Back to the cinema - will / have you ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Johnny Action, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

No cinemas open here where I live, even using social distancing. But I hear that it’s coming. Who among you live in places were cinemas are reopening? Have you been? Will you go?

There’s this really cool art house cinema in my town ( Tacoma, Washington) and I’m thinking that if they do reopen, I might go as long as I can wear my N 95 mask.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Haven't because they're not open.

Will go when they do!

Johnny Action likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

More than a couple of local outfits have engaged in socialy-distanced drive-in set-ups in public areas. Our local indie theater is doing their second event tonight, and I expect it will be twice as well-attended...still with plenty of room to spare.

It's easy to work with a distributor to let them use a well-known general-audience "event" movie such as Footloose or E.T., rent a projector, inflatable screen and commandeer the low-power FM transmitter from the theater booth. Then find a large public space such as a mall parking lot (or in Harrisburg's case, the Farm Show Complex lot), and break into the unused popcorn supply for easy snacking. Cars don't have to keep their motors running, they can back-into the spaces, and even being a boom box if they need.

It's been pretty well-received here, and the Pennsylvania Renaissance Fair up the road, is doing events now as well (plus, they get traffic for their on-site winery, so...!). I think they're doing Robin Hood this month (duh-!).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Johnny Action likes this.
  4. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Until Covid is dead and gone, no way. VUDU wants $29.95 to stream a new release first run movie, what a deal. That's triple what I would pay for one ticket at the theater.

Bradd and bmasters9 like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don’t want hard cash.
    So no option(for me).

Allowed ?
    If it was some D.C./MCU film. I’d go in the afternoon sit down front / mask on preferably theatre empty.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  6. alexpop

I’m sure if they just put the film out on dvd for $10.00 it would sell a truck load.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yep! My town has their cinema opened. Just recently saw "The Rental" which was pretty good. They have a single check point entrance with the rest of the doors locked to enforce wearing a mask and to have patrons temperature checked.

I was the only one in my theater watching the movie. There doesn't seem to be the crowds like it used to be even on Friday and through the weekend.

But I'm a bit disappointed in their selection of movies which mostly are reruns decades old with some recent super hero action flicks...

EVO Cinemas

8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Not yet, but I'm going to a 35mm screening of THX1138 later in the week and next week I'm going to Back to the Future because I've never seen that one in the cinema either.
    I was a little bit bummed because I've paid for the THX tickets and another cinema is showing Star Wars on the same night.

harmonica98 and Exotiki like this.
  9. alexpop

Not going to the cinema for old films. Have a 55” plasma for them.

NEW Movies Big budget cgi..or nothing.

Here’s my paper money $$$$$$$$$. :)

10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yes! Since small theatres have started to reopen here in July, I've been to the movies three times.

Screenings I've attended:
    - Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas
    - The Blues Brothers (Extended Version)
    - Berlin Alexanderplatz (the latest adaption)

11. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

No, I was actually turned of by the movie going experience last year. I dislike the slew of commercials before a movie starts, the constant noises of people eating (Why can't people just eat normally in a movie theatre),, phones that suddenly light up, people loudly explaining the movie to their friends/kids that haven't paid attention.

Plus...I can wait until a movie gets a home release (which is even faster nowadays) and enjoy it at home. I've got a great home set up and the advantages of starting a movie when I want, pausing it, watching it with who I want greatly outweigh the advantage of just seeing it earlier. I have a fairly large movie collection as it is so if I have to watch a movie I have plenty of options. I don't NEED to watch that specific movie unless it's one that I'm greatly anticipating like Infinity War and Endgame. After Far From Home though, I don't see any upcoming Marvel movies that I'm particularly excited for. Perhaps Dr Strange's new movie but it's not like I have to see that movie right away when it releases.

Scott222C likes this.
  12. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

My wife doesn't want to do anything social until there's a vaccine, and I can't really disagree with her. I might consider an outdoor event like a drive-in movie.

JohnBeas likes this.
  13. alexpop

Going to be a long long time for new MCU media.

14. alexpop

100 inch TV anyone. :)

15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I might consider it if there is something I want to see. Most of the types of movies I like seem like they are going to be headed mostly to streaming these days.

But I am very undecided about going back to theaters, although I used to go very often before the pandemic.

I have no idea when they will reopen here.

16. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

How can you US folks even be considering going out to the cinema at this point? I'm stunned.

17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

What's to be stunned about?

I live in a small town of around 90k population and we all wear a mask when we go out in public places where there's a potential of not being able to social distance.

I think you should be stunned that conservative Texas folks are even wearing masks and social distancing. I'm stunned and I'm a native Texan.

shug4476 and bmasters9 like this.
  18. alexpop

Or going in droves to the beach, UK. :)

Johnny66 likes this.
  19. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

It will depend on what's on & whether both me & my Sister like the film.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  20. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Stay home, microwave popcorn, enjoy the movies safely.

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It is good to consider things and weigh options. For sure I will not be first in line to go, and if I do decide to go, it will be to a showing with only a handful of patrons in the auditorium, seated far, far, far away from me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Not until there's a reliable vaccine or treatment.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Who would have thought that a dying experience like a drive-in would be a viable option in these Covid-19 days ?

24. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

No. Finding things to do around the house. A couple of nights this week we watched Wheel Of Fortune and shut the tv off. We used to go out for dinner on Fridays before Covid and since Friday is normally our shortest work day we have been making meals that take more time than we have Mon-Thursday. Don’t see us going back to movies, eating out, and other things like that again.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The nearest Cineplex to me is now open, there's nothing worth seeing right now. I'll go see Tenet for sure.

Train To Busan Presents: Peninsula (Korean w/e.s.t.)
    The Invisible Man
    Bloodshot
    Bad Boys for Life
    Jaws
    Jurassic Park
    My Spy

jlocke08 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.