The Japanese Popular Music Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by juss100, Feb 19, 2021.

1. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did title the thread popular music so we could have an excuse to catch a little rock music, which is pop's close twin really, isn't it :D I'm not sure where the lines blur and things crossover more and more as the years roll by. They're quite cool - seem a lot more frenetic rock from this video than to heavily synth/new wave inspired ... I guess that was probably their earlier stuff?

2. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

LOL That's why I like them, their style is all over the place on every album. One track is hard rock, the next is kind of mellow, the next sounds like a video game, the next is a weird new-wave/J-POP blend. Here's a dance track:

3. juss100

Morning Musume have put out another barnstormer this year on top of the full length "That's J-Pop" album, one of my favourite things in years. Strongest of the 3 is probably the first, Teenage Solution. I'm sure they're wearing the same outfits as last year, but that's fine they look rather amazing.

4. Snutteplutte

Snutteplutte Well-Known Member

A fine Yoru no hit studio moment, Seiko Matsuda singing Amii Ozaki masterpiece Tenshi no wink with presumably a unborn Sayaka Kanda in her in belly.

5. Snutteplutte

Snutteplutte Well-Known Member

歌手・俳優の神田沙也加さん死去 35歳 | NHKニュース

Apperently Sayaka Kanda have been found dead in a hotel room in Sapporo city just recently. So sad only 35 years old, must be a hard time for her mother now (Seiko Matsuda).

Sayaka Kanda maybe most known for voice acting roll as Anna in the japanese dub of Frozen 1 and 2.

My favorite Sayaka Kanda moment.

juss100 and yasujiro like this.
  6. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

7. juss100

I think some of the RYM box sets are pretty good - I've been going through the Jpop one and that's how I found good stuff like Akina Nakamori and Seiko Matsuda. On the downside RYM users tend to frown on Jpop and idol music more than anyone else and the focus skews a bit too much towards art-electronica style artists, for me, which are generally Ok but don't get my own juices flowing. However, the artists deliberately left off that list for being "too good" Sheena Ringo and Seiko Oomori, Akiko Yanno really are my bag as their work, whilst quite avante-garde in places, is also steeped in pop/rock music tradition.

8. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

I'm really annoyed at myself as I found a new Japanese singer-songwriter who is extremely similar to Akiko Yano, but in a good way - it's quality if derivative music. However, I now can't remember her name. I think she uses a mononym which incorporates 'kotori' because she used to keep birds when younger. But, I can't find her again. Does anyone have any ideas as to who it might be?

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Scandal or SCANDAL is a very interesting group; not only photogenic ladies but they play idiomatic rock and are quite good and prolific song writers. They are also clever marketers for Japanese markets. However I think what inhibits their overseas success is the lack of English lyrics. Most of their albums and videos are quite Japan centric. Even discogs listings are filled with Japanese language titles. So either they don't care if they sell albums to market themselves overseas or no one has explained what it takes. Also they only have two of 9 albums with vinyl issues and those were extremely limited production.

As for regular pop I like Mioko Yamaguchi who only released 3 albums in the 80s and then turned entirely to songwriting for other singers. Those albums though are very nice rather sophisticated pop. I would call the material a cross between Fleetwood Mac self titled and early Joni Mitchell. Her voice is pleasant.

speedracer likes this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Kotoringo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    HitAndRun likes this.
  11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The movie, ”In This Corner (and Other Corners) of the World” for which Kotoringo composed is a genuine masterpiece. You can watch it on Netflix.

juss100 and HitAndRun like this.
  12. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Thank you very much for identifying Kotoringo for me. I've been listening to her music and watched the film on Netflix too.

If I can be so forward as to ask another question, I believe there is a Japanese singer/songwriter who was perhaps a bit of a hikikomori, if what I read was correct. I first heard him sing 'Kaze wo Atsumete' live at some musical event that featured Papa-san. He also had a song I liked a lot called something like 'Parachutes' which might have had an animated video. I think he often plays all or most of the instruments on his albums. However, like Kotoringo, I've forgotten his name. Does this description ring any bells?

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This one?

HitAndRun likes this.
  14. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Nice song, but not that one.

Oh, I searched and I found the version of Kaze wo Atsumete that I meant.

And, my memory has failed again. The song I was trying to remember is 'Jubilee', and nothing about parachutes.

Previously when I went through the music of Nakamura that I could find, I couldn't find other songs I like as much as Jubilee, but I will try again.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Eiichi Ohtaki died on December 30, 2013.

HitAndRun likes this.
  16. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

The video above won't show in the UK, so I don't know what song it is.

I'll post 'Lakeside Story' by Eiichi Ohtaki, so that people in Europe can listen to some Ohtaki too. Including some sleigh bells it sounds like.

LoveYourLife and yasujiro like this.
  17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The video is Canary Island, though any song from his Niagara albums would have been ok.

HitAndRun likes this.
  18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The director is kinda pupil of the late Isao Takahata, who had a great taste for music, too.
    Takahata co-wrote the theme song for his animation series, Jarinko Chie.
    The latter half of the song was sung by Chinatsu Nakayama, who was the voice actor of the show.

https://youtu.be/vXSb3Khyikg

HitAndRun likes this.
  19. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Another Japanese artist I've been listening to recently is Clammbon. This is '夜見人知らず'.

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Juice Juice also covered Mariya Takeuchi’s iconic song, Plastic Love.

https://youtu.be/f6Nuvg3RuEw

juss100 likes this.
  21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Hiroko Moriguchi - Mizu no Hoshi e Ai wo Komete, a theme song from Gundam. The 2019 unplugged version.

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Miki Imai - Ame Ni Kiss no Hanataba wo

23. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

Unsure if this counts, but have been enjoying this mix; and have been listening to Minako Yoshida's Flapper album subsequently.

VH3FAN likes this.
  24. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

Pink Lady apparently had a sitcom in the U.S about 40 years ago. I read this is why they had 1 U.S. top 40 single.

25. fluxkit

fluxkit Things that don't swing are meaningless.

I enjoy the Mariane Shinonome solo lp Mood Adjuster (2019) a bit. It is a bit too fast for my usual listening. It is a bit more pop than her stuff with Kinoco Hotel, which is nice, but pretty much the same sort of rock style over and over.