Your most recent system tweak, did it help or hurt the sound?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by draden1, Dec 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

For my downstairs workstation/CD library, I replaced a headphone splitter and RCA Interconnect from my iMac to a back of my AVR with a BJC toslink cable thus using the AVR (Denon 3805). It was a positive improvement.

draden1 likes this.
  2. david1111

david1111 Barba non facit philosophum

Yes, many members have their speakers six to eight feet apart, and that distance is recommended by many professionals.
    But when I put my speakers about 10 ft apart, that sound really opens up, and the sound stage widens as well without losing its depth. I much prefer that as a listening experience.
    But I suppose whether that actually works or not depends on the room one is using.

bever70, Clonesteak and LakeMountain like this.
  3. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I had to look this up. It looks quite similar to the Telos device, but it seems to work on a different principle.
    [​IMG]
    I only found very positive customers reviews! Interesting product!

Apparently adding a second or third HFC MC0.5 should indeed further improve it’s effect. Are you planning to add more?

4. Added a Schiitt Loki to my rig. Love it. wish i had done it a long time ago. Superb product

bever70 and LakeMountain like this.
  5. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

I put rubber seals for freshwater pipes under the massive aluminumfeet of my turntable. They work better than all the specially for Audio Devices designed absorbers/feet (in this case).
    Cost are 6€.
    Results are more profound and precise bass, better soundstage and overall less stiffness in all (of course in small amounts, but nevertheless noticeable ).
    I presume that this works only with massive designed turntables without subchassis, like Thorens or Linn.

LakeMountain likes this.
  6. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I imagine you connect your power amps to the Titan but have you tried them in the high output outlets of the Sigmas? Was there much difference? Thanks!

7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Uglyversal,

No, I haven't tried the Sigmas on the amp because the amps sit well away from the rack that holds the sources components and preamp. My turntable (motor controller), phono stage music server and preamp are connected to the Sigma, and my power amp and headphone power amp/energizer is hooked up to the Titan.

8. Uglyversal

No problem, I am looking into conditioners and I was wondering how good the Sigmas are for power amps. Thank you very much!

9. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Hello Uglyversal,
    I am using the smaller brother Aquarius with my pretty hefty power amp and it works fine.

Uglyversal likes this.
  10. Uglyversal

Hi,

Despite the extra clarity do you feel there is any trade off, like sacrificing a bit of soundstage, or do you feel everything is a positive? Do you feed it with the Isotek premier cable, at least I understand that comes included here?

Thank you!

11. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

My first impression was that there is a little less hightone energy, but after some time ( my retailer gave me three weeks to check if I like it ) it was quite clear that it just sounds cleaner. Soundstage was better and overall sound was less attached to the speakers. Hard to describe but I prefered it that way. I can not say how this effects only the poweramp because my whole system was connected to the conditioner. And, of course, changes were subtile, but this may differ on local circumstances.
    I started with the premier but now the Aquarius is connected with a Isotec Syncro ( with additional DC-Filter ) and the poweramp connected with a Isotec Optimum.

Uglyversal likes this.
  12. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

I added a mains lead with DC Blocker, much better sound and zero hum whereas previously my amp buzzed like hell.

Uglyversal likes this.
  13. Uglyversal

Wow, you wen't all the way with the power cords. I will consider the Aquarius then, thank you very much!

14. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

I got all of it used at a demo for almost half the price, otherwise I would not have bought it.

15. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Once I get my system set, I dare not to ouch it. Nothing better or best but its just a personal preference. Yesterday while I was blasting the amp, I noticed something was not as pounding as it use to be. I looked closely to the VU meter and I notice the left side was actuating way lower than the right. I hooked up a direct mp3 player on an open rca auxiliary and it was doing the same. I told myself, oh man, now my amp is in trouble. I shut it off and left for 10 minutes, I switched both preamp and power tubes from left to right (knowing all the tubes "were" suppose to be strong 5 months ago)..
    I fired it up and after 10 minutes it was back to normal.
    I began to realize that, even if a tube reading is strong, it may not be as strong as its suppose to perform.
    But what was that all about??

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Laid down an 8x10 carpet over my bare hardwood floor. Cleared the sound up rather a bit.

yodog and draden1 like this.
  17. Uglyversal

It might be nothing, probably a pin not making proper contact could be the cause.

Lowrider75 likes this.
  18. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Did almost the same ( 9 m² thick carpet on hard PVC floor ), made a huge improvement to Acoustics, surprisingly even in the low frequenzy range.

19. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I would agree with Mr. Sign that sound-staging is improved by the Isotek--instruments seem to be less attached to the speakers. If sound-staging is a big deal to you, you should also look into the specialized grounding schemes/gear. I heard a demonstration of the Nordost grounding gear and it was quite impressive--wider, deeper soundstage, with individual vocalist or instruments seeming to be emitting sound from a real "space" rather than an artificial "point" on a flat plain. I cannot, for practical and money reasons go that route, but, it is certainly a valid route to improving the electrical environment of one's gear.

Mr.Sign likes this.
  20. Uglyversal

A combination of everything is important, I've tried a small conditioner it made improvements to the sources but with the power amp. I've discussed with other people and there were many that thought power amps and conditioners don't always get along that well.
    I've never heard of the Nordost grounding system before. I had a quick look and if I understood the options, at first glance it seems the cost is going to be beyond my budget and end up with even more cables. The prices I saw are based on the US market. Here in Australia is likely to be more and the dealers I know that might allow me to tests equipment before buying don't carry Nordost but I will keep it in mind and read a bit more tonight. Thank you.

21. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

My most recent tweak was accidental (sort of ) and it made the sound noticeably better. We bought a larger sectional couch to replace the smaller one we had and it is made of a nice soft fabric that seems to act as a nice room treatment. The bass is definitely tighter and sounds better. I am pretty happy with the upgrade, because I wasn't even thinking about how it would affect the sound until I sat down and started listening. Was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

Tlay, yodog, Bob_in_OKC and 3 others like this.
  22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

New digital TT Scale.

For 2020 that would be a digital scale for my TT. When I got my new EAT Jo No. 8 cartridge last year, my dealer installed it and I checked it on a Shure SFG-2 balance beam type scale after the drive home and it seemed to be fine. I have never been a fan of that scale, I found it hard to use with my aging eyes. Lately I played 2 high quality Analogue Productions disks and heard some mistracking on the high energy passages in the music. I decided to get a digital scale and when I rechecked the tracking it was at 1.8 gm vs the 2.2 - 2.3 gm I thought it should be. I used the digital scale to set the tracking to 2.25 and mistarcking issues gone.

Tlay and Dan Steely like this.
  23. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Two more tweaks to add in this thread. I recently installed an Adona Corporation AV45G5 rack and an Audioquest Niagara 3000 conditioner. These replaced a heavy duty plastic shelving unit and a Furman PFi 15 conditioner. Both upped the enjoyment factor quite a bit with the rack improving separation of vocals/instruments.

The Niagara 3000 is something else entirely, it has really enlarged the soundstage. Sounds float more and there is no mistaking the added layers of height and depth that make it easier and more fun to pick specific things out and stay with them throughout a song. I always had my amp plugged directly into the wall as the Furman somewhat neutered the dynamics. With the amp plugged into the Niagara 3000, it’s definitely better than the wall...it’s jamming!

I said it earlier in the thread but YMMV as to how much difference you’ll notice with these tweaks in your system. My gear was already pretty revealing so these latest tweaks are allowing them to perform at a higher level. To my delight, I’m surprised at how much higher they are performing.

Dorian75, Mr.Sign, Tlay and 2 others like this.
  24. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Very cheap tweak with possibly major consequences: periodically check the integrity of your system connections. Loose jacks and the like can drastically affect SQ. This simple step is too often overlooked and can cause a whole lot of frustration.

25. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Bought some BJ rca interconnects.

didn’t do a damn thing. Lmao

jj817 and LakeMountain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.