The Two Popes (2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Dec 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

The guy in the Inquirer fell all over himself lauding this today. Calling Jonathan Pryce's performance one of the best in his career. And no, it's no anti- or pro-Catholic film. It's just a study of two different men working together and discussing life.

I think Pryce is a sadly overlooked actor

Kinda like The Crown at the Vatican

2. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched it at a theater. I have no idea how much of it actually happened that way, but it's an excellent film.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  3. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Redacted.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  4. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Well worth watching, and now on Netflix. A really interesting story and terrific lead performances by Jonathan Pryce and Anthony Hopkins. Doesn’t matter whether you are religious or not...you can see why it’s got Golden Globe nods.

wolfram and The Panda like this.
  5. The Panda

Thanks for the heads up

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Just watched it and thought it was great. It was nice to see Hopkins in a role that reminded us how good an actor he is. It's been a while. Pryce was excellent too, of course.

And it even had the Beatles. And ABBA.

7. The Panda

Just wanted to say we saw this on Netflix and it's a must see. Two actors top of their game underplaying their roles. Strong simple silences.
    If you are a fan of the style of Tender Mercies or True Confessions, then this is tailor made for you. Yes, like the Crown, the dialogue is made up, but it shouldn't bother you. This is not a movie about Catholicism, it's about two Catholic people.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

When I saw the title I thought it was about one pope in Rome and
    the other in Avignon instead of this boring story line.

Rufus McDufus and head_unit like this.
  9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I read they were going to title this "My Dinner With The Pope" but changed due to fear of getting sued by The Andre Company. It's on the internet so that means Al Gore said it, so it must be true. Or maybe it means Al Gore is the pope. Or something. All kidding aside, the actors are great. And I love the script, which says many things I believe but let's veer off that forbidden topic to WARNING: not an action movie! Hey, maybe they could make "The Pope and the Furious" where they drag race around Vatican City...

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Maybe they could have those two Popes horse race each other...

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

prince wrote a song about the pope.

my good friend told me that this is a must see.

12. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I watched this and enjoyed it very much.

13. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Man. This film blew me away. Was looking after my daughter's kitties while she was away on business and she hooked me up with the family Netflix password. This came up so I watched it. The acting was amazing and the film's motif seemed to be "heavy is the head that wears the crown". I think the film played against certain expectations about the two principals it portrays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.