Spin Clean for Life

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

I've had three VPI HW-16.5's over the years and now I have a Spin Clean that was given to me for free. I didn't want to think it could ever replace the 16.5, but this thing continues to blow my mind. I have developed a specific technique. When I get a new record (new or second-hand), I clean it, play it a few times, then clean it again, and I would say I almost always notice an improvement after the second cleaning. I'm wondering if using a conical stylus with a tracking force of 3 grams helps loosen dirt and debris from the groove more than, say, a line contact stylus tracking lighter...?

Anyway, this weekend I acquired a favorite, rare LP. Before I bought it I had the chance to preview it. My friend, a dealer, said it had been cleaned with a VPI, and he told me I should NOT use a Spin Clean on such a rare and valuable record. On that initial listen, the record sounded decent but I was honestly holding back my enthusiasm until I got home to clean it myself and play it on my rig. After one Spin Clean I would say the surface noise declined by at least 50%, then after a few more plays and a second cleaning, it is now damn near silent in most spots. Just amazing. I've had so much success with this thing in the last couple years that I think I may never go back to a vacuum machine.

NOTE: Fans of vacuum cleaning machines, this thread is not intended to start controversy about record cleaning machines or to belittle vacuum machines so please don't take it that way. :D

MikeInFla, dkmonroe, SBurke and 16 others like this.
  2. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Why did the dealer tell you that you shouldn't use a Spin Clean on a rare and valuable record?

Rolltide, marcb, Kristofa and 2 others like this.
  3. 2xUeL

I didn't ask, but I would guess that they may have a phobia of some sort related to the idea of submerging the record in water? The one drawback of the machine is that drops of water can get on the label of the record, but whenever that has happened to me the water never does any damage.

Maybe they thought the Spin Clean wasn't "worthy" of a rare, valuable record?? :laugh:

4. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

gotcha. Good thing you didn't listen to him since it improved the sound of the record! :thumbsup:

MikeInFla, aoxomoxoa and 2xUeL like this.
  5. 2xUeL

Note that I didn't play it at home before the first cleaning. I have no idea what the condition of my friend's stylus was, what shape it was, what it was tracking at, or if it was properly aligned (I have my suspicions). So I guess in all fairness it's possible that the record would have sounded quieter on my rig even without the first cleaning.

6. jbc777300

jbc777300 Forum Resident

Could you please elaborate?

7. 2xUeL

When I said that I just meant the whole cleaning-playing-recleaning thing. I just follow the instructions otherwise lol.

MikeInFla and jbc777300 like this.
  8. 2xUeL

Let me also add that at one time I know my friend, the dealer, used one of those bulky felt dust brushes to spread the cleaning fluid on his records before running the VPI's vacuum. Would those things get into the grooves deep enough?? The fabric on the Spin Clean brushes isn't very 'deep' either per se, not like the stock VPI brush, but it seems to do the job! :) Maybe the fibers don't need to be that long because record grooves aren't really that deep relatively speaking?

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

More importantly-
    What was the rare fish you snagged?!
    :drool:

sami and aoxomoxoa like this.
  10. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

I use a Spin Clean and love it. I did have one instance where it dribbled some water on the label of an LP and made the 60 year old ink run and smudge a bit. Luckily, the record was not in great condition to begin with. Hasn’t happened again since.

11. Question for those who use a Spin Clean: do you change the liquid in the tank after every record you clean? Because if you don't aren't you spinning each record after the first in a tank with dirty liquid?

LitHum05 and Michael Rose like this.
  12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I always got good results from my Spin Clean, I just didn't like having to batch clean.

Rockinrob likes this.
  13. JKozy88

JKozy88 Well-Known Member

You kinda are, but I find that most of the debris kinda sinks to the bottom and the brushes seem to stay clean somehow

MikeInFla, marcb and Wounded Land like this.
  14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The fluid that you use wicks the dirt away and sends it to the bottom of the tank. At least that’s my understanding.

I use spin clean on all my LPs. I love it. I find the process of cleaning records quite relaxing.

15. JKozy88

JKozy88 Well-Known Member

Totally agree on the relaxing part. My "process" is meditative, in a way...and of course, rewarding

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have only destroyed one label with my Spin Clean. It was a London Treasury label. You know, one of the blue ones with silver text. It wiped it out. Thankfully it was just a Genesis From Genesis to Revelation repress that doesn't hold that much value for me.

17. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

To the OPs idea of cleaning then playing to loosen debris further and cleaning again, I totally agree. I’ve been buying a lot of used records and this trick has helped.

18. 2xUeL

Oh I hope to surprise the readers of my blog soon with it! A hint is: BLP 159x original. :D

Arliss Renwick likes this.
  19. 2xUeL

I believe this is correct, that the formula causes the dirt to sink to the bottom. That said, I will clean many records with the same water.

20. aoxomoxoa

It’s odd. The dust seems to come out of the brushes when it dries.

jsr likes this.
  21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

For fun I will guess "blues walk". What's your blog? (Sorry for crosstalk)

22. 2xUeL

Deep Groove Mono

Dan Steele and Mugrug12 like this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

So how do you guys dry your records after a good bath? I’ve been using old t shirts and a dish rack.
    Anyone have a better method?

24. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

A dampened microfiber (to act like a chamois) then a dry microfiber. I zerostat before sleeving and/or playing. I don’t know if it is better, but there is less chance of lint.

aoxomoxoa and 2xUeL like this.
  25. I recently bought an ultrasonic but have used a Spin Clean for years and won't be getting rid of it any time soon. I like how it's silent (obviously) but also quick to set up and use.

Optimize, mikeyt and 2xUeL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.