Poll - Do you like drum solos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cgw, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

One of the most tedious concert experiences I've seen was the otherwise great Ultimate Zero tour put together by Eddie Jobson in 2009.
    Both Minnemann and Simon Phillips got solo spots, both of which seemed to go on for days.

Another time was a few years ago when I saw the Anderson Ponty Band. Rayford Griffin did a solo that seemed like forever, and then he paused. After about 10 or 15 seconds it seemed like the rest of the band was going to come back on stage, but no... he started up again. At that point I heard some guy in a nearby seat go "Really?".

Dudley Morris likes this.
  2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The only drum solos I've seen and enjoyed were by Carl Palmer and Jon Hiseman. The Dead's wasn't as bad as some, but as for the rest, I guess I'm not a drum solo person!!!

Rufus rag likes this.
  3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Absolutely fantastic. This is the best re-creation of the original arrangement (as published by Frank Zappa on the original vinyl version of "In New York") I've ever heard.
    Brilliant.

jawaka1000 likes this.
  4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Jazz drum solos, or tasty rock ones not overly long, YES

:edthumbs:

"solos", like this ... :hurlleft:

Zoot Marimba and CrombyMouse like this.
  5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Yes.........It shows you something when musicians aren't hiding behind a band......That's not to say they can't be boring....Best no matter how good the drummer generally keeping them under 10 minutes.....

6. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

The only one I actually like is from Neil of Rush on Exit Stage Left. In the middle of YYZ, from 2:20 to 5:32, Neil does an awesome, interesting, short solo--3:12. Homeboy gets a lot done.
    You can see some of this from that show he did with Buddy Rich's band on the song, Cotton Tail.
    The solo starts at 3:52 with the most recognizable YYZ part at about 5:12.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Used to growing up but not anymore.

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

Depends on how long they are. If it's a mere handful of bars, fair enough.

9. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Drums and Space...often my favorite part of the show.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

My favorite drum solo...

11. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Anything over 4 bars is obligatory

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

As an old drummer I vote no. I do like some jazz solos missing that are short and to the point. But 45 minute John bonham live ones no thanks.

13. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Question just occurred to me:
    Did Keith Moon ever do a drum solo?

14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I know how funny this must sound but I wish The Song Remains The Same included a complete 25+minute drum solo!:hide:Tough to choose but the complete Moby Dick 27th may be my favorite drum solo of all time because it sounds musical not just a"solo" it gets my foot tapping but it`s melodic at least in my mind.Later tours spent too much time just wailing on the tympani and I can`t really listen to them.I do play those three soundboards often from Madison Square Garden often those really are saying something to me.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  15. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

Here's the deal, drummers get a break during the acoustic set, the rest of the band gets a break during the drum solo. That's why they are there.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Like them when they're "musical." Don't like them (or any solos) when either they seem designed to kill time/get the band off the hook re learning more material/etc. or they're used to showcase "gymnastic abilities."

17. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

Of course. I mean why not? If the drummer is talented and creative, it can be very entertaining. It's no different than a guitar solo or a bass solo. If some one is just going through the motions, it can be dull and boring.

Case in point, I saw Journey last night and was treated to 2 guitar solos, a piano solo, and a drum solo. The Schon guitar and Cain piano solos did nothing for me. The drum solo by the great Steve Smith creative and fun to watch.

Surprised to see how many here are anti drum solo, especially the former drummers.

18. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

It's like hiring a magician to perform at a magicians convention, nobody's gonna be impressed.

19. marty34

marty34 Forum Resident

That’s a tough one. I chose yes, but I don’t care for most solos, however I absolutely love a good drum break. A tasty drum break makes a great song better.

20. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

That’s when I go get a beer

21. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Seemed to me extended drum solos were fading away, before that one revived 'em with a vengeance. Even the Beatles copied its' concept.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

As long as they're short, sweet, and tasty I love a good drum solo. This coming from a Latin percussion fanatic! What I've never had much patience for are bass solos!;)

23. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

Absolutely...like once every 10 years...maybe

24. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

great fan of jack de johnette...

Terrapin Station likes this.
  25. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I'm indifferent to them really although I do love Bill Bruford's one in Perpetual Change by Yes on Yessongs.

Rufus rag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.