New cartridge for Technics SL1500C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RS2099, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah those suckers are close to 8mv I've read when they get tested! I've never had a 2M. I do think the OM10 sounds good for a bonded elliptical. But it's not high output at 4mv.

McLover and FalseMetal666 like this.
  2. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

VM540ML here on a SL1500C. Very happy with it mounted in a basic AT headshell. KAB damper is a huge upgrade every 1500C deserves.

LivingForever, Sterling1 and RS2099 like this.
  3. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen the KAB before, is it such a huge improvement?

At this point, I think I will return the VM95ML and give the VM540ML a shot.

McLover likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Odds are you won't like it either. No AT MM being made today, for the most part, is going to sound right at ~320pf total loading unless your hearing tops out at 10K or whatever.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Many humans will think the louder example sounds better. In this case, the 2M will be significantly louder than most AT MMs, due to higher output. Most people do not understand level matching either.

stetsonic, csgreene and Pmds55889397 like this.
  6. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Is that the capacitance of the Rega IO phono stage? Or is it 220pf plus cables?

7. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Totally - that's kinda what I was getting at. OP mentioning "foot tapping" tipped me off.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. RS2099

I adjusted the volume level once I changed from the 2M Red to the VM95ML. It didn't change things for me, as the AT still sounded sterile, even if I increased the volume further.

BTW, I've ordered the Denon PMA-1600NE today.

9. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have the A-T VM540ML mounted to Technics Headshell fitted to my Technics SL-1210GR with VTA at Zero setting. The TT is connected to my Parasound P6 phono input. Now, with about 60 hours on the cart playing familiar LPs, the cart seems virtually identical in signature to my Shure V15V/SAS. That's to say, I can not distinguish LP play from CD play of same music: black as coal background, identical tone, and low volume detail albeit perhaps a little bolder in high frequency end. Resonance peak is between 7 and 9 Hz as measured via Shure V15V Audio Obstacle Course Test LP. Overall, I am satisfied with the cart since it is delivering the expected results.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  10. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Most definitely.... deeper and firmer bass which underpins a solid mid-range plus smoother handling of the tonearm.
    KAB damper, basic AT-HS1P headshell, AT-VM540ML, supplied interconnect, and built-in phonostage is where it's at for me.
    I've tried better headshells, cartridges, phono stages, interconnects and an 6mm Acromat but not been impressed.

And I know that those who dis the cueing action haven't lived with the deck. The cueing is accurate and damped; you just need to be confident to lower the cueing lever quickly, the hydraulic damping follows.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Great cart for sure.

Sterling1 likes this.
  12. RS2099

So got the VM540ML today + Denon PMA1600NE. Now, we're talking...

I'm playing the Acoustic Sound Series pressing of Coltrane's "Ballads" and I just have this huge stupid grin on my face. Thank you to everyone that pitched in and provided feedback or guidance on this. Wow, just wow.

13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Here's a little thing I noticed when using the Technics tool.
    Look at the stylus from the bottom, thru the notch, rotate until looking almost perpendicular.
    It was very hard to judge sideways (for me at least). Once I used the notch it was easy,

[​IMG]

Jorgen, bluemooze and Sterling1 like this.
  14. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

Are you using the 1500C phono stage or the Denon's?
    Stock cables or 3rd party?

15. RS2099

Funny thing, I totally forgot to use the gauge this time. And now I'm actually scared to use it cause the sound coming out of the VM540ML is so good, I'm afraid to mess it up.

I'm using the Denon's phono stage and Mogami 2964 cables.

16. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

What do you notice when comparing the 1500C phono stage with the Denon's and the stock Technics interconnect with the Mogami 2964?

17. RS2099

Never even used either.

18. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Is moving up from the Ortofon 2M Red to the 2M Black a worthwhile upgrade for the 1500C?

I've just bought my dad one of these tables and there was a discount on the 2M black when bought together, so I was going to upgrade the cart before giving it to him. He'll be using the internal phono amp through an Icon Audio Stereo 25 valve integrated amp into Icon Audio MFV III speakers.

19. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

2M red is awful, Black & Bronze excellent
    Black can be difficult, Bronze is my bet.

20. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Thanks. What makes the black difficult?

21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

OK, so it appears you have an alignment scheme somewhat divergent than what you would get with the Technics gauge. I have my VM540ML set for the Technics scheme. The cart is also level with platter. Leveling the cart did produce blacker backgrounds. And, so far, the cart tracks as well as my Shure V15V-MR.

22. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I echo what @KeithL said about the KAB Damper. It's an excellent add-on. I was slack-jawed by the undeniable difference the damper made in my system. Even if you disregard the sonic benefits, the tracking and cueing benefits are tangible enough to justify the cost. But the sonic benefits are impressive. Damping out those resonant frequencies really does make a difference.

RS2099 likes this.
  23. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

What do you notice when comparing the 1500C phono stage with the Denon's and the stock Technics interconnect with the Mogami 2964?

They are both there for the trying. Won't cost you anything but 5 minutes of your time.

24. RS2099

Time is the most expensive of all commodities.

25. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

It has been written on this forum that the SL1500c's built-in phono stage has a capacitance of 390pf. I cannot find any published specifications that confirms this. The bundled Ortofon 2m Red specifies a range of 150 to 300pf. It seems unlikely that Technics would deliberately mismatch the phono stage and cartridge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.