The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fozl1986

fozl1986 Forum Resident

but never announced.....

Rufus rag and fRa like this.
  2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The CEO took one look at it and said "I can't go for that, no. No. No can do."

3. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I hadn't heard that. How exciting... and disappointing!

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Kraftwerk - Techno Pop in 1983.

EMI even released a catalogue number for it causing fans like me to hang on to the dream of its release for at least 3 years until we finally got Electric Cafe, a revamped, digitised and largely soulless flatter version of what might have been. TP was effectively 'destroyed' and lost in the transition. Little apart from two demos is left.

andrewskyDE, Maurice and Surly like this.
  5. darling

darling Senior Member

No - decades after the fact.
    It truly is one of the best-kept secrets.

Around the time of the re-releases of the Old Friends box, and the five albums, there were a number of other bonus tracks under considereation that never made the cut. I believe some of them ended up on the Alternate Bookends bootleg. I suppose it's just a matter of getting the principals to sign off - but at this point, many have lapsd into the European public domain so perhaps they gave up on that idea completely.

6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The Who's new album? :hide:

CMcGeek, mrjinks, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point

bobloblaw likes this.
  8. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

*thwack!*

9. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Oh, how I wish Endless Wire could be on this list...

PIGGIES, andrewskyDE, mrjinks and 4 others like this.
  10. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Warsaw

Last year on RSD, it even appeared on the RSD web site, but didn't appear.

11. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

The complete James Brown live at the Apollo box was never released.
    Also, I'm still waiting since 2012 for the last Atlantic Albums of Aretha Franklin (1974-79).

The MEZ and munjeet like this.
  12. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

CSN&Y live at the Fillmore East audio and video that Graham Nash was supposedly compiling.

jlf, SteveFff, rockclassics and 2 others like this.
  13. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I am not sure. George mentioned having another material for two studio albums and a sort of anthology of unreleased stuff in his Timothy White interview... as I remember.

linclink likes this.
  14. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Given the mess of J.B’s estate, I think we can forget about seeing anything more in the way of J.B. archival releases, ever. In retrospect, we’re lucky that we got the expanded Love, Power, Peace and that the collected Singles series was completed through the end of the Polydor years.

I read the lengthy investigative piece on J.B.’s estate published last week by CNN. I couldn’t stop reading, even though it was pretty horrifying.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  15. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I may have missed it in the previous 17 pages, but Bob Seger's `Back In '72' was listed
    in ICE but never arrived. As well. I was talking to Kirk West (who worked for the Allman
    Brothers Band) backstage in Detroit (circa '93) and he told me that he had the Allman
    Joys CD-reissue booklet in his pocket.....that may have been listed in ICE but it never
    saw the light of day either.

Davido likes this.
  16. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I will have to go with Elton John SACD's of the remaining albums that were mixed for surround.
    Next up would be Mobile Fidelity announced Jimmy Buffett - Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes before they went bust in 1999.

jlf, Blue Cactus and Zensound like this.
  17. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Not sure it's my "big" musical disappointment, but as someone who bought Brian Wilson's debut in 1988 (I was in middle school) and loved it, I spent the next two years eagerly following reports of its imminent follow-up, Sweet Insanity, checking the racks at my local Strawberries every time I went just in case it had snuck out...

The MEZ likes this.
  18. SJB

Years ago, Andy Partridge announced that there would be a comprehensive collection of all of XTC's performances on the BBC - audio and video. This was to be considerably more expansive than the existing 4CD Transistor Blast compilation. But, like several other mooted XTC projects, it never happened.

19. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Why is that? Just a lack of follow through or something else?

20. SJB

I don't recall ever seeing an explanation. Same with the 2009 reissues, they just dropped it. (If I had to guess, I'd suspect money - or lack thereof - played a big part.)

Osato likes this.
  21. Hints dropped by JP for Zep live stuff that doesn't come out

Iron Maiden definitely recorded shows I've been to and then not released them, ditto with not releasing DVD of Donington 1992 (a great performance).

22. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I was really disappointed that Neil Young never played in a band with Keith Richards, as he was supposed to for the New Barbarians back in like 79. I drove 3 hours and waited in line for tickets all night, got front row center, then had to sell tickets cause it never was gonna happen.

The MEZ likes this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Beach Boys ~ Expanded Brother albums. Capitol put these together, sent out a track listing then completely forgot about them. They'll eventually come out as copyright protection but it would have been great to have got them at the time.

Eska68, Sean and munjeet like this.
  24. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

It wasn't officially announced but we (DTS) had a number of 5.1 titles on the production schedule when the plug was pulled, including Steve Perry's Street Talk.

PTgraphics likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Years ago, they announced a sequel album to Susan Boyle's debut release.

And then later...they released it.

It's now a regular staple of my annual garage sale. Right next to that big stack of National Geographic's. :help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.