The Mavericks Discussion Thread (Concerts, news, Recordings, etc).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spanky1, Jun 3, 2016.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

though? :shrug: So far I am liking the songs!

If you can, zoom into the cover to see the details
    [​IMG]

2. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I'd honestly already totally forgotten about their covers record until I read this.

It's a bit strange that they've recently started using so much Mexican iconography considering that Raul Malo, as well as a lot of their sound, is Cuban.

Jrr likes this.
  3. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I did not know the group, I was intrigued because I read a very positive review in an German musical magazine.
    What to say? I listened to something on youtube, it seems interesting to me.

I'll definitely acquire this CD when it comes out.
    That is ... TOMORROW! then I'll let you know if, in fact, it deserves ... :wave:

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They were very good until Brand New Day, imo, and they sound tired now (ie, songs sounding the same) which is probably why they have tried doing a covers album (wasn’t good imo) and they have this spanish album coming...love the cover but I’m passing. Try getting the album Mono. It doesn’t sound good, but it has excellent songs. The vinyl version is much, much better than any digital/cd version. I forgot the name of the next one, a two album set I believe, and it is very good too. I love the Christmas album as well, it isn’t that old. Go backwards from there!

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

6. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

I think that cover looks awesome. And the fact this release is "En Espanol" makes it even more interesting for me. Gonna put it on my wish list!

Jrr and longdist01 like this.
  7. Their 4th and 5th albums were the strongest to my ears. I actually jumped in with Raul's solo project and worked backwards from there. "Mono" did not click with me, and I passed by "Brand New Day" several times, perhaps due to the cover art (which just didn't seem like them). When I finally picked it up, I was very much surprised. This ticked a lot of the adventurous-but-melodic boxes that they more consistently reached earlier in their career.

Raul is a tremendous talent.

I'll get "En Espanol." I speak the language anyway.

8. Old Fart At Play

I've only listened twice so far, but I'm enjoying "En Espanol" more than their last couple of albums.

Most of it sounds more like a Mavericks album with Spanish lyrics than the Mavericks playing Latin music, which is what I was expecting. I've only listened online, so I don't know how many of the songs are originals, if any, versus covers.

They've definitely established their sound at this point, and I don't think we're going to get any big surprises from them anymore. But this at least feels a little fresh.

I personally think the stagnation began with "Mono," which seemed like a big decline from "In Time." But I think "In Time" was a great comeback, and their second best album after "Trampoline." "Mono" was also the first release on their own label, if I remember correctly. I think they might be a band that benefits just a little from having someone else cracking the whip.

musicaner, stereoptic and longdist01 like this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They definitely would benefit having a good producer at the helm. An objective voice and maybe a way to help keep their sound a little more fresh from album to album. What a talented band though! It’s hard to create fresh music when you have stuck around this long. Raul is an amazing vocalist imo.

longdist01 and Old Fart At Play like this.
  10. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I got my copy.
    Today I can not listen to it in my house, only in the car...
    Seems nice: No Jewel Case but it's nice. All the lyrics printed, a nice booklet.
    And about the music?
    well.... I hope to say something about it... tomorrow! EN ESPANOL !! :p

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  11. siebrand

siebrand music lover

nice album, love it a lot.
    Some rythm, melody and... sugar...
    Maybe a little to sweet, but it's fine, so.
    Very good interpratation of QUANDO ME ENAMORO. Great Italian song of 40/50 years ago.
    When my wife heard it she almost felt down of her chair, smiling immediately (she's not interested in music...).
    She explained it was an ooh so such loved song when she was a child.
    Good. A smiling wife is allways fine ;).

Recording is OK. Could be a little better regarding DR, but even THAT is ok.

This morning it played 3/4 times.
    Now it's time for some blues..., because... yes... there's (imho), a lot of sugar in this en español...

12. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

A Special Announcement From The Mavericks...

BIG NEWS! We’re teaming up with our friends at nugsnet to bring you Live Audio Recordings of 30 shows from our 30th World Tour

13. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  14. Old Fart At Play

I was excited about this until I listened to the audio samples of the show I was at, at the Ryman. Oh, man.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That's option overkill!
    Perhaps in this case, more content than quality.
    I heard a few samples here and there, and some are certainly not 'great' performances.
    Pretty cool momento to have if you went to a particular show.
    Buying the whole lot as a collection would set you back a few bucks.
    I'm also somebody that I can't have 3 or 4 of the 30.
    By default, I'm all in, or not in at all.
    I like the idea though....

melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I totally agree. Was just too much so I went with nothing. They should do one great concert with a tracklist that has all their best songs. Every concert is a compromise so you have to get a few to have a complete list. Don’t think it will work but your right, if you were at any of them that would be cool to buy. I will go see them live when things calm down. I hear they are amazing live.

melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This live show archive concept might work for Bruce Springsteen, but The Mavericks deserve to have professionally recorded live shows released as CD/LP on a retail level. They botched the most recent live album, but it's entirely feasible. The Stray Cats released numerous professionally produced live albums on Surfdog Records from their 2004 tour and The Brian Setzer Orchestra have released several live albums as well.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup, that live album was terrible all the way around. Since they self release their material, and it isn’t that difficult to do, they really should have a concert professionally filmed and release it on their label. It does not have to cost that much. Chris DeVoe could do it! I bet he chimes in...no doubt it’s been discussed.

Chris DeVoe and melstapler like this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That's a great idea! @Chris DeVoe would be a perfect choice. They should do a DVD/CD or Bluray/CD bundle similar to the Rolling Stones Vaults releases.

Rick Bartlett and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you, but I know my limitations. I am very good at producing a reasonably good concert video at a budget price, but there are plenty of people who serve the higher end of the market - although I'd love to be doing the handheld camera in front of Eddie. That man is a video director's dream who loves playing to the camera.

Jrr and melstapler like this.
  21. D_minor

D_minor Senior Member

Quarantunes #29 with Raul Malo & Band of Heathens - My Sweet Lord by George Harrison

Chris DeVoe and musicaner like this.
  22. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

"Mono" was brutal but this new one is OK; the recording itself sounds funny but the performances are good.

Jrr likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man, I just loved the Mono album!! Had they just recorded it right it would probably be my top 5 album of all time but wow, you almost have to make an effort to make something sound so awful. The fact that it can still be enjoyed is quite a testament to how great the album really is. It was amazing to even see so many people on Amazon remark about how bad it sounded, when typically no one there even brings up SQ issues. I would pay an awful lot for a proper sounding stereo version! I really hope they have another really great album in them, and I would also love to see Trampoline released on vinyl.

And Chris...I think you are underselling yourself! Your work I've seen looks great! Hey, if they aren’t going to spend the money to do it why not? Since you work with them you could film the same concert a few times and then cut it all together as if you had a lot of cameras. I’m getting ready to do that for a local band here.

24. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

They released a video years ago, and there is one from a Yahoo concert they did a few years ago.
    Good that Raul seems to have lost some weight.

Jrr likes this.
  25. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

In Time, Mono and Brand New Day are all really good albums. They've been excellent live as well.

Lownotes and stereoptic like this.