POLL - The Beatles - Yellow Submarine - Your Favorite Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, Sep 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

[​IMG]

From Wikipedia:

"Yellow Submarine is the tenth studio album by English rock band the Beatles, released on 13 January 1969 in the United States and on 17 January in the United Kingdom. It was issued as the soundtrack to the animated film of the same name, which premiered in London in July 1968. The album contains six songs by the Beatles, including four new songs and the previously released "Yellow Submarine" and "All You Need Is Love". The remainder of the album is a re-recording of the film's orchestral soundtrack by the band's producer, George Martin.

The project was regarded as a contractual obligation by the Beatles, who were asked to supply four new songs for the film. Some were written and recorded specifically for the soundtrack, while others were unreleased tracks from other projects. The album was recorded before – and issued two months after – the band's self-titled double LP (also known as the "White Album") and was not viewed by the band as a significant release. An EP containing only the new songs had been considered, and was mastered, but left unreleased. The original mono mixes were later included in the 2009 compilation Mono Masters.

Yellow Submarine reached the top 5 in the UK and the US. It has since been afforded a mixed reception from music critics, some of whom consider that it falls short of the high standard generally associated with the Beatles' work. Another version of the album, the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, was issued on the film's 30th anniversary. It dispenses with the George Martin orchestrations, and includes the six Beatles songs from the original album, along with an additional nine songs heard in the film, all newly remixed. "

Further reading about Yellow Submarine
    https://www.beatlesbible.com/albums/yellow-submarine/
    The Beatles Collection » Yellow Submarine, Apple PCS 7070.
    The Beatles Remasters: Yellow Submarine
    Any Love For The 1999 Yellow Submarine Songtrack? *
    The Beatles: Yellow Submarine EP
    The Beatles: Yellow Submarine
    Yellow Submarine [Soundtrack]
    Album Review: The Beatles - Yellow Submarine [Remastered]
    The Beatles - Yellow Submarine (album review ) | Sputnikmusic
    Why the Beatles Didn't Sink Much Effort Into ‘Yellow Submarine’
    "Yellow Submarine": Does It Matter?
    Yellow Submarine movie review (1968) | Roger Ebert
    'Yellow Submarine' at 50: Why the Psychedelic Animated Beatles Movie Is Timeless

Please select your favorite tracks from Yellow Submarine above. :wave:

Crimson Witch and DK Pete like this.
  2. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

3. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

It is a hard album to like.

Tim 2 and Izozeles like this.
  4. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

OMG! Each time I blink, three new Beatles threads are started.

Well, the standouts here, imo, are:

-Only A Nothern Song
    -Hey Buldog
    -It's All Too Much
    -Sea Of Monsters
    -March Of The Meanies

March Of The Meanies is my favorite side 2 track. It's epic! Makes me think of Star Wars...

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

An underrated album the new songs are all great except "All Together Now" which is still okay. Also enjoy the Martin instrumentals. Love the cover too. Would take it over the dreary Let It Be (album) any day

wwright and Jeff W. Richman like this.
  6. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Northern Song is pretty abysmal.

internetcurmudgeon likes this.
  7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Hey Bulldog, easily.

MitchLT likes this.
  8. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

My two votes go for

Hey Bulldog
    Only A Northern Song (altough I prefer the Anthology version)

9. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Surprisingly I could check the whole side one and "I don't like it at all" at the same time. And the instrumental pastiches on the side are perhaps better than instrumentals in their other films. Still the album is kinda sad, like a poor relative in their UK discography.

10. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I have to say, I enjoy all the tracks on this one for the most part. If you go in looking at it as a Beatles album you’ll be disappointed. However if you see it as a soundtrack album that the Beatles are featured in, it’s actually a great album. I’ve always disliked that the soundtrack and the Beatles songs are on separate sides, I wish they were sort of mixed together, I think it might flow better.

Favorites (not counting the songs that had already been released before) are Bulldog and All Together Now.

11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Despite the idea to lean forward the UK discography and release everything ‘as it was’, I personally think they should have dropped this one when they re-released everything in 1987. The unique tracks should just have appeared on Past Masters. The mono versions works very well on Mono Masters.

12. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

This is one of my favorite Beatle albums because of Only A Northern Song and side two,
    especially Sea Of Monsters and Sea Of Time.

I used to play Pepperland on piano.

I wish the Beatles had put more emphasis on instrumental music on their other albums.

DK Pete, wwright and ODIrony like this.
  13. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Bulldog and YS. I will take this opportunity to listen to this again later this weekend.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

To be honest this album has never interested me in the slightest

ODShowtime likes this.
  15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

There's almost nothing to scratch here.
    Bottom of the bottom of the bottom of the barrel

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I love 'em all, side 2 included.
    Hey Bulldog is my fave track, I guess.

DK Pete, Jeff W. Richman and tages like this.
  17. tages

tages Senior Member

Absolutely love this album. Everything about it.

It’s like a kaleidoscopic view of psychedelia through a child’s eyes (and taken under the sea).

George Martin’s score is great - like FANTASIA updated for the love generation.

So glad it exists. Couldn’t pick a favourite song but “All You Need Is Love” is pretty amazing.

Love the whole innocent/demented vibe of the film too.

Beatles ‘67 - about as good as it gets.
    [​IMG]

18. wore to a frazzel

wore to a frazzel Forum Resident

I can't stand Hey bulldog or All together now, but the Harrison tracks suggests a direction that would have been interesting to see them go in. But I can't complain since the White album is great anyway.

19. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

In terms of side one's actual Beatle songs, I easily go with Hey Bulldog and It's All Too Much..each represent the very best in terms of deep Beatle tracks from each of their respective writer. That said, I first bought the album in the Summer of 1970; I was 12 years old at the time and I instantly loved George Martin's score music on side two. For that alone, I'd love a remix of this album even though I know it's not on anyone's radar.

21. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Voted for three of the EP tracks ('It's Only a Northern Song,' 'Hey Bulldog,' 'It's All Too Much'). I would vote for 'All You Need Is Love' on MMT, but not on this LP.

I like Side Two, but I don't have a favorite track from George Martin's work here.

I like it. It's listenable throughout.

John Porcellino likes this.
  22. helter

helter Forum Resident

Hey Bulldog by a country mile!

ODShowtime and blutiga like this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I can't help but think of this record as an EP. I tried but just can't get into the George Martin score.
    I like 'Only a Northern Song', 'Hey Bulldog' and 'It's all too Much'. The other three tracks on side 1 are okay but not my favourites. I give it a 4/5 Very Good for the 3 outstanding tracks.

24. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I don't know what the lifespan of record producer royalties is: this album is still earning royalties for George Martin and his family, at any rate, in a double dose!!
    It would be interesting to know if any consideration was given to making the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" a longer CD with remixed George Martin instrumental music placed in sequence on the CDs as the compositions appear in the film score. Those of us lucky to have the 1999 DVD can play that with a music-only soundtrack (which is an interesting way to experience the film) which may well have been a compromise solution to not having GM's rerecorded soundtrack music placed on "YSS"

25. Mr. Bewlay

Mr. Bewlay It Is The Business Of The Future To Be Dangerous.

It's Only A Northern Song and It's All To Much are highly underrated, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.