it fills the room. If it sounds this good after only 15 hrs, then I can’t wait to hear how much it will improve over time. I’ve ordered a Gold Lion 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier to see how that affects the sound.

12. Vinylistener

Nice! I still can't decide on either this amp or Yamaha as1100 which is on sale now for around 1.9k. From reviews , as1100 is said to also sound much like tubes.

PooreBoy likes this.
  13. glrydays

glrydays Active Member

Just an update from another owner - I ordered some PS Vane KT-88 TII - second hand - (Already Upgraded the 12ax7 to a vintage Mullard and the 12au7's to G.E.. Clear tops and rectifier to "Tube store" brand. Will report back

Vinylistener likes this.
  14. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Great thread, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I am about to pull the trigger on the X7 but recently stumbled upon the new Black Ice F22 (formerly Jolida, a Foz designed amp) and am torn.

The F22 is an EL34-based amp at 50w or can use 6550 tubes for 60w. It has subwoofer and record outs but does not have the pre-amp in or triode/UL modes switching that the X7 has. They are basically the same price new. The X7 has a terrific retro look where the F22 has a slightly more modern aesthetic and a front touch panel. The F22 also lacks the super cool VU meters of the X7.

I am wondering if anyone had looked at the F22, or if you are mostly using your X7s in UL or Triode mode most of the time.

Thanks!!

-Chris

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

The harshness you mentioned can be fixed by upgrading the 12ax7 and 12au7s. I had the exact same concern.

16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Now that I'm on a computer and not my phone, I can answer at greater length.

My initial impression of the X7 the first time I fired it up was "hmm, it sounds brighter/harsher than anticipated." By the time I reached the burn-in end-point (I think 50 hours is what was specified), it was sounding a lot better, but there was still a certain degree of thinness/harshness.

I went to my tube stash and found a lovely 1958 RCA long black plate 12AX7, and swapped it in. Presto, the sound smoothed out tremendously. I then bought a pair of RCA clear top 12AU7's, and those yielded further improvements. (I also got good results from GE 12AU7's.)

I could have stopped there, but went all the way and replaced the Sovtek rectifier and the KT88's with Gold Lions, all of which were beneficial upgrades but to a lesser degree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I do not like the poor 12AU7 used as phase splitters in this amp. If I owned it, I would use 12AU7 to 6SN7 socket converters an use Sylvania 6SN7GTA. Admittedly, phase splitters are less sensitive vs preamps. Why amp manufactures use the known poor linearity 12Au7 tubes is beyond me. One poor tube can ruin an amps performance.

18. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I would say your money would be better spent upgrading your digital source. The NAD is a budget player.

19. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I basically went the same route as you. I got a pair of ‘59 RCA foil getter 12AU7's…and for the 12ax7 I went with a 1960 Baldwin branded Sylvania. I also went with a Gold Lion rectifier. This pretty much did the trick.

action pact likes this.
  20. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I did look at the F22 when I was shopping around, and the Muzishare just stood out; in terms of build quality (point to point wiring…no circuit boards), plus it was quite a bit cheaper in price compared to the F22.
    I have zero regrets thus far.
    And I tend to run mine in UL mode most of the time…but occasionally I do run mine in Triode mode when I want a more mellow or laid back sound. I like having that option.

action pact and h1pst3r88 like this.
  21. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Thanks, PooreBoy. Now that the X7's price has increased to about $1500 on Amazon the amazing deal some folks got back in the $1200 days seems to have normalized. I can get the F22 for the same price. Very torn about which way to go... but I am leaning toward the X7.

22. Nicode70

Nicode70 Overspending completist

can't speake about the sound of the F22. but the muzishare looks way cooler. I can't understand the concept of touch buttons on a tube amp ment to play analogue signal. it seems a little bit out of place.
    I'd say go for the X7. i had a great price on Aliexpress.
    And thoses UV metters, That shade of blue... it's a think of beauty. Have you even seen the remote for the x7? machined out of a single piece of aluminium.

PooreBoy and h1pst3r88 like this.
  23. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

You can still get the Muzishare X7 for around $1250 shipped from HiFi Exquis . That’s were I purchased mine. That’s a price that’s hard to beat.

24. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Didn't you have to also pay the $82 in shipping, or something like that. Agreed, great price!

I am leaning toward the Black Ice F22, but admittedly, I quite love the X7's aesthetic with VU meters along with a pre-in, and UL/Tr mode. However, the balanced design of the Fosgate circuit on the F22 in addition to the recording and sub-woofer outs ... along with the El34/6550 compatibility is tough to ignore.

FWIW, the other consideration is my speakers -- a pair of 4Ohm, 88db sensitivity Polk Lsi15 speakers. I am feeling like I need to be leaning on the little extra power of the 6550 tubes (60 watts) in the F22 to make sure I have oomph to push the speakers (which are quite wonderful)

I don't think there's a bad decision between the two.

25. Vinylistener

Good price. People spend more on latest iphone, which only has few years till it's obsolete via no further software support. Amps are forever(with good care -)

HiFi Guy, PooreBoy and Nicode70 like this.