Anyone here read comics?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member

What, no one's yet mentioned Neil Adams? My favorite comic book artist of them all!

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

RDK- If you donot read my post and the other post above regarding Neal Adams you are stupid ass-donkey ***** who no like comics!!!

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

Oops - I was skimming and missed it!

(What's the egg-on-your-face smilie look like?)

:o

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I grew up on the Marvel stuff of the late 70s. I think one of the most underated artists was Gene Colan. A lot of his stuff is simply amazing to look at.

Regards,

5. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Well, look at the thread I've stumbled onto! :D

I've been a enthusiast since the 60's when I was a kid growing up in Oklahoma. By 1969 my interest had extended to Golden Age & 50's era comic books, especially Jack Cole's Plastic Man for Quality and (orig., Lev Gleason Pub.) Daredevil, Marvel/Timely's Human Torch (by Carl Burgos) and Sub-Mariner (by Bill Everett), EC comics (esp., Weird Science & Weird Fantasy) and many others! I attended major comic conventions in the southwest and it encouraged/influenced my direction in space SF & realist art later on. I eventually sold my collection rather than store it in safe deposit boxes due to the rapid escalation in values between the 70's and early 90's which outstripped even Wall Street investments! However, nostalgic interests rarely ever wane and I've found excellent means of re-collecting and extending my collection of the old classics in comic art in more permanent form and for pennies on the dollar compared to the current market value of the originals. It's primarily through DC's (Hardcover) Archive Editions which normally retail at $49.95msrp, but can often be found at discounts ranging from 25% to 40% through a number of internet book vendors.

The best of the HC Archives, are IMHO:

Plastic Man Archives Vol. I - IV (...so far; published in order of original appearance, incl. orig. covers from the Qualty Comics classics which DC now owns & featuring Jack Cole's art)

Blackhawk Archives Vol. I (First volume out in '91, with more soon hopefully; features early stories and covers illustrated by the talents of Reed Crandall, et all.)

Shazam Archives Vol. I - 3 (Early Capt. Marvel exploits from Whiz Comics, Capt. Marvel Adventures and Specila Edition Comics in the order of appearnce with covers reproduced; C.C. Beck art)

Starman Archives Vol. I (Early stories from DC's Adventure Comics featured character with covers and art by Jack Burnley)

Spirit Archives Vol. I - IX (...and counting! The classic newspaper comic book sleuth created by Will Eisner and published in order from the first insert in 1940 to it's proposed 25 volume completion, ending with Wally Wood's space Spirit exploits in 1952)

In addition to the numerous golden age archive editions there are equally supurb silver age archives including, among my favorites, the Barry Allen Flash with art by Carmine Infantino and the Joe Kubert drawn Hawkman series starting in The Brave & the Bold tryout series comic. Of recent interest is the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents HC Archive Editions DC is putting out features some of the best artists ever to work in the field (Wally Wood, Reed Crandall, Steve Ditko, Al Williamson, etc.)!

Whew! :eek:

:cheers:
    Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.