Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

He co-wrote the movie and set the tone for the DCEU

JediJones and Veronica Mars like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I scored it a 5 myself. Finally saw it earlier this week when it came to Redbox and I could rent the blu-ray for $2.

I agree. I don't know that this needed Snyder, but I think letting Patty Jenkins do the writing all by herself was a mistake. Why didn't the writing team who did the first one (of which she was a part) do this one also?

alexpop, Veronica Mars and sunspot42 like this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

whedon tried

4. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

That's a bit unfair.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I watched Justice League three times just for the leather pants.
    [​IMG]

PTgraphics, alexpop and Veronica Mars like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

First time I noticed her was in Fast and Furious wearing a bikini. :)

JediJones likes this.
  7. alexpop

Sorry, explain?

8. alexpop

Script / story was appallingly bad. What was the significance of “ 1984” sorta George Orwell reference, or what. Didn’t even look like the early eighties.
    Think a better story would have been set during WW 2.

Curveboy likes this.
  9. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. But the wife rented it to watch with our (college age) son who also was not interested in going out of his way to see it.

10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

joss whedon wrote/directed the avengers to great acclaim. came in to salvage justice league. even he couldn't fix it.

Veronica Mars and alexpop like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

So how does her lasso of truth grab onto lightning bolts as if they were a metal pole? Did she do that in the comics?

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Saw it in the theater. I enjoyed it. Nothing earth shattering. The first movie was better, in my opinion.

Uncle Miles and yesstiles like this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Rote and generic. Story felt padded out and not very strong to begin with. Plot holes aplenty. A WWI Pilot can instantly fly a jet? Really? Kristin Wiig wasted as the villain. Okay action entertainment but jettisons everything great and special about the first movie. Even Gal comes off as pretty bland. Like Captain Marvel and the last Spiderman movie, just kind of MEH. I am starting to think Super Hero movies have reached their plateau and the slow decline has begun.

Frozensoda and sunspot42 like this.
  14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

This movie is a massive come down from the great first one. Everything worked in the original and everything here is a mess.

I wonder if they felt pressured to make the movie so long to justify charging people $25 or $30 dollars for it at home. Because it seems to me that if your film is going to be this much of a mess with multiple plot holes you might as well just put out a campy 90 minute version and move on.

The relationship and acting between Diana and Steve was so perfect in the first movie and the ending was so moving. So it feels like something that should be left in that original story, bringing Steve back cheapens that. But if you're going to do it, this morphing into some other guy is questionable and off putting.

A major problem with WW84 is the total lack of good characters. The three guys that went on the adventure with Steve and Diana in the 2017 film were all great. Each was given enough character and shading as was necessary without a lot of dialogue or screen time. Etta Candy was really good as well.

You don't want comparable characters in a sequel but ones you care about. There's nobody like that in WW84.

As villians Danny Huston and Doctor Poison were well cast and utilized.

Pedro Pascal is an actor I'm not familiar with (although this is the fourth movie I've seen that he's in) and he's terrible. And I don't blame him, I blame the direction.

Because I think Gal Gadot is perfectly capable of selling this role. And she's generally fine here. But the scene where she says goodbye to Steve, she completely fails to sell the pain and drama. These look like outtakes where the director would take you aside and coach you into a better performance. How were these takes viewed as acceptable for a finished film?

Just a total mess.

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Finally saw this. What a mess of a movie.

Joseph LeVie and Curveboy like this.
  16. alexpop

Ironically they had time to maybe fix it .. editing at least during the lengthy Covid situation.

17. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

The movie clearly was missing Zack's influence. Gal now wants Snyder to help with the 3rd. Gal wants Johns out ( and he is) (and wouldn't mind if Jenkins left either)

JediJones and Curveboy like this.
  18. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Anyone who missed it in theaters, Regal is showing it again only in the ScreenX format for one week this month. Alternating with Aquaman the same week. Then the next week they show Detective Pikachu and some Korean movie in ScreenX, and also on Saturday only, Bohemian Rhapsody. Tickets are $7 here.

Harry Potter 1 is also showing in 4DX at Regal on two days this month I think, for $8 here.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. alexpop

The first film was a knockout.
    Cept .. nemesis end fight scene.

Also! WW GG is such a do- gooder.. a little evil ‍♂️ stance wouldn’t go amiss. Use the whip more :)

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You mean the Phoenix vs Magneto fight?

:hide:

And no offense to David Thewlis who is a wonderful actor...but he should have looked like Ares for that fight, not the actor playing him.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

David Thewlis hysterical in Mr. Nice.

22. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

In dawn of justice superman batman movie she is attacking the most powerful monster on earth. In wonder woman movie she can barely push two trucks apart.
    I enjoyed them both anyway.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. simonux

simonux Custom Title

She loses her powers in WW84.

JediJones and a customer like this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

and her dignity

simonux likes this.
  25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I saw WW84 in ScreenX as the first time seeing the movie. I liked it. Definitely liked all the characters, especially seeing how Cheetah gradually descended into evil. Kristin Wiig performed all the aspects of her character perfectly. Seeing Wonder Woman gradually lose her powers was a good idea, and a classic comic book angle that some of the best superhero movies have used in the past. I thought the revived romance was really interesting and well-played by Gal and Chris. I had no problem with the premise. I liked that it seemed appropriate for Wonder Woman, as a Greek-legend type of thing, with the powers of gods affecting the real world. I thought it was plausible the way it gradually led the world into chaos.

The overkill side of the movie came with Max Lord. He started off interesting, but his evil schemes overstayed their welcome at a certain point. I definitely would have trimmed out his White House invasion and the nuclear weapons angle. Other movies have explored that territory many times already. Cheetah is the money villain in this movie, so if any one of the two was going to dominate, it should've been her. Ultimately, this movie gives us more character development and clearer motivations than we've been getting from the solo Marvel movies lately, so it's refreshing to feel much more of a human element in a superhero movie here.

I'm glad they didn't use that song in the movie, because it would've only paled to Ready Player One's fantastic use of the song.

Zack's frequent collaborator as second-unit and action scene director Damon Caro also did that same job on the first Wonder Woman. He's done almost all of Zack's movies, and very few other movies.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021