Amoeba LA to close?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zakyfarms, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Of course I do, but 15 years doesn't even date back the the 20th Century. It isn't as if they're tearing down the Whisky or anything. People will learn to deal.

2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

What's the specific length of time something has to be somewhere in order to matter?

AidanB, somnar and theshape like this.
  3. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

[​IMG]

That's alright, I have my seven story Tower Records which is still open (Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan)...

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Approximately five years farther back than I give a crap. Because my opinion is the only one that matters, you dig?

Or you know, you could simply let my viewpoint slide and move on.

5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

This article is saddening, shocking, a slice of bitter real estate reality, but at the same time also not entire surprising.

Why? Let's toss out some simple generalizations... :
    It goes without saying, Companies are always looking to increase their profits.
    Hollywood is hot property now, more than ever... The "cleaner" and "family friendly" the area becomes, all the more enticing for real estate developers.

When square footage increases in value, how do you multiply that revenue?
    Expand vertically!

I don't begrudge Amoeba from taking the lucrative offer.
    Hopefully they'll relocate to an even larger location, even if in a less touristy area.

I think it'd be in the best interests of Hollywood and it's council members to keep this huge traffic generator in it's district.

But, as others have pointed out, there are many other retail spaces in Los Angeles!

melstapler likes this.
  6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

What would be great in New York, and LA for that matter, is a branch of Disk Union from Japan.

7. Marc Perman

Sunset and Hollywood boulevards east of LaBrea were scuzzy for many years, and I see the development that's been happening as mostly a good thing for the city. There's blocks and blocks of dingy buildings east of Amoeba, I'm sure they'll find suitable space if they have to move. Perhaps a better deal on rent will allow them to bring their inflated vinyl prices back to earth.

And lest any non Angelinos worry for us, the record shopping is great here, as has been discussed on another recent thread. There's about a dozen stores I frequent, time and money permitting.

mikeyt, somnar, zphage and 2 others like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The next Amoeba, if they decide to have another one in LA will have a coffee bar, clothing dept. and other things mixed into the music retail environment.

Many will long for the old.

I don't care either way. But it's interesting how their real estate investment paid off nicely.

I would not blame them if they walked away from music retail and retired on Maui.

9. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

A major platform of California's greenhouse gas reduction strategy is intense densification of our urban cores - putting people much closer to jobs and reducing vehicle trips, the largest source of the state's GHG emissions, by far. We are only going to hear more stories like this in the coming years.

davers likes this.
  10. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, that IS an amazing store, and I've only had time to shop on just 2 floors when I visited...
    I am truly envious of you!

But, for me, the big advantage that Amoeba(s) have is their Used sections, for CDs, Vinyl, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc, with huge inventory so it seems one visit isn't long enough, yet there's still a quick turnover of their massive stock.

(Unlike visiting other used record stores, where one can see stale, familiar old stock lingering over constant visits.)

I realize the sheer volume is the key, but I've never left Amoeba without buying a Used item I've been looking for.

11. Marc Perman

Amoeba Hollywood could honestly do with less space than what they're currently in. CD's still take up a majority of the floor space and we know where that's going.

How's business on Haight St. and Telegraph Ave.? I'd be more worried about the SF store than LA.

12. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Maybe a new location will even have a customer bathroom! :idea: I limit the frequency and duration of my visits to Amoeba because of this very customer-unfriendly policy.

melstapler and PsychGuy like this.
  13. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

I very rarely visit the SF branch, but Berkeley is always busy when I drop in. The Berkeley Rasputin's recently pulled all of their vinyl and relocated it to a space across the street from Amoeba, where they also sell books. They have cleverly named the new store Mad Monk Center for Anachronistic Media.

NorCal likes this.
  14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane. Thread Starter

The SF store cut their evening hours a year or two ago, which makes me worried.
    I also heard somewhere that the owners are using the profits from LA to keep SF and Berkeley open. As I can't remember where I heard that, best classify it as rumor.

15. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane. Thread Starter

I can't even imagine the horrors of trying to maintain a customer restroom at the SF store, knowing the locals.
    Maybe it's different in LA.

Blender likes this.
  16. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

17. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

Sunset Blvd. is difficult with the street population which hangs out in the area. However, Rockaway and Record Surplus manage to pull it off.

melstapler likes this.
  18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The Telegraph Ave location is never as busy as it used to be, though it gets more traffic on the weekends (it can be pretty dead on week days). Same with the Haight St. location, though that one seems to get more tourists. Both stores have cut their hours.

A friend of mine who works at the Haight St. location once told me that if it ever comes down to closing one of the two Bay Area locations, they'd probably close the flagship Berkeley store. He emphasized it hasn't come to that yet, but that the Haight St. store generates more revenue. And that's depressing news for this East Bay resident (though I go to the SF store fairly often).

davers and NorCal like this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

They're ruining most of the major cities here in America. Ugly population control high rise buildings being erected, iconic businesses being ejected and crooked politicians being elected.

Turn me loose, set me free
    Somewhere in the middle of Montana
    And give me all I've got comin' to me
    And keep your retirement
    And your so called social security
    Big city, turn me loose and set me free

20. Marc Perman

There's a bathroom in the back of the main room, which an employee will unlock if you ask. There's also the charming Jack In The Box across the street.

wes4usc likes this.
  21. Marc Perman

I've loved buying anachronistic media at the Berkeley Rasputin's over the years, always a huge selection.

davers, Blender and NorCal like this.
  22. Marc Perman

23. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

A few years ago I flew from Melb Australia to LA USA with the major purpose of shopping at Amoeba Hollywood. It was like a dream after spending 3-4 days shopping for CDs & DVDs etc
    I have been to the San Fransisco & Berkeley stores previously and although I enjoyed the shops I had a terrifying experience with the amount of drugged out and at times violent people I came across in and near Berkeley.
    I hope to go on another trip to LA for more exciting shopping at Amoeba in the future.
    Don't close guys!

dlemaudit and Daryl Broussard like this.
  24. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

All the homeless that hang at Jack in the Box across the street are going to be displaced too, with a huge new hotel going up in that location, probably a lot sooner than any movement at Amoeba

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  25. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I'm fine if they move locations. I'm just getting sick of buildings getting torn down so rich people can move into outrageously priced apartments. The way things are going, you'd have to be in the 1% to live in this city. Pretty much every spot has been gentrified. I'll be leaving soon.

wayneklein and ted321 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.