War of the Worlds on Epix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Feb 23, 2020.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Gabriel Byrne leads an international cast on a new Tv series adaption of H.G. Wells War of the Worlds. This is a very different take focusing on the aftermath more than the visual aspects of the attack.

it’s a tense, different approach that makes familiar material a little less so by borrowing a page from “The Walking Dead” as most of the action is post attack and focuses on the survivors.

mdm08033 and mikeyt like this.
  2. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Nice performances and a very tense pair of first episodes.

3. I've watched the first several episodes and am enjoying the ride.

... at least as we see them so far, does anyone else find them very reminiscent of the metal 'dogs' in the Black Mirror episode Metalhead?

mdm08033 likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So it sounds a bit more "a quiet place", than "starship troopers". Good idea for a series. Special effects to a minimum, the scooby-gang running around in destroyed scenery, engaging with shell-shocked survivors.

Anybody think this hail-mary is gonna up Epix' profile as a must-subscribe platform? Anybody...?

5. I take it you haven't seen one of the episoodes.

Scope J likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

I take it neither has anybody else, who doesn't pay for Epix. But, I've seen Walking Dead, and I've seen Colony, and I know it's sometimes best to focus on the human elements, once you've set up the budget-draining setting and situation sufficiently.

7. Google searches can prove illuminating. The first two episodes are available free:

EPIX | Hit Movies, TV Series and More

8. Dillydipper

So was the first episode of Picard. But, that hasn't convinced me to reach for my credit card yet...

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I quite enjoyed it, much better than the BBC version, I didn't know it was partly filmed here in Bristol until I suddenly recognised the streets they were walking along.

10. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I thought the first two episodes were very well done and riveting. I'm glad I have the DISH
    Movie Pack add on for $10.00 which gives me all of the Epix Channels plus many more
    (including HDNet Movies which is also essential). So hopefully this series may increase EPIX's
    subscribers.
    I liked how anyone who wasn't underground died. They did a great job of having
    dead bodies everywhere on the streets along with vehicles. It must have been a major
    project to have that many of both in so many scenes.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  11. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

I hated the plot of the second episode. I understand the needs of the writers to offer a glimpse of the invaders, but that method was cliche and worthy of a first year film student. And the physical distances the characters walked was patently absurd: fly to the observatory on a helicopter, walk into a town???

As Jenny says, I won't be investing and I'm out.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

on what network?

13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh another version where some hack writer/writers thinks they can do a better job of a classic.

I'll pass..again.:rolleyes:

14. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

It's on Epix but Amazon has shown the first 3 episodes. It's pretty good so far.

Geordiepete and longdist01 like this.
  15. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Really enjoying this so far, it's certainly not afraid to get dark! Ironically, considering how awful the recent BBC adaptation was, this one feels like one of those terrific old BBC series like Day of the Triffids.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  16. Phil Tate

Your loss, it's really good.

I've never really understood this attitude - I'd rather have a well-done interesting loose adaptation where I don't know what to expect than a slavish recreation of the novel (which in my opinion would make a pretty dull movie anyway).

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

No the thing is, there are plenty of your type of version. I just want a single decent definitive version. But no...hacks gotta hack.

18. Phil Tate

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

19. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah a hack is a horse ride but I liked the sound of it. Hacks...too many of em!

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I just started watching this and am enjoying it. (I have Epix. . . really enjoyed Berlin Station and Pennyworth).

21. Same here. I also enjoyed Godfather of Harlem quite a bit, especially with some of the fantastic acting from its talented cast.

Lonson likes this.
  22. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the first couple episodes and then it turned into mellow dramatic nausea. It felt it started strong.

23. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Best version is the original with Gene Barry. It's a crime it's not out on blu Ray

Thwacko, 4_everyman and longdist01 like this.
  24. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

It will be later this year.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Wow. Excellent news. That's out on physical disc? Not a stream?

longdist01 likes this.