Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

2. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I'll have to check my box this Friday.
    If this is really happening, we should demand a repress, and a free replacement program that covers everyone who purchased the box, no matter when or where they bought it. I spent almost $500 including shipping for this. This is intolerable.
    At least now they can ditch the 2016 surround mix of Meddle from the blu-ray disc. Hey there, PF records, want a win-win?

Hattipper likes this.
  3. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Yes this is outrageous! It really is happening. I have the set in front of me as I type this.

4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

They already did that with the individual sets.

5. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

6. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Yeah, I know that. But since the blu-rays from the box are also becoming unreadable now they can truly remove that thing from existence, at least when it comes to factory pressed optical media.

7. Hymie the Robot

That ship has long sailed.

opiumden likes this.
  8. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

There were no visible signs of deterioration on the failed Dark Side Blu-ray discs, they looked perfect.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Rip and backup is the only way! After the debacle of the failing Immersion disc I backed up the replacement BD immediately, and have rips and multiple backups of all of the key bits of music on the Blu Rays, including the 2016 Meddle surround and stereo mixes.

10. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

11. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Pulled out my box set to check the discs and yup, there are some blu rays starting to show signs of peeling and some that are about 1/8" already. I bought the set the day it became available and now the discs are going to be unreadable at some point. This is highly disappointing. I'm glad I ripped them all to hard drives when I for got the set. At least the DVDs should be fine, but that's besides the point. Unbelievable.

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

These discs corrupting after just a few years is outrageous, inexcusable and unprofessional. At this time the fans can't get replacements anymore. The same thing occurred with the Immersion discs. And now they're unloading another unreasonably priced box set on us. I don't see how we can have any faith in these discs. I'm cancelling my order for TLY.

13. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Thanks, rontoon. I've been a huge fan for over 30 years and I can accept slightly higher pricing than the industry norm, but to pay $650CAD on a box set that didn't even make it to three years without deteriorating is maddening and depressing. I haven't checked my Immersion sets, but they weren't day-one purchases so maybe they're still fine. Again, they're backed up to drives just like TEY, but I probably should look at some point. Unreal. At this point I'll only consider getting TLY if it drops below $200 (unlikely). I don't trust them to manufacture a lasting product anymore.

14. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Yes, there is a lot of money involved here. I have seen class-action lawsuits over less.

15. Have there been any corruption/damage issues with the CDs and DVDs from this set?

16. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

No, only BD disks are damaged

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Obviously they use cheap discs but overcharge fans

18. I bought all the individual sets - none of my BDs show visible deterioration. I have a mix of retail sets from America and Europe. What's strange is that this isn't a common problem for Blu-rays since 2010 - peeling was an issue solved in the 2000s by manufacturers. It's the protective coating that gets applied to all Blu-rays.

19. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

My sets are perfect. No problems with the blu-rays.

20. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Stupid question from a non-Blue-Ray-player-owner - does one need some manner of Blue-Ray apparatus to back up B-D discs? Or are they just another flavor of files on my computer? Thanks.

(I do expect to upgrade one of these centuries....)

21. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

You need a blu ray drive and a program that can extract the files or copy the disc. For file extraction it's tough to beat MakeMKV. It's free and very lightweight. It can also be used with DVDs. Disc copying is another story. You may need to purchase a program for that (I did). Perhaps others can chime in on programs they use for making ISO (exact disc copy) of blu rays.

anth67 likes this.
  22. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I use AnyDVD. While this is not free, the cost of the software is trivial compared to the potential cost of losing your collection of blu-rays. Also not trivial is the time involved in making the backups and the cost of finding a place to store all the giant ISO files.

23. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I should mention that I use ImgBurn in conjunction with AnyDVD to create faithful ISO images of blu-rays (and burn copies of those discs). ImgBurn is free. AnyDVD unlocks the disc; ImgBurn copies it.

Billy_Sunday, anth67 and edfom like this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

That isn't true. MakeMKV will back up a full blu-ray as well. Once you put the disc in the drive you have the option to back up.
    Once you scan the disc, you lose that option.

edfom and rontoon like this.
  25. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

Oh hey. Learned something new. I never noticed that "Backup" button before. Thanks!

Hymie the Robot likes this.