PDQ Records in Tucson Going Out of Business

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by LordThanos1969, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found out this weekend that PDQ Records will be going out of business next month. The city has eminent domained the land to expand Grant Road, forcing the store to close its doors. Earlier in the year, the 94 year old original owner, Jack Grossi, passed away. He had reopened the store in 2014 after a deal to sell the store had fallen through.

There are some interesting records on the wall behind the front counter, but per my visit to the store yesterday, someone has already purchased all of them. There are still some audiophile records behind the same counter, but they are high priced. The records in the bins are forgettable, and the CDs are very picked over. Might be worth a trip, but only if you live nearby.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  2. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Sad to hear about Jack Grossi.

Years ago, that was one of my favorite go-to places when I would spend a week in Tucson for Major League exhibition baseball. I might stop by anyway as I like to hit Phoenix/Mesa stores as well as Tucson twice a year. And judging by the look at this snow coming down this morning at my house, I wished I was there right now!:(

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They were great in the early 90's but got less great as the years went by. A lot of great stuff never hit the floor, eBay action and employee holds for high end customers. Ever shop another store where every album was sealed up? I passed on hundreds of records because of this.

4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Last time I was there around 1997 nothing was sealed and you could check the condition of the vinyl. Regretted not buying this one Jan & Dean LP that was in mint condition and under $10. I did buy some reel to reel tapes there, and a Jan & Dean cassette that I still have. Being 1997 this was pretty much pre-eBay so they had good stuff in stock.

They were not forced to close. The city offered relocation assistance. No reason to widen the road, but whatever.

More Stuff To Read

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

The traffic sucked on Grant. They had to widen. The sealed up albums caused lots of people to never come back. Pre eBay was a great time to shop all stores. When eBay hit, it was all over for lots as far as the store racks of great stuff. Now rents crush stores.

6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

When I lived in Tucson, AZ back in the 80s, I used to go to this record store from time to time. I would have gone more but it was so far away from where I lived. It was the biggest record store I had been to at the time since I was only 16 years old when I first went in. I remember seeing the KISS foil posters hanging on the wall in back. I learned a lot of band names by going to this store. Nice store. RIP, PDQ Records.

7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

They would have had a lot of passing through traffic if they took one photo of their size and put it in a Goldmine Magazine ad issue after issue. Don's Discs north of Denver was the same size. Gigantic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.