SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "The Very Thought Of You" -New multi-channel SACD question for Steve H.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Loud Listener, Jun 20, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It's surprising to me that anybody would think that they'd get 16 meandering (that's meant as a compliment), leisurely Gordon Jenkins arrangements on a single LP, even in mono. A lot of Capitol LPs were 15/16 songs in 1955/1956, but by 1957, not so much, and even at just the more-standard 12-song length, this would have run, what....38 minutes or something?

It's great music-making, regardless, and getting 14 or even 16 songs is just "more the merrier!"

That last part that I bolded from your post: I think that Sinatra's Only the Lonely album suffered from the same "recorded at full-on dynamic range (with zero gain-riding, compression, etc.)" problem (so to speak). Years ago, CD liner notes propagated a story that Capitol used some experimental 3M half-inch formulation on that album, but I've never quite been able to swallow that. I mean......why experiment with a new (and apparently poorly matched) tape formulation on a SINATRA (or Cole) project? Joni James, maybe, but Sinatra? That seems suspect, IMO.

One more Cole comment: The first time I heard those bonus tracks was on the Capitol CD from, IIRC, 1987, and I remember thinking at the time: How the heck did these songs not "make the cut?" They're great!

recap200 likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

"There Is No Greater Love" was meant to open the album. Has a cello solo intro just like the first track ("When I Fall In Love") on the first Jenkins/Cole album..

3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I recall you mentioning this before. If it was intended to occupy so prominent a position on the LP, why didn't something else ("CHERCHEZ LA FEMME", eg.) get cut instead?

4. Steve Hoffman

Publishing rates, personal likes, etc.?

It's not a guess, the old tape box legend has it as track one, side one.

5. MLutthans

....but I love that song!
    (OK....I dig all 16 choices.)

Interesting that LOVE IS THE THING was more-or-less always in print, while THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU went (as far as I know) bye-bye in about 1968 (the latest USA pressing I own), with no SM- or SN- series releases in the USA.

aza14782 likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Do you recall the positioning of "Don't Blame Me?"

7. Steve Hoffman

Not in the slightest! Sorry.

I think it was on side two somewhere...

MLutthans likes this.
  8. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Not doubting you, just find it odd.
    As do I, but I had to use something.
    Doesn't the insert of the AP LP feature pix of the tape boxes? I know both songs are on the box, but are penciled through.

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

10. Steve Hoffman

Those are revised legends.

11. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, our dog got hurt (is OK) so I've been preoccupied.

What I meant to say was that the MONO reels had several tape legends, one on top of the other with the original 16 song track listing, a 14 song listing and a final 14 song listing. I believe this was done much before the 3 track reels (pictured) were programmed.

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. That mono legend must have been done right away since the 3-track boxes (pictured) are from only a few weeks after the sessions.

(Glad the pooch is ok.)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  13. Steve Hoffman

As far as I remember the mono "album master first try" was compiled the very last day of the sessions. The revision was like a week later (reduction of songs) and the final was about 10 days after the last session. I could be off a bit.

Wait, I found it in my documents, final mono compiled 6/12/58 by P. A.

jtaylor likes this.
  14. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Very cool, thanks.

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Since Cole, Gillette, & Jenkins were all trying to reproduce the success of Love is the Thing, any thoughts as to why Kraus wasn't also involved with this one?

16. Steve Hoffman

My thought is that he was working on something else. He told me that the "Capitol Style" could be reproduced by all their hired engineers. The engineering department prided themselves on the recording engineers being "all of a one."

17. Steve Hoffman

Bumped by request.

lukejosephchung and MLutthans like this.
  18. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Curious...do you know who mastered the Capital CD from 1987?

Nat King Cole: The Very Thought of You—Capital CDP 7 48331 2, DIDX 2288 (1987)

Thanks!

MLutthans likes this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Our friend Larry Walsh. I believe it's a remix from the three-track.

MLutthans, recap200 and FJC1966 like this.
  20. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Thanks for your kind reply, Steve. All the best to you.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Glad to help. I haven't heard this Capitol CD in years but I remember it sounding pretty good. A tad too much reverb, if I remember..

MLutthans and recap200 like this.
  22. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

I love this album so much. It sometimes reminds me of my dad, who was a big Nat fan... especially This Is All I Ask. I always loved the '87 CD and extra tracks, still need to hear the 2010 AP version.

ShawnMcCann likes this.
  23. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

NKC always makes me think of my dad, too, also a big fan.

Get all seven of the AP SACDs...and the Audio Fidelity stereo SACDs of Welcome To The Club an The Christmas Song...your ears will thank you!

24. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Yes, I have AF Welcome To The Club (one of my favorites), and AP After Midnight and Just One Of Those Things, all amazing to me... would like the others as well.

25. FJC1966

FJC1966 The Prestonian

Did he use the Capitol plate echo on the 3-track Steve? or was that already locked on the master during recording?